Greasable or not, what type ujoint?

What type (not brand) Ujoint do you all recommend?

• Greasable

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Non-Greasable

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just like the title states. I am getting a slight vibration and the thunk when going off the throttle and back on quickly. Checked front driveshaft and all is well. Ujoints are original as far as I can tell and feel tight from underneath but look pretty ragged. I'm gonna try to get under there and get a closer look tomorrow. They are a very common ujoint (my 98 Ranger takes the same ones) and I have a "Super Strength" set of each. I'm just trying to decide whether to use the greasable or not.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i like greasable just because i like to feel in control haha but imo as long as is spicer cant go wrong

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gold seal Spicers are the best on the market,and don't have zerks.

You can get Spicers that do have zerks also.

Think of it this way(only applies to high end u-joints,if it's made in china it's not high end,those are bottom of the barrel crap)...........................

Good sealed u-joints like the gold seal spicers will keep the grease in and all the crap out for a very long time,very good seals.

Those good u-joints with zerks also have seals but are not designed to keep the grease in,only to help keep some of the crap from getting in.You must grease then on a very regular basis(every oil change,that is every 3000 miles,no more) of they sling all there grease out.

There are pro's and con's to each.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those good u-joints with zerks also have seals but are not designed to keep the grease in,only to help keep some of the crap from getting in.You must grease then on a very regular basis(every oil change,that is every 3000 miles,no more) of they sling all there grease out.

Hmmm, I was wondering about that too.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I got Moog Super Strength non greasables. Greaseable ones looked like a pain to grease and I figured I'd get more life out of sealed ones than improperly greased greasable ones.

Last edited:

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I buy $10 ujoints and grease them regularly.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Another way to look at is look at how long your factory sealed ones lasted. Presumably a long time.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another way to look at is look at how long your factory sealed ones lasted. Presumably a long time.

Good point! I was thinking about that this morning. The OE Mopars made it 178k and almost 15 years!

I have to admit I'm leaning toward the non-greasable. :emotions34:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

On the 04 the stock ones last 50,000 miles
Spicer greaseables last over 145,000, weren't bad then when I replaced them really
Of course if going wheeling they get greased before and after the trip, plus every 3000 miles
I've ran both over the years, equal results really although the non greaseable ones are stronger, the OCD in me likes the grease able ones though