Heater connector on fuel filter assembly spewing fuel!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T^2

Reaction score
Originally posted on LOST KJS forum. Reposted here as a FYI:

I took the CRD to a local mechanic to do it's 30k mile service. The mechanic discovered that the heater connector was spewing fuel and that the tip of the connector had been burnt. He stopped work and gave me a call because it's a warranty issue. He said he tried to prime the system and that's when he discovered that is was spewing fuel. I guess he was checking it's integrity. He buttoned the thing back up and gave me the new fuel filter that he was going the replace to old one with.

So, I called the dealer. The dealer tells me that they will not fix the problem under warranty because I didn't have them do the work. Their claim is that my mechanic caused the problem and therefore it's not covered. Of course they said I could call DCX customer service, but they will tell me the same thing. However, I know that this is a known issue. Many folks here have reported the same thing. It may help me fight DCX if I had a list of folks that have experienced the same problem. I suspect that I'm going to have a fight on my hands and it might be helpful if I could provide a list of folks that are experiencing the same issue. This might be able to serve as proof that my mechanic did not cause this problem and that there is a problem with this part.

If memory serves, I recall some have reported this issue to the NHTSA. If so where do I find the complaints that have been register on this issue? This information might also help in proving it's a known issue and wasn't something caused by my mechanic.

Boy has this been a night to remember....

I hadn't got more than a block away from my mechanic's shop and the CRD stopped running right there in the middle of the road (heavy traffic too - joy!). Unfortunately, I had to coordinate a ride from a friend and the shop had long since closed by the time I got there to pick up the CRD. Anyway, I was stopped waiting for the light to change - so I didn't have any momentum to pull if off the road. Nobody would help to give me a push. I had to call the police to give me an assist. Then it took the tow truck and hour and 45 minutes to get to me. The tow truck guy hopped into vehicle and turned the key to put in neutral. He left the key on and within a minute smoke was rolling out from under the hood. I thought the thing was going to catch on fire. I jump in the vehicle, turned off the key, popped the hood, and pull the heater plug off (which was where all the smoke was coming from).

Boy I’m PO'ed… especially with my dealer’s response....

When it came time to buy, I was deciding between a F-150 and the CRD. Today I wish I went with the F-150.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
It sounds like you told the dealer that you had a mechanic.

Why oh why did you tell the dealer that you had a mechanic?

If this is not true, disregard my entire post.

T^2

Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
It sounds like you told the dealer that you had a mechanic.

Why oh why did you tell the dealer that you had a mechanic?

If this is not true, disregard my entire post.

True, it would have helped the situation if I hadn't mentioned that fact. However, DCX can't refuse warranty coverage because a non-dealer performed the service work.

Relevant sections of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act:

Section 2302. Rules governing contents of warranties

(c) Prohibition on conditions for written or implied warranty; waiver by Commission No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if -

(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and

(2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest. The Commission shall identify in the Federal Register, and permit public comment on, all applications for waiver of the prohibition of this subsection, and shall publish in the Federal Register its disposition of any such application, including the reasons therefor.

Section 2304. Federal minimum standards for warranties

(c) Waiver of standards
The performance of the duties under subsection (a) of this section shall not be required of the warrantor if he can show that the defect, malfunction, or failure of any warranted consumer product to conform with a written warranty, was caused by damage (not resulting from defect or malfunction) while in the possession of the consumer, or unreasonable use (including failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance).

It appears that in order for DCX to legally deny coverage, they have to show, or prove, that the mechanic caused damage (not resulting from defect or malfunction) to the part. I think they would have a hard time proving such a case, especially since the connector is burnt. The burnt connector proves that this didn't just occur while the mechanic was performing routine maintanence.