Hella 500 Covers Melting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottZ0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may have been addressed, but I can't seem to find it via a search. If the standard covers are on while the lights are on, will they melt. Take into consideration that the bulbs are the ones that came with the lights and have not been upgraded.

Thanks,
Scott

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I admit, I think it looks kinda neat,
I wouldn't do it with my lights mind you!
I'd be more concerned with the heat build up while you are slowed right down or stopped in traffic. I wouldn't want to take the chance of one of the lamp units or lens from cracking.
I do see people around here with their Hella 500's with covers on and lamps lit up.

Last edited:

TigerClaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are these lights halogen ? if yes, then i wouldnt risk it. Of course, if you have extra money all the time and looking cool is over your wallet, well go ahead and just do it...
I also think it looks sweet but i donthave that extra money :)

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Are these lights halogen ? if yes, then i wouldnt risk it. Of course, if you have extra money all the time and looking cool is over your wallet, well go ahead and just do it...
I also think it looks sweet but i donthave that extra money :)

Yeah, they are 55 watt Halogen. You can also run 100 watt bulbs in those if you want.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I admit, I think it looks kinda neat,
I wouldn't do it with my lights mind you!
I'd be more concerned with the heat build up while you are slowed right down or stopped in traffic. I wouldn't want to take the chance of one of the lamp units or lens from cracking.
I do see people around here with their Hella 500's with covers on and lamps lit up.

I agree with you man on everything. I got 500FF covers that are all white with the black Hella logo and it looks neat But T'm concerned about the heat build op too. That's why i purchased the Grille covers to give the lights some more style.

On another note. I've been noticing a lot of Hella threads lately. Maybe it's time to have a Hella Lights sub forum on the site :p

Last edited:

Searcher67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the way it looks as well. I had mine on for about 15 min while driving on the road..It was chilly out (in the 50's) and I was driving the speed limit.I had no issues and felt no hot heat on the covers, they were warm but still not pliable. the 55watt bulbs have a life span and I really am not going to want to waste my bulb life on Hella signs! Yes it looks good but is it worth the price of the bulbs/lens or covers?:cool:

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may have been addressed, but I can't seem to find it via a search. If the standard covers are on while the lights are on, will they melt. Take into consideration that the bulbs are the ones that came with the lights and have not been upgraded.

Thanks,
Scott

Um, that's not a defect, that's a feature. You never...ever run high intensity lights with covers on them. Because the covers melt.

ScottZ0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lets face it. We all drive this type of vehicle for the "cool factor". Regardless of the consequences, we all do stupid things to look cool. That being said, I drove home from work last night with the covers on. It was 45 degrees and no traffic doing about 45 for 15 minutes (yes a short commute). The covers were warm, but there was no obvious effect. I must admit it will probably be the last time I do that, but I do like the way it looks.

Scott

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
We all drive this type of vehicle for the "cool factor" :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
I don't need a vehicle to be cool, I need a vehicle with 4 wheel drive to get around not to be cool,
also running with the covers on will just cause problems , bulbs will burn out quicker even since the covers are holding the heat in

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
The only time I use lamp covers is during the daylight hours.
Once Dusk starts happening I remove one pair of lamp covers.
An hour or so later I stop and pull the other two lamp covers off.
This way, with my now in excess of 900 Watts of light! (H4 conversion in my Bosch 225 Ralley lamps. I went from 130 Watt to 290 Watt bulbs in the cars head lamps and four Bosch lamps. 1740 Watts of light!
I'd post pictures, but I don't own a digital camera. I'd rather spend the money on my car!

ScottZ0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tommud,

I am very confused by your comments. Your in your sig shows ...
04 Black Liberty 4x4
DEBADGED, Kilimanjaro Edition
3.7, GTP Hood Louvers
Mopar and Kilby skids
ARB front bumper,Rock Lizard Gecko Roof Rack
Interior Rack,CO2 system, Als 4.5 UCAs, OME HD springs,Clevis, RRO Top plate, Rancho shocks, Moog LBJs, 4.10s soon, MOABs/ 265-70 BFGs

Now my guess is some of those items are more for the cool factor than foe just going 4 x 4 ing.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tommud,

04 Black Liberty 4x4
3.7, GTP Hood Louvers
Mopar and Kilby skids
Interior Rack,CO2 system, Als 4.5 UCAs, OME HD springs,Clevis, RRO Top plate, Rancho shocks, Moog LBJs, 4.10s soon, MOABs/ 265-70 BFGs

Now my guess is some of those items are more for the cool factor than foe just going 4 x 4 ing.
What would you consider "cool factor" items in that list? All I see is a list of offroad performance adding items for going offroad.Don't say the hood vents are,they actually help alot when crawling at slow speeds,dissipates the engine heat better for cooler running temps,looking cool is just a side effect.

Got one question.....................

Why on earth would you drive around with AUX lights on with cover installed? That is just about the most ******** thing I have ever heard off.

ScottZ0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe you did not understand the original post. I stated I was wondering if the covers would melt. Others stated it looked cool, but not worth the after effects. I agree. Though I see plenty of people running them this way. Why, I can't tell you. The only thing I can think of is the "cool factor". I could be wrong, but this is all I can come up with. As far as the list, I think de-badging is kind of done to make the ride look better. I can't imagine why it would have any bearing on 4 x 4 ing. BTW, I have a strong feeling the hood vents are not there for that reason on his ride, but again, I could be wrong.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe you did not understand the original post. I stated I was wondering if the covers would melt. Others stated it looked cool, but not worth the after effects. I agree. Though I see plenty of people running them this way. Why, I can't tell you. The only thing I can think of is the "cool factor". I could be wrong, but this is all I can come up with. As far as the list, I think de-badging is kind of done to make the ride look better. I can't imagine why it would have any bearing on 4 x 4 ing. BTW, I have a strong feeling the hood vents are not there for that reason on his ride, but again, I could be wrong.
Mines debadged,mostly,only due to I repainted my KJ orange and was not paying $150 for new emblems,sure looks cool but needed a paint job anyways since it did have $5500 in hail damage.The hood vents also help out on the street also,I have hood vents also and they do make a differance at any speed but help the most at 2mph.

As far as the light covers on while the lights are on can melt the covers and can start fires.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Tommud,

04 Black Liberty 4x4
3.7, GTP Hood Louvers
Mopar and Kilby skids

I'd have to say that those after market parts are all for function.
And cool factor is a bonus additional side effect!
But I kinda understand where you're coming from. I see lots of the same additions on other 4X4's but most are all mall crawlers anyway!
Just my ¢0.02 cents Worth

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
All good points. BTW you have a sweet ride.
So tjkj has a cool ride but I have things on mine for the cool factor ,:D:D:D I don't give a rats behind if anyone likes mine or not, I like things that work well, like Rock Lizards Gecko rack, not cheap but it works great and is strong enough for what ever I want to throw up there, plus for what you get it is worth the money! ;)
Debadging ....makes it easier to clean and wax after a good trail ride, plus the stock badging is junk plastic and serves no purpose to me, I know its a Jeep
Hood louvers the same they help cool the engine, if I wanted cool bling factor I would of bought some outlandish chrome ones :eek:

Oh well I build every rig I have ever owned to serve me well no matter where I want to go!

Thank for several enlightening posts