Hazard turns on by itself

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eben

Reaction score
2006 Liberty.

When I switch car off or unlocking it, the hazards turn on by itself. Have to turn ignition on and off a couple of times before hazard switches off.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2006 Liberty.

When I switch car off or unlocking it, the hazards turn on by itself. Have to turn ignition on and off a couple of times before hazard switches off.

Welcome to the Site Eben!

What part of SA are you in and what model KJ do you have....I have an old 2002 2.5L CRD.

When you are sitting in the vehicle and you press the Hazard button IN do the indicator lights flash as they are supposed to and then stop flashing when you press the switch again?

The hazard Switch contains a lot of circuitry inside it and this switch may need replacing.

However the Body Control Module (BCM), which sits on the rear side of the fuse panel inside the cabin, has some control over the Flasher unit ie. the BCM can be programmed to flash the indicator lights briefly as you unlock/lock the Jeep with the remote key fob.
So there could be an issue with either the Flasher Unit or the BCM.

Download the 2006 KJ Service Manual here....gives some theory of operations and has a Wiring Diagram Section 8. Use the index to find the page for Flasher Unit and try your luck at tracing down the wiring with a cheap Digital Multi meter to try see what signal is causing the hazards to flash at the wrong time.

Manual Download: Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

The page to start on is 8W-52-2

I will have a look at the wiring diagram myself and can advise you with the help of relevant pages of the circuitry posted up here on your post. First thing is to check on the fuse panel inside the cabin that fuses 11 and 39 are in tight...move them in and out a few times.

Try and get a Hazard unit from a Scrapyard....any model close in year to your KJ should work. The manuals download link above also has the Parts Fiches for most year models so check the PNs for the various models.

The BCM is more involved as after replacing it the BCM needs some re-programming by the Dealers.

Last edited:

Elliott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it does happen to be the Hazard Switch, I have one from my 2005 that was modified to not hyperflash with LEDs. It will still work perfectly fine with regular incandescent bulbs too. PM me if you need it.

Latest posts

Members online