HELP!! Lost Key w/FOB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EdgarNYU

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My wife has "LOST" the key in one of the worst neighborhoods in NYC. Now we can't visit our daughter there(or PARK at least) because someone would really hold onto the key for a long time.

What would you do?

I thought of reprogramming the transponders(FOBs) but that would mean I would have to do that to the BCM(computer) right???

Then there is the lock to deal with. Even if I reprogram the frequency on the Renny( so no one can try to find it), they can still try the key on any JEEP they want.

Just changing the locks means that I CAN park there(why would I?) but I can come back find it vandalized.

Should I just change it all? How much would ita ll be? #-o

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Locks are to keep honest people out of your car! They only slow a potential theif down by about 10 seconds, if someone wants your KJ, they will get it with or without a key.

Think statistics for a moment. How many KJs are in NYC? I doubt that the finder of your keys are trying every KJ that enters the area, and if they did, I bet they'd give up in relatively short order becuse they have a lot of work to do.

In fact, look at the total number of all Jeeps in NYC manufactured since the mid 90's. If they had found your keys near your car, they would have stole it then. So they probably found it nowhere near your KJ. So what do they have? A key & a fob that say Jeep on them! That narrows it down to what, 1 out of 7 vehichles? Plus, they have used that style key & fob for 10 years or so; unless they are savvy enough to look on the back & see the words Daimler Chrysler, & then know when that corporate merger happened, they have to try every Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Liberty, & Commander made since the mid 90's!!!

This is also assuming a less than moral person found your keys. Even in the worst neighborhood in NYC, I bet most of the inhabitants are honest. That is my experience with bad neighborhoods, anyway. Your daughter is probably not the only honest person there!

I'd just change the frequency for the fob. If someone is looking for the compatable jeep, they are most likely using the keyless entry function only. Trying a key in every Jeep would be too much work.

Please don't take this comment wrong, I don't mean any offense, but maybe you should ask- if you're afraid to take a $25,000 car to this neighborhood, Why is your daughter living there?

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
Where in NY Edgar, East NY? just change the frequency, doubt anyone will actually try use the key. like what kjpilot said, they'd have to try a lot of jeeps. and how often do you go to this said area? ppl tend to be impatient, and if they do try it, and it doesnt work the first few times...then they'd just give up, and either dump the key, or it will be just sitting somewhere to be forgotten. get a club or something, or an aftermarket alarm that will only work w/ the new reprogrammed frequency if it will make u feel a lil better

tgh117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Shouldn't really be a problem, people if they are trying to find your jeep would run around pushing the button and run the battery dead most likely.

On a side note, both my wife and myself have each unlocked a mitsubishi car at the local shopping mall by unlocking our jeep. When I did it, the car was parked with its front bumper to my front bumper, and when my wife did it the car was parked next to her. I could even set off the panic alarm with the jeep key and open the trunk. It was really strange, so in that case, the person with the mitsubishi could probably have opened my car as welll. I am not going to worry about it, have insurance to cover that sort of thing anyway, and I figure if somebody wants something in my jeep, then can smash the window out a lot faster then fiddling around with a key to get in.

Good luck.

Gordo

Reaction score
I had an expirience like that too once. I was in my college parking lot and hit the lock button on my Jeep FOB. It set off an aftermarket car alarm nearby. When I unlocked the Jeep, the alarm went off. There are only so many frequencies available, and with nearly every car using keyless entry now, you are bound to match with somebody somewhere.

Anyways, reprogram your Jeep for the new FOBS for your peace of mind, and you should be good to go.

Latest posts

Members online