2012 Liberty No Heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjvervaet

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm helping my friend out and he has a 2012 Jeep Liberty Sport. So the vehicle is not blowing any heat out of the vents. Here's a little background on what we've done so far.

- We confirmed that the heater core is healthy and coolant is flowing properly. We had it flushed and checked out last winter.
- We found that the directional HVAC door is broken. The gear that mates with the actuator is broken, and you cannot change the direction of the air flow (Defrost, Floor, Dashboard). However we can move the axel by hand. You need an entire new Distribution Housing to replace the bad gear on the directional door. This was an issue we found last winter and it did not cause the heat to stop blowing.
- This year we cannot get the heat to engage. I confirmed that the actuator is moving the blend door in the distribution housing. You can hear the door trying to redirect the air flow.

Both the directional door and blend door actuators are on the drivers side, however on the passenger side when I remove the glove box, I do see another actuator that is attached to the blower fan motor housing. I cannot confirm if this actuator is working properly, or what it actual does.

The engine runs at the proper operating temperature and we re-confirmed that the heater core is healthy. No coolant leaks.

Before we tear the entire dashboard out to replace the distribution housing, I'm wondering if there is anything else I could check or replace. That entire assembly located behind the glove box is a mystery and I'm not sure if the root cause is located in the distribution housing, or the blower fan housing behind the glove box.

Any tips would be very appreciated.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The actuator behind the glove box changes the source of incoming air from outside to recirculate inside air. It shouldn’t change anything about heat or whether air comes out the vents.

I’ve replaced the distribution box before and it is doable. If you end up going that route and need any tips, please let me know.

Austin288

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm helping my friend out and he has a 2012 Jeep Liberty Sport. So the vehicle is not blowing any heat out of the vents. Here's a little background on what we've done so far.

- We confirmed that the heater core is healthy and coolant is flowing properly. We had it flushed and checked out last winter.
- We found that the directional HVAC door is broken. The gear that mates with the actuator is broken, and you cannot change the direction of the air flow (Defrost, Floor, Dashboard). However we can move the axel by hand. You need an entire new Distribution Housing to replace the bad gear on the directional door. This was an issue we found last winter and it did not cause the heat to stop blowing.
- This year we cannot get the heat to engage. I confirmed that the actuator is moving the blend door in the distribution housing. You can hear the door trying to redirect the air flow.

Both the directional door and blend door actuators are on the drivers side, however on the passenger side when I remove the glove box, I do see another actuator that is attached to the blower fan motor housing. I cannot confirm if this actuator is working properly, or what it actual does.

The engine runs at the proper operating temperature and we re-confirmed that the heater core is healthy. No coolant leaks.

Before we tear the entire dashboard out to replace the distribution housing, I'm wondering if there is anything else I could check or replace. That entire assembly located behind the glove box is a mystery and I'm not sure if the root cause is located in the distribution housing, or the blower fan housing behind the glove box.

Any tips would be very appreciated.
Check or replace your cabin air filters, very inexpensive and easy with google video. On my 2012 they were almost completely plugged resulting in very poor heat.

Members online

No members online now.