heated mirrors question???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AtoB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have power mirrors, and am thinking about upgrading to heated.
i am guessing it is 'plug and play... anyone know for certain?

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it has been discussed before and if I remember correctly some people had the wiring there for the heated lights with regular power mirrors and others didn't.
Here's a link to a thread with a picture link

AtoB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from all i have read... it looks like it should be plug-n-play.
should know soon enough... just ordered them on ebay.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have the wiring to the doors from the defrost switch?? I was thinking of adding heated mirrors but the wiring isn't there, i could add it, but with the amount of work involved i dont think its worth it yet.

AtoB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have the wiring to the doors from the defrost switch?? I was thinking of adding heated mirrors but the wiring isn't there, i could add it, but with the amount of work involved i dont think its worth it yet.

dunno... i was reading that there was alot of 'pre-wiring' and that i likely am all set... but we shall see.

AtoB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
atob what year do you have?

2004 columbia edition with power mirrors.
i noticed that the mirrors were fogging up in the bad weather this week and was wishing they had defrosters... hopefully this will solve the issue

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2004 columbia edition with power mirrors.
i noticed that the mirrors were fogging up in the bad weather this week and was wishing they had defrosters... hopefully this will solve the issue

Before buying anything i would pull a door panel apart and check the harness, it will be really obvious at the mirror plug, if you see two wires to the plug on the vehicle side of the harness that don't have mates on the plug from the mirror then your wired for it.... If not then you don't. And considering all the owners that said they didnt i wouldnt want to bet on it.

AtoB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before buying anything i would pull a door panel apart and check the harness, it will be really obvious at the mirror plug, if you see two wires to the plug on the vehicle side of the harness that don't have mates on the plug from the mirror then your wired for it.... If not then you don't. And considering all the owners that said they didnt i wouldnt want to bet on it.

too late, i ordered a passenger side mirror.. i'm an impatient MF'er. it's only a $38 gamble... and most of what i was able to read through searches leads me to believe my chances are pretty good that it will work... i'll post me result either way.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okey Dokey.. Let us know what you find out!

I saw a KJ on a yard list for a nearby salvage yard a while back, it was a 04' limited and had heated mirrors, inquired and they told me $60 for the set if i removed them myself as the KJ was buried out in the yard. I was tempted but checked my 03' sport and the wiring isn't there.

AtoB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okey Dokey.. Let us know what you find out!

I saw a KJ on a yard list for a nearby salvage yard a while back, it was a 04' limited and had heated mirrors, inquired and they told me $60 for the set if i removed them myself as the KJ was buried out in the yard. I was tempted but checked my 03' sport and the wiring isn't there.

my fingers are crossed.:rolleyes:

AtoB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gotcha....same here. i think the ones in my bmw go on when it is cold... it's great, you don't even have to think about it.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the wiring is not there, I'd just do a simply supply wire with in-line fuse and switch from an ignition side power supply to the mirror plug.

AtoB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the wiring is not there, I'd just do a simply supply wire with in-line fuse and switch from an ignition side power supply to the mirror plug.

yeah...eek2.gif... electrical ain't my bag unfortunately. if it doesn't work, it goes back on ebay

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TBJ has a good point.... It wouldn't be that hard to get an inline thermostat that closes at that temp, i have used a few for fan controls and such that close at a certain temp range. Anything below freezing and the thermostat turns them on when the ignition is on. You could put the thermostat inline in each door and the sense side of the thermostat against the cold outer skin of the door would do the job with a bit of thermal epoxy... Then i wouldnt need wires to the defrost switch in the dash just a fused power to each door...

Anyway just thinking out loud here.....