Help!! Jeep won't start and I'm stranded

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My jeep won't start. Ran fine and no problems getting here but now nothing. When I pulled into the parking spot and put it in park it did roll forward a bit but nothing else out of the ordinary. I seem to have plenty of power, radio, fan, etc work. Battery cables are tight. No clicking sound, nothing. The only thing I can notice is its really easy to move the gear shifter. Nothing I can think of that seems out of place.

Help!!

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only thing I can suggest is trying to starting neutral.
That and try to make sure the battery is actually at the right voltage. It's not uncommon for jeeps not to start if the battery is slightly off. Got to be the exact right voltage to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did try in neutral, that's when I felt the shifter was a little easy to move. I've got nothing to check the battery with. I guess I can try to find someone who'll try and jump start it.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the shifter bezel off and make sure the cables did not break or slip off the clips

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't the gear shifter be able to move back and forth easily, i.e. with foot on the break, and it moving is normal? Does it feel like it's not moving between each gear or into park? I'm not sure if it can be cranked unless it's in Park, am I right? Is it not even clicking or trying to turn over? Maybe starter, mine failed without starting to struggle or giving signs that it was failing, just up and decided to not do its thing anymore. Any lights on, check engine maybe? If so you can check the codes pretty simply.

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No codes. I did take the bezel off and everything looks ok, both cables are attached. As far as shifting easy, I don't think it's clicking through the gears. The shifter just slides really easy and pretty smooth. It just doesn't feel normal I guess. I'm wondering if a cable or linkage are something might have broke or come off. Could the neutral safety switch have gone bad? I have noticed it's been taking more cranks to start it lately but I didn't really think anything of it. I'm at my appointment so I can't look into it until I'm done. I need to get back home though so I need to figure something out. I've got a tool bag in back so I can fix something simple. If it's too much I'll have to get it towed.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
No codes. I did take the bezel off and everything looks ok, both cables are attached. As far as shifting easy, I don't think it's clicking through the gears. The shifter just slides really easy and pretty smooth. It just doesn't feel normal I guess. I'm wondering if a cable or linkage are something might have broke or come off. Could the neutral safety switch have gone bad? I have noticed it's been taking more cranks to start it lately but I didn't really think anything of it. I'm at my appointment so I can't look into it until I'm done. I need to get back home though so I need to figure something out. I've got a tool bag in back so I can fix something simple. If it's too much I'll have to get it towed.

Sounds like shift cable end at the ****** is disconnected? Think there is a bushing there like the tcase. That would mean you aren't in park and the shifter would move. Can you get under it to see that one?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the bushing failed I believe you can wire or ziptie it to get you home. Should be on the drivers side of either ****** and pretty easy to get to.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the lever came free of the linkage

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, right under the driver's side front door between the front dshaft and the ******. The 45RFE has a pretty robust connection but it looks like it could wear and pop off. If yours did come undone then maybe you just need to pop it back on for now? If it didn't pop off, check that the cable is tight and you didn't bust a bracket allowing slack.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sorry, not a very good image. :emotions34:

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, right under the driver's side front door between the front dshaft and the ******. The 45RFE has a pretty robust connection but it looks like it could wear and pop off. If yours did come undone then maybe you just need to pop it back on for now? If it didn't pop off, check that the cable is tight and you didn't bust a bracket allowing slack.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sorry, not a very good image. :emotions34:

Thank you. I'm finally done so I'll go take a look.

tombo_ontario

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that linkage we re disconnected I'd find it hard to believe that is the cause of the no starting. I've always found my shifter really easy to move. I'd be more inclined to think it's a broken ignition actuator pin in the steering column. Would explain everything electrical working but no starter or anything.

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I got under there and the mount the shift cable goes to on the transmission had slipped off the ****** shifter shaft. I popped it back on and all seems good. I'll tighten it up in the garage at home before I drive it again. It was a pretty simple issue and an easy fix. Problem solved. Thanks again!!

Latest posts

Members online