Help! MBRP Exhaust drone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gc976

Reaction score
So I recently installed an MBRP catback exhaust after searching for weeks about the right exhaust.

Driving around 1800-2300 the drone is so bad that I’m considering selling the exhaust now. If anyone has any solutions please let me know

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it on the highway that the droning is bad, or is it an all the time type of thing? Hate to say it, but it's only as loud as your engine revs are high.

It's been said before that the stock exhaust is the best exhaust available for the Liberty.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. That’s why I didn’t buy that. I heard one in person and got the dna kit instead and for a fraction of the cost

Joenavy85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got an 18" Glasspack on mine, not much drone, but a little raspy when you get on it good.

Gc976

Reaction score
Sadly I think I might just be going back to stock if I can’t get it figured out

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sadly I think I might just be going back to stock if I can’t get it figured out

Thats why the 03 and 05 will stay stock, 04 has the Magnaflow on it
But I like to talk to people thats with me going down the road

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adding a resonator should help. Or changing to a different muffler. BUT, if it doesn't do what you want it to, then your now out the time, labor and money for it as well as the exhaust. Plus, I doubt anyone would want to buy it after it has been cut up to add the resonator or change the muffler.

FWIW, I have a Thrush turbo (17717) with the stock piping. Came on the Jeep when I bought it. Has an "outside" tone/growl, but can't tell inside, no matter what the rpm's or mph's.

Here's a quick vid I did awhile ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtOI6S3MHNo

Gc976

Reaction score
Adding a resonator should help. Or changing to a different muffler. BUT, if it doesn't do what you want it to, then your now out the time, labor and money for it as well as the exhaust. Plus, I doubt anyone would want to buy it after it has been cut up to add the resonator or change the muffler.

FWIW, I have a Thrush turbo (17717) with the stock piping. Came on the Jeep when I bought it. Has an "outside" tone/growl, but can't tell inside, no matter what the rpm's or mph's.

Here's a quick vid I did awhile ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtOI6S3MHNo
I don’t want to cut the new exhaust and ruin it, I still have the original exhaust and I might but that back on

Gc976

Reaction score
Thats why the 03 and 05 will stay stock, 04 has the Magnaflow on it
But I like to talk to people thats with me going down the road
It sounds nice on the outside and everything but I’m kinda wishing I didn’t change it up now

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not trying to say you’re wrong but I think if I added a resonator to mine it would be back to stock sound. The muffler on the system now is basically a giant resonator with large louvers to knock off drone. The face one way for half and the other way the other half
I consider the unmonitored cat down there another “baffle”.

You must be registered for see images attach