Grinding Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toymanjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 06, 4wd.

Recently it has started making a bad bearing, grinding sound...coming from the console area. Got under it today to listen, sounds like the bell housing area. Does not seem to change with change of rpm, gear (auto) position, transfer case position. Sounds like a bad bearing, or something rubbing on a constant speed PTO shaft.
I'm on the road, towing it behind the Motorhome, I have AT&T sometime cell service, so may not respond to questions right away.

Edit...the noise I hear is sitting still, I can't say one way or another if it changes when moving.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have an 06, 4wd.

Recently it has started making a bad bearing, grinding sound...coming from the console area. Got under it today to listen, sounds like the bell housing area. Does not seem to change with change of rpm, gear (auto) position, transfer case position. Sounds like a bad bearing, or something rubbing on a constant speed PTO shaft.
I'm on the road, towing it behind the Motorhome, I have AT&T sometime cell service, so may not respond to questions right away.

Edit...the noise I hear is sitting still, I can't say one way or another if it changes when moving.
So its more of a grinding sound and not a rattle ??

Toymanjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, it sounds to me kinda like something rubbing on the fly wheel, or when you spin a dry worn out bearing.

I can't say whether it changes when on the road, but at rest it doesn't change with RPM, shift lever position, or transfer case position. It seems constant.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could pop off the inspection plate where the bell housing meets the engine and watch and listen there.

Toymanjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the A/C compressor. The clutch is getting power, but isn't locking in. Turning by hand the bearings are kinda ruff. Must be carrying the sound down thru the engine?

Any way to bypass it with a different belt ?