Heater core replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scotthw

Reaction score
Hi guys i have to replace the heater core on my 04 liberty as the previous owner put stop leak threw to fix the rad and plugged the heater core i was reading its quite the job but i also read you can get away without removing the steering column is this true also any advice for doing this would be great as well
Thanks

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your core leaking or just plugged up?

might get by with a flush.

there is a YT floating around of doing a flush with clr.

it is a doable job to r/r the core. Dont have to drop / remove the column. I didn’t.
Not a fast job, but Doable.

Reason i asked if leak9ng -

if you have to go that far for the heater core, it might make sense to change out the ac core at the same time.

Scotthw

Reaction score
Its just plugged i got barely any heat i took it in and got it flushed but that didn't do anything i was told on here that they have a built in by pass and thats probably why it wont take a a flush

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a big job. Not that hard though, just a lot of bolts and screws to remove. I lowered the column on mine just for ease of working on it but didn’t remove it. Was no big deal. It’s more of a time consuming task. Make sure your blend doors are working properly while you’re doing it. Or before as that causes low heat issues as well.

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the coolant will be drained, you could do the water pump and thermostat since they’ll probably be damage and gunked up too. Might as well do it all now and put the proper coolant in.

Scotthw

Reaction score
It is a big job. Not that hard though, just a lot of bolts and screws to remove. I lowered the column on mine just for ease of working on it but didn’t remove it. Was no big deal. It’s more of a time consuming task. Make sure your blend doors are working properly while you’re doing it. Or before as that causes low heat issues as well.
Ok thanks

Scotthw

Reaction score
Since the coolant will be drained, you could do the water pump and thermostat since they’ll probably be damage and gunked up too. Might as well do it all now and put the proper coolant in.
Has new water pump and thermostat and rad as when i bought it it had overheating issues found out the rad was plugged took it to get flushed thats when they told me it had a hole in it and was plugged right up with stop leak so thats why im assuming the heater core is plugged like the rad was

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I would replace it all
water pump, thermostat, remove upper and lower hoses and check them etc
Stop leak is plain miserable to get it all out , anyone using it should have a swift kick to their .......................

opelboy

Reaction score
Hi guys i have to replace the heater core on my 04 liberty as the previous owner put stop leak threw to fix the rad and plugged the heater core i was reading its quite the job but i also read you can get away without removing the steering column is this true also any advice for doing this would be great as well
Thanks
My 06 heater core was leaking and the mechanics near me refused to take on the job. I watched a YouTube video, took lots of pictures as I took it apart, and bagged n tagged the bolts where they go. It took a whole day, but I got it. I replaced the core, and ac evaporator because it’s cheap and I don’t want to take it apart again. I also cleaned the big plastic vent assembly because it was really dusty. It improved the smell when you’re all done you’ll have to get your ac recharged, cost me $75.

DHBirren2

Reaction score
Pro Mechanic Tip
If you ever have a pinhole leak in your radiator, pour in two tablespoons of ground black pepper. It really works.

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've made agitator bags several times, they come in handy from time to time- whether they effectively work or not largely depends on the type of buildup that's in the system. In a nutshell, you can plumb two boxed wine bags, or collapsible water bladders up to the heater core, get as much air out of the setup as possible where a majority of your flush fluid is in one bag, and the second bag contains as little as possible of anything, including air. Typical flushing only goes one direction, and when you reverse it, goes the other, with the bag setup, that change of direction is pretty effective at dislodging sediments and pulling them out of the system - similar to using a plunger. Overall, you're better off in the long term to do a replacement, but sometimes a second alternative can come in handy

Latest posts

Members online