Help I don't know what's wrong!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure how to jump the starter pork chop took the starter out and looking and reading what you said my moms boyfriend is not understanding

To jump start the starter:

Make sure you are in PARK and handbrake is pulled on.

Turn on ignition.

Take a screwdriver and and using the metal shaft short out the small wire on the solenoid (Yellow/Grey) to the large stud with the large red wire connected....careful not to touch ground anywhere with the screwdriver...expect to see some sparks flying when doing this procedure.

This bypasses all of the things like ignition switch and starter relays.
If the engine does not turn over then the solenoid must be faulty.

If the engine does turn over then it means you have a problem further up ie. the ignition or the Starter Relay.:hmm:

Last edited:

djr8505

Reaction score
I personally would recommend the crank and cam position sensors. When mine went, the Jeep would crank until I drained the battery but no start. Once the sensors were replaced it fired right up. It did throw a CEL when they went bad. The bang/clunk you heard from the engine before things went down might have been loss of timing in the engine and then entering limp mode.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally would recommend the crank and cam position sensors. When mine went, the Jeep would crank until I drained the battery but no start. Once the sensors were replaced it fired right up. It did throw a CEL when they went bad. The bang/clunk you heard from the engine before things went down might have been loss of timing in the engine and then entering limp mode.

The OP's Jeep does not even turn over....we are trying to bypass the whole ignition side by jumping out the solenoid and then working back through the ignition side.....then the sensors may come into play.

crazyjeepkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
push it off a cliff that should fix the problem lol

(biggthumpup)

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
push it off a cliff that should fix the problem lol

(biggthumpup)

Sounds like a good idea !!!!

It will turn over for like 2 secs but that's it I can hear the battery engage and the fuel pump cycle and the starter is new and the alternator trys to turn when I turn it on, but something won't let it?? We haven't been able to get to work on it again because the rain but my boyfriends friend said he would come over and look at it for $30 JUST TO TELL ME WHAT'S WRONG WITH IT when he came over I told him every thing I have done to it, let him see for him self but he seems to think the timing is messed up when all he did was the same thing we did but stick a screw driver in one of the spark plugs for what reason I don't understand

and i have looked it up on youtube 06 jeep liberty bad timing chain and they start so I dont know what to belive??

Last edited:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea !!!!

It will turn over for like 2 secs but that's it I can hear the battery engage and the fuel pump cycle and the starter is new and the alternator trys to turn when I turn it on, but something won't let it?? We haven't been able to get to work on it again because the rain but my boyfriends friend said he would come over and look at it for $30 JUST TO TELL ME WHAT'S WRONG WITH IT when he came over I told him every thing I have done to it, let him see for him self but he seems to think the timing is messed up when all he did was the same thing we did but stick a screw driver in one of the spark plugs for what reason I don't understand

and i have looked it up on youtube 06 jeep liberty bad timing chain and they start so I dont know what to belive??

I do not know what you mean by "alternator tries to turn"? Remove the serpentine belt temporarily and spin the alternator to see if it moves freely...the engine should also turn easier with the belt off!

You need to pull a spark plug out...connect it to the coil pack and rest the outer metal section of the plug on a metal engine part...then with ignition ON and jumping the solenoid...have a look at the plug to see if you are getting a spark jumping across the spark plug gap....probably not.

We need to move back to why the solenoid is not engaging when you turn the ignition key...my first guess is that the actuator pin that activated the ignition switch is broken....have a look at the Sticky "how to start with broken ignition".

Does this Jeep have an Auto box or manual?

Check fuse 8 (40A) in the fuse box under the hood....if this is OK then the starter motor must engage when you jumper pins 87 and 30 in the starter relay socket.

Last edited:

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks billwill the rain has stopped to day gonna try your last post then do the starter trick you told me how to do, found the sticky great at explaining the work!...if your telling me works I will owe you big time!! and the copper wiring in the alternator you can see it trying to turn when you go to start the jeep, and yes it moves freely when we took the belt off before

aaa small question wheres the solenoid?? on older cars it was on the firewall we looked last night n couldnt find it!
is this it
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/purge-solenoid-replacement-cost-35504/ < click the link

Last edited:

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It starts to crank then just stops!!! he pulled the abs fuse tried to start it the esp and abs lights and traction came on he shut it off put the fuse back in did the same and NOW THE ******* ABS ESP AND TRAC LIGHTS ARE STILL ON!!! im posting the video of before he pulled it and ill show a picture of now when i try to start all the lights reg lights come on but now those 3 lights stay on I'm just ready to explode

heres the video link
2013-04-15_09-27-07_708 - YouTube

Now this is after he pulled the fuse and put it back in and the lights show up
2013-04-15_11-55-18_554 - YouTube

Its always tryed to turn over but what IM showing is the esp and abs and trac light on now

but now thats its cranked once I thought well lets see what the code reader says, it gave me these codes and i looked the codes up in my book
p0340 camshaft position sensor A - bank 1 circuit malfunction
p0700 trans control sys malfunction
p0340
p0562 system voltage low

Last edited:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think don't worry too much about the ABS, ESP lights etc....they will probably clear themselves after driving for a while.

The solenoid (starter solenoid) is the piece of metal bolted onto the back of the starter motor...the solenoid has the thin wire and the thick wire connected....nothing to do with the purge solenoid.

You took the serpentine belt off earlier...you sure you put it back correctly?...there should be a diagram on the front of the engine on how the serpentine belt threads.

How are you turning the engine over at the moment?..ignition ON and jumpering the pins in the Starter Relay socket?

Is the engine turning over as fast as it used to do before these problems or is it really straining to move?

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced the camshaft sensor and its just turning over but no start..

Its turning over fast and we are jumping the starter relay pins 30 and 87 and we can start it from the ignition too but it just keeps turning over but no start we replaced the camshaft sensor and that's when it started turning over any ideas after that?? Every time I hook up the code reader its only giving me 2 codes but the same p0340

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced the camshaft sensor and its just turning over but no start..

Its turning over fast and we are jumping the starter relay pins 30 and 87 and we can start it from the ignition too but it just keeps turning over but no start we replaced the camshaft sensor and that's when it started turning over any ideas after that?? Every time I hook up the code reader its only giving me 2 codes but the same p0340

That code indicates you are having an issue with the cam position sensor or the wiring. Did you use a factory sensor? If not that could be your trouble - I only use factory/dealer sensors for this very reason.

If you used a factory sensor, double check the connection at the sensor and through the harness where it connects to the main section. You may have a short somewhere in the harness so the sensor isn't sending proper signals to the computer.

Bob

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Code P0340 can be caused by a bad crank sensor also even though it states cam sensor.You need a scope to test both sensors for a good square wave pattern while cranking the engine.Sadly scopes are hard to come by these days and the ones you find will run several thousand dollars and usually attached to a high end scanner.

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best tool to use to test sensors,quick and painless and have a yeah or nay in seconds.

I found a nice little single channel scope for $300,about the size of a IPAD.Does what I need and that battery lasts a very long time.

uScope 1-channel automotive scope

yeah crank was what my boyfriend told me to change first i did after the starter and then i waited for the rain to stop to try billwills stuff when my boyfriend said to try cam shaft to, after i put it in, it turns over and over none stop but no start?

doing a compression check tomorrow! well at least i hope so praying it dont rain again!!

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you by any chance have the SKIS light lit up on the cluster? This is the amber key symbol with a line through it.

It would seem your problems are around the crank or cam sensor area....you may need to download the 2006 Service Manuals....you can chase up the code there and follow up the things the manual tells you to do and there are circuit diagrams which will help you follow the wiring of the sensors to look for breaks or shorts.

Download the 2006 KJ S_M here:

Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, no light like that..my uncle works at Ford and says it might be the pcm I don't know I'm hoping not I've read you can install one and it gives you way more problems. But thanks billwill for the manuals after compression test today we are starting on that!

Only light I see come on to deal with a security feature is when I first turn to on is a little red dot light, you can see it in the videos

Last edited:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Screw those o-scopes. I hate them lol

I was born with a Techtronics Oscilloscope in one hand and and a Fluke Multimeter in the other....darn painful for my mother....in the 70s I worked for IBM and that is what you needed to go about your daily bussiness...... giving my age away here now:icon_confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online