Has anyone tried this....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man is that something or what...It looks like it would rip your hand off if you got too close. Wait, in fact it looks like someone had left over air ducts sitting around and used a childs stencil kit to cut out those cool "tornado" like edges.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Proven by the EPA, a consumer reports test, and a test done on 20/20 to provide not improvement at all. I'd save my money.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
If those types of wanna-be mileage and power improvers actually worked, the automakers would be scrambling to include them on every vehicle they sold.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's junk, I read in a Popular Mechanics test that the vanes actually broke off in testing.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MPG

I've been waiting to come across a thread like this while I've been drinking. It's time for my A*hole MPG speech, but first...a word from our sponsors...

This post is brought to you by Scotch Ale, made by your friends and mine at Depot Street Brewing. So dark, not even light can escape (not their official motto, but that's how I've been pitching it).

DISCLAIMER: I have a tendency to be brutally honest (especially when I've been drinking). Some people may take it the wrong way, but remember, it's nothing personal, I'm just an ass (especially when I've been drinking).

Most manufacturers have already done everything they can to improve your MPG. These days, it's a great selling point. Translation: you will sell more vehicles if they have better fuel economy. They only limiting factor are those bastards at the EPA and their emission standards.

There are 6 things you can do to improve you fuel economy:

#1 Change your driving habits. Slowly accelerate from stops, don't accelerate uphill, coast downhill as much as possible, draft, and don’t go above 60 mph.

#2 Increase your airflow by adding an aftermarket intake and exhaust (with mandrel bends). (There isn't much cost benefit here, MPG increase is minimal and parts aren't cheap). This will give you a slightly leaner air/fuel ratio (ideal is 17:1). This ensures there is enough oxygen present to achieve as close to 100% combustion as possible. There will be an increase in H20, CO2 emissions along with NOx (NO, NO2 and N2O), and a decrease in non-combusted hydrocarbon emissions. Any change will be minimal and SHOULDN"T (but might) affect emission tests. An increase in air also increases the number of particles you let into the engine, decreasing engine life. Again the effects are minimal.

#3 Add an underdrive pulley. Basically, this robs power from other components on the drive belt and delivers it to the engine. Those components include: your A/C (so it won't cool as well), power steering, and your alternator (so your battery won't recharge as quickly). Not very cost effective and you gains will be minimal. The pros might not outweigh the cons if you like your A/C or you pull a lot of current.

#4 Improve your aerodynamics. Lower the front end and spray your entire vehicle with Teflon. You chose the wrong vehicle for aerodynamics, and it's not a very cost effective solution.

#5 Lose some weight. Don't carry around unnecessary weight. You lose 1% economy for every 100 pounds. Go on a diet, take a dump, whatever it takes to drop a few pounds (pun intended). For more extreme results Lose the A/C compressor, radio, roof rack, spare tire and jack, all the seats (except the driver's seat), and all of your interior molding and upholstery. You could probably eliminate 250 pounds and gain .5 mpg efficiency. But think of all the money you'd make selling parts of eBay!

6 Move to sea level, or below (stay above the water please). You lose 3%-4% economy for every 1000 feet you are above sea level (unless you have a supercharger or turbocharger to cram more air in).

I'd like to thank my friends Copy & Paste, Microsoft Word, SpellChecker and alcohol, the cause of...and solution to, all of life's problems.

firefighter5212

Reaction score
Re: MPG

VTNomad said:
I've been waiting to come across a thread like this while I've been drinking. It's time for my A*hole MPG speech, but first...a word from our sponsors...

This post is brought to you by Scotch Ale, made by your friends and mine at Depot Street Brewing. So dark, not even light can escape (not their official motto, but that's how I've been pitching it).

DISCLAIMER: I have a tendency to be brutally honest (especially when I've been drinking). Some people may take it the wrong way, but remember, it's nothing personal, I'm just an ass (especially when I've been drinking).

Most manufacturers have already done everything they can to improve your MPG. These days, it's a great selling point. Translation: you will sell more vehicles if they have better fuel economy. They only limiting factor are those bastards at the EPA and their emission standards.

There are 6 things you can do to improve you fuel economy:

#1 Change your driving habits. Slowly accelerate from stops, don't accelerate uphill, coast downhill as much as possible, draft, and don’t go above 60 mph.

#2 Increase your airflow by adding an aftermarket intake and exhaust (with mandrel bends). (There isn't much cost benefit here, MPG increase is minimal and parts aren't cheap). This will give you a slightly leaner air/fuel ratio (ideal is 17:1). This ensures there is enough oxygen present to achieve as close to 100% combustion as possible. There will be an increase in H20, CO2 emissions along with NOx (NO, NO2 and N2O), and a decrease in non-combusted hydrocarbon emissions. Any change will be minimal and SHOULDN"T (but might) affect emission tests. An increase in air also increases the number of particles you let into the engine, decreasing engine life. Again the effects are minimal.

#3 Add an underdrive pulley. Basically, this robs power from other components on the drive belt and delivers it to the engine. Those components include: your A/C (so it won't cool as well), power steering, and your alternator (so your battery won't recharge as quickly). Not very cost effective and you gains will be minimal. The pros might not outweigh the cons if you like your A/C or you pull a lot of current.

#4 Improve your aerodynamics. Lower the front end and spray your entire vehicle with Teflon. You chose the wrong vehicle for aerodynamics, and it's not a very cost effective solution.

#5 Lose some weight. Don't carry around unnecessary weight. You lose 1% economy for every 100 pounds. Go on a diet, take a dump, whatever it takes to drop a few pounds (pun intended). For more extreme results Lose the A/C compressor, radio, roof rack, spare tire, all the seats (except the driver's seat), and all of your interior molding and upholstery. You could probably eliminate 250 pounds and gain .5 mpg efficiency. But think of all the money you'd make selling parts of eBay!

6 Move to sea level, or below (stay above the water please). You lose 3%-4% economy for every 1000 feet you are above see level (unless you have a supercharger or turbocharger to cram more air in).

I'd like to thank my friends Copy & Paste, Microsoft Word, SpellChecker and alcohol, the cause of...and solution to, all of life's problems.
I think you and I could get along great!!!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You forgot the all time best one. Park it in the driveway and take the Harley.....wait - I don't have a Harley - No problem I'll just add it to my "things to get list"................................

ender00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anothe tip

7. Work the Overdrive - by my (no evic) calculations i got 24 mpg on my trip last weekend. I was driving backroads and whenever i had to come to a stop and had to go again i took the overdrive off till i got up 50-55 mph. Not really sure if its a fluke or i just did the math wrong, but it makes sense that it would help.