Purge Solenoid replacement cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dealers said it has gone bad, wants $300 for replacing it.
I assume it is no biggie since I have been driving around with the CEL for about 8 months now, and this is the reason. He said "you might have poor mileage" if that's all it does, I am fine with it. I have not seen sudden decrease in mpg. Steady 15 jumps to 16.3 time to time.

So, is it necessary to replace it? If so how much would it cost if I buy it and have a mechanic replace it, or is it something I can replace? Guessing from the dealers quote, it should cost about $40-$50 for the part and they would charge $100 for it, and maybe $200 for 2 hrs labor.

What is your input on this?

Thanks.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TAKEN FROM THE FSM

REMOVAL
The duty cycle EVAP canister purge solenoid (DCP)
is located in the engine compartment (Fig. 2). It is
attached to a bracket located between the battery
and the Power Distribution Center (PDC). The EVAP
system test port is located near the solenoid (Fig. 2).
(1) Disconnect electrical wiring connector at solenoid.
(2) Disconnect vacuum harness at solenoid.
(3) Remove solenoid and its support bracket (pull
straight up).

INSTALLATION
(1) Slip EVAP canister purge solenoid onto its
mounting bracket.
(2) Connect vacuum harness to solenoid.
(3) Connect electrical connector to solenoid.

You must be registered for see images attach

Part Number for 2002 and 2003: 52128550AA *2004 and later is different

CLICK HERE FOR PART

Looks like a 5 minute job. You're getting ***** by your dealer!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good info.

Hyed, ...go to the dealer parts counter and give them the part # and see how much it is. You might not be able to get that at NAPA or Autozone. I'll bet you are right on the cost of it. You will save a ton of money.

When you install it just take your time and pay attention to how the old one comes off and install the new one the same way. It looks pretty straight forward.

Dave

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that what that thing is? I had to move it the other day to finish running some wiring.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, sounds like very easy job. Thank you very much for that. Last time I looked at my engine bay and could not locate it anywhere, it was pretty strange. I will check again tomorrow, I guess i was looking at a different side.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, sounds like very easy job. Thank you very much for that. Last time I looked at my engine bay and could not locate it anywhere, it was pretty strange. I will check again tomorrow, I guess i was looking at a different side.

It near the battery/fuse box area. Glad I could help. :)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, its right beside the battery. I fight mine everything I take the battery out to get to the suspension.

Cant believe they were wanting $300 just to take a $20 part out. Its not like they actually need to do anything to change it out.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
There you go.. It looks a bit different, there is no test port or anything.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is flimsy. Feels like it will fall apart and it moves about.. Weird little thing, no wonder it went bad. Anyway, I fiddled with the pipes and connections, let's see.
Does anyone know where those wires/pipes/whatever they are going to? I mean what is the worst case, if I cannot put it back together?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
P0441

The CEL (Check Engine Light) turned off last week... If it comes back on, I will replace it.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are vacuum hoses. If they are not put back your engine will be sucking in dirty air and could idle higher than it should depending on where they go.

There is a a test port there somewhere with a green cap on it.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hyed.....if you replace that thing, put the new one next to the old one. Then take one line off the old one at a time and put it on the new one in the same connector spot. That way you can't get it hooked up wrong.

Just a thought.

Dave

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, what do you know. CEL is back.. And I have no time to work on the jeep this week, I will first fiddle with hoses. Too busy to do anything, really..

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, what do you know. CEL is back.. And I have no time to work on the jeep this week, I will first fiddle with hoses. Too busy to do anything, really..

Sorry for digging up posts from the grave. But there is no update on this. Reason asking is i have the same code now and really don't want to take to a shop unless i really have to. Emissions test coming up and need this fixed ASAP.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the lines on the EVAP solenoid, make sure none are cracked or loose, otherwise just replace it. Its a $30-$40 part and a ten minute job at the most to replace.