Help I don't know what's wrong!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was driving in the rain tonight and some guy almost came in to my lane and hit me, I honked and put on my breaks they skipped a little but then I pushed on the gas and it was still fine then all the sudden I heard this loud thudding sound and I wasn't going any where real fast I thought my car had died but it didn't and the RPMs wasn't going past 2k and my check engine light came on and so did my traction control, so I kept going and got off on a exit when I came to turn it acted like it was gonna died till I laid in to the gas pedal and then it went. I parked and turned it off now it has a dead battery which the battery has died a couple times before all this crap so IM freaking out please help!!!!

Last edited:

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need codes.

I left it sitting for the night as i dont have a code reader,

UPDATE: I tried jump starting it with a tahoe and a ford 500 thinking the chevy wasnt giving it enough juice. but neither worked...every time i tried to start it it was ticking meaning the battery was dead we let it sit with the battery cables hooked up for about 15 mins then we tried to start it again, it didnt turn over but it stopped ticking like it had a little bit of juice to start it and it sounded like a aaannnn then we took the key out put it back in and tryed to start it again and it was dead and clicking again. we did this same process 2 times.

I thought about the alternator but my boyfriend said he dont think its that because the head lights would of been the first to go but im still not ruling it out!

my moms boyfriend said he thinks my starter could have gotten wet when the guy came around me and sparyed water under the car but i thought the starter is ONLY to start the car and if it got wet then it just wouldnt of started the next time till it dried out but it wouldnt of made my car act that way on the highway right???

Last edited:

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your battery has died more than once, you probably do have a bad alternator. The "loud thudding sound", where did it sound like it came from? front, rear, underneath, the motor, etc... Did you hear it only once, or was it a repetitive sound? If you don't have a code reader, you can use the key trick. Get in the Jeep, close the door, put the key in the ignition. Turn it to the on position, then off, on, off, on. The third time you turn it to the on position leave it there, and any codes will be displayed where the odometer is.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt the "key" trick to get codes will work on a 2006 KJ.

First thing is to get a new battery and at the same time check that the battery connections are clean and tight.

If the Jeep now starts then there should be red alternator lights or other lights if there is still a problem. The traction control light may have come on due to the wet roads or a dirty wheel sensor.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh my mistake then. I've heard it doesn't work on the newer models. Guess I just assumed that meant the KK.

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thudding sound came from the engine I think and yes it got louder when I pressed on the gas and was repeating sound...IM here trying to jump start it but acts like it wants to start then it starts clicking.....we even put a jump pack on it and it drained it so going to get a battery!

Last edited:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
See how it does after a new battery - it may just be as simple as that.

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay put a new battery didn't start it didn't click like the battery was dead just all the normal lights came on...so I have a battery just now its something else not letting it turn over....but the traction control light comes on too?? im pretty sure before all this happen my traction control light never came on when i started it before

SOMETHING I FORGOT TO PUT IN MY FIRST POST IS THAT WHEN I HEARD THE SOUND FROM THE ENGINE I LOOKED AT MY DASH CONTROLS MY ENGINE LIGHT WAS FLASHING AND MY TRACTION CONTROL LIGHT WAS ON

Last edited:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay put a new battery didn't start it didn't click like the battery was dead just all the normal lights came on...so I have a battery just now its something else not letting it turn over....but the traction control light comes on too?? im pretty sure before all this happen my traction control light never came on when i started it before

SOMETHING I FORGOT TO PUT IN MY FIRST POST IS THAT WHEN I HEARD THE SOUND FROM THE ENGINE I LOOKED AT MY DASH CONTROLS MY ENGINE LIGHT WAS FLASHING AND MY TRACTION CONTROL LIGHT WAS ON

Don't worry about the traction control light at this stage...first try to get the engine started. A very common problem of normal lights coming on but no engine turning over is a broken actuator pin that operates the ignition switch when you turn the key....have a look at the "Sticky" here on this site "how to start your Jeep with broken ignition"

In the meantime you can remove the Starter Relay....it sits in the fuse box under the hood. With the relay removed, make a note of how the pins are connected....you need to look for pins 30 and 87. Make sure the Jeep is in Park, switch on the ignition and jumper pins 30 and 87 in the Starter Relay socket with a piece of wire....the engine should turn over.

Report back here once you have read the Sticky and tried the recommended actions.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might want to pull the plugs disconnect the battery and see if you can turn the crank by hand and that the engine is not locked up.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flashing CEL is pretty important to forget. That's the indication to shut the Jeep down else you will do damage.

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't worry about the traction control light at this stage...first try to get the engine started. A very common problem of normal lights coming on but no engine turning over is a broken actuator pin that operates the ignition switch when you turn the key....have a look at the "Sticky" here on this site "how to start your Jeep with broken ignition"

In the meantime you can remove the Starter Relay....it sits in the fuse box under the hood. With the relay removed, make a note of how the pins are connected....you need to look for pins 30 and 87. Make sure the Jeep is in Park, switch on the ignition and jumper pins 30 and 87 in the Starter Relay socket with a piece of wire....the engine should turn over.

Report back here once you have read the Sticky and tried the recommended actions.

Tried the starter relay it kills all power and is just clicking?? Searched the sticky and can't find it? We are trying to turn the crank now

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My moms boyfriend got under it and he said the starter looks like its working and the alternator is moving just a little when we try to start it...also tried the crank it moves so he said its good

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.