Heat Setting Question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a problem with my AC compressor since early summer but opted to just not turn on my ac or heat until winter :signs75:
It's mostly just the clutch hanging up I believe, drags down the engine and makes a rotational noise lIke it's slightly catching on one side..
So I just decided to make sure the clutch never engages lol..
But. It snowed this morning and it's that time lol.
So my only questions are is there a heat setting that won't cause the ac compressor to run? Do none of them? All of them?
Any parts experiences or suggestions are always appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score

Attachments

• Jeep%20Climate%20Control.jpg
    Jeep%20Climate%20Control.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would it be better to just replace the clutch on it instead of just getting the compressor replaced.. I've thought about just doing that so I didn't have to have a shop do it so they could recover and recharge the refrigerant.
Don't know why I never thought about just disconnecting the connector to it.. duh lol. Thank you.
Only recently became noticeable enough that you can tell the moment that you turn on the heat that something isn't right. Idle changes and gets more rough. Enough that I immediately turn it back off and decide not to touch it lol.
So if I disconnect the ac compressors connector will it be fine to run heat on like face/feet?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think so.
And I'd just replace the clutch if that's all that's bad. Won't have to dick around with the refrigerant then.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a way for me to tell if it's just the clutch and not the compressor itself?
The difference in how loud the engine is, and just how loud, what I'd imagine is the compressor, is when you turn on a setting that uses it..
If I try to use it while driving there is what feels like the engine dragging down and a noticeable enough drop in power to make me believe it is...
Noticeable enough sound from inside the car when parked and you turn on a setting that uses it, such as defrost. Even from inside the car even that I could probably put up a video to see what you guys think? If I can figure out how to properly upload it and post a link..
From under the hood though, you can hear like a rotational noise coming directly from the compressor, though I haven't listened to it under the hood with the compressor running.. but will if I decide to post a video..
Can upload one tomorrow if anyone is interested in helping?
Also.. if I do just buy a clutch and decide to go that route.. which I think I may..
Would I be okay just finding a cheap compressor clutch kit on ebay or amazon? Or should I go oem? Didn't see many parts listed on AutoZone either..
Should I be getting clutch, bearing, and coil??

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
To post a vid, just upload it to youtube and post the link.

As for isolating the noise, would taking the serpentine belt off do anything? Spin it by hand and see? Does the clutch engage loudly? I would think if it engaged loudly but then settled down it would be the clutch, if it was just constant it would be the compressor I think.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't get a video taken because of Thanksgiving, but will likely do it tomorrow when I have some free time..
Seems to be all the time when I have the compressor on, but will let you know after I try to rotate it and look for slack or catching when I take the belt off tomorrow.
Thank you for the help!

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You get what you pay for,be aware of this.

2nd being you have a '03 the only settings that the AC should be activated is the 3 AC settings and any setting with Defrost.

You can unplug either the high pressure or low pressure switch and the compressor will not come on no matter what.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I get one of these compressors and it goes, is it likely to lock up the engine? Or will the compressor just stop working?
I know you can't guess the future, just asking do you think it's likely that if I get a cheaper brand one such as UAC that it will lock up my engine down the road?
Also, you're correct about the heat settings.. basically using heat on my feet and face, just no defrost. Thank you for the input..
I've been planning on disconnecting the high pressure switch to keep it from kicking on, but think I'm gunna just continue to use the settings that don't turn it on.. that way in the event I end up actually needing defrost for a moment while I'm driving I don't have to pull over and reconnect the switch to turn it on

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
My compressor went out about a year ago. I had a warranty from the dealer and they put a no-name in there. It works, but I do not think it does as good a job as the old OEM one. Even that would have been a $1,000 repair. (I paid zilch.)

On a side note, they also replaced another part (Low Pressure Switch, as I recall) after getting the compressor in. It made me wonder if that was all that was really wrong with it to begin with. I'd be very sure I knew exactly what the problem was before I started yanking parts out.

Members online

No members online now.