help needed: RSX vs. RS9000

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

calbear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alrite guys help me make my decision fast so I can buy a set of Rancho shocks before I blow away my extra cash(on a air rifle) or RSX shocks go out of stock.

First of all, I have a 2006 CRD with no winch or bullbar

terrain they will be used in:
During the weekdays 50 mile commute on highway/ beat up industrial area roads
Weekends offroading on flat lands, forest little bit of sand. no rock crawling.

How much lift I want: around 2.5 inches with
OME HD(or MD) springs front/back
RRO front strut space / 1 extra isolator in the rear

Tires: Probably BFG ATs in 245/75/16 or 245/70/16 whatever I can clear with NO rubbing.

Kinda ride I am looking for:
Won't make my commute miserable(only vehicle I own)
Don't want to lose high speed handling on the highway(gets scary even with soft stock shocks)
MORE CLEARANCE OFFROAD AND IN SNOW

So according to this description RSX 17000 or RS9000 XL? Help me decide

If it changes anything I won't be getting the myride system for awhile.

thanks

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
First think about what springs you are going to use. The CRD will sag the heck out of mediums and the Heavy Dutys are 10 lb lighter than what you have stock! OME HDs 400 lb, Stock CRD 410 Lb.
So now go with OME 790s in the front (CRD springs)
OME 948s in the rear
I like the Ranchos RSX's but have heard the CRD like the OME shocks up front more??
RS9000 XLs not heard good or bad, still researching them
Remember also that you can not get the height out of a CRD as much as you can a gasser. TonyCRD will pop in soon I am sure he's tested out some combinations

calbear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if both of you say RSX are too soft for CRD front I am ruling them out.

Tony, do you suggest the Konis?
I'm never a fan of mixing different brands of shocks and struts. But if it is tested and proven I might as well go with that combo.

calbear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I looked into Koni fronts and they seem to be top quality products. However as I stated before I'm not a fan of mixing brands when it comes to suspension products.

As I ruled out Rancho RSX before I am left with OME and RS9000

When you say OME fronts are mushy. How mushy are we talking about? I am not a hard offroader so a little mushy is fine by me. It might even help on the torn- up roads I drive during the weekdays.

Then there is the new 9000s. I know there is only 1 guy who installed these on here but I haven't read any reviews bad or good. If I buy these I will eventually add myride system so I dont have to crawl under the vehicle.

Tough choice!! :(

maybe I should come and get a ride in your Jeep while I am in Barcelona next month :)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I looked into Koni fronts and they seem to be top quality products. However as I stated before I'm not a fan of mixing brands when it comes to suspension products.

As I ruled out Rancho RSX before I am left with OME and RS9000

When you say OME fronts are mushy. How mushy are we talking about? I am not a hard offroader so a little mushy is fine by me. It might even help on the torn- up roads I drive during the weekdays.

Then there is the new 9000s. I know there is only 1 guy who installed these on here but I haven't read any reviews bad or good. If I buy these I will eventually add myride system so I dont have to crawl under the vehicle.

Tough choice!! :(

maybe I should come and get a ride in your Jeep while I am in Barcelona next month :)
The Rancho RSX front struts are stiffer then the OME's,the 9000's should be a tad "mushier" the the RSX's.My gas KJ was way heavier then a CRD by over 1000lbs(even before the SFA) and the Rancho RSX's gave a outstanding firm ride.You can always look at Bilistiens also,they make struts/shocks for the KJ and are probally about the best shocks in the world right now.

calbear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify things when you say OME fronts are mushy, do you mean my front will be bouncing around on/ offroad and I will lose handling.

or they are just mushier than Konis but still ride good?

Remember I am only a light weekend offroader so on the road handling is also important

I found a great deal on OMEs that's why I am asking.

calbear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at the OMEs but the shocks were no good! :(

So I am going with Bilsteins now. I think they will give me good handling along with good support for occasional offroad use.

Marlin told me he can get me BE5-2790-H0 Durango rear shocks but he has also F4-BE5-6458-H5(for Wrangler) listed on the site. Any input on which one I should go for?

Spidey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to get Bilsteins all around myself, pretty soon, the ones for a Durango for the rear and the Liberty ones for the front obviously. I would shop around a bit too if I were you, there are some deals to be had, maybe Marlin will price match.