Grave digging for KJ Parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJNJJeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I am both happy and sad to report that I have tried just about every junkyard in NJ and no one has a 02-07 KJ. I guess that means that they are all still on the road! I am looking for a hitch assembly for an '04 and no one has one or any KJ's for that matter. So it looks like I will be shopping for an after market part for something that should have come standard on my "new" used vehicle.

So... I am looking for a hitch to pull my rig out of the mud, or what-ever else I may get into, if needs be. I have been looking at the Rigid hitches and torn between a class IV (5000lbs) or a III (3500lbs). Thoughts? I am not going to be doing any major towing with this.

http://www.reese-hitches.com/products/Class_IV__2_inch_Receiver_Hitch,RH-054

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
You are better of with heavier duty & stronger rating as found in a class 4 at 5000 lbs. Then...More heavy duty accessories like a cargo rack as shown (Ryan's rig) below is available.
If you had to pull out of a bad steep area, you would be happy to know you're probably not going to tear off the IV model.
I will let others comment on pricing and other US available products.
I know I would rather have a new hitch than something from the junk yard, that is all rusted up.
37042[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• AliceLake00E.jpg
    AliceLake00E.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 0

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are better of with heavier duty & stronger rating as found in a class 4 at 5000 lbs. Then...More heavy duty accessories like a cargo rack as shown (Ryan's rig) below is available.
If you had to pull out of a bad steep area, you would be happy to know you're probably not going to tear off the IV model.
I will let others comment on pricing and other US available products.
I know I would rather have a new hitch than something from the junk yard, that is all rusted up.
37044[/ATTACH]"]

I agree.

Dave

Attachments

• AliceLake00E.jpg
    AliceLake00E.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 0

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
One further note, the larger receiver the better.
The link posted by KJNJEFF stated 2 inch.
I think they should be 2.5 inch receivers on class 4?

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So a 2.5 inch class 4?

Class 5 can have a 2.5" receiver but a 4 typically does not.

3 and 4 have 2", 1 and 2 have a 1.5" receiver. You could get a 2.5" receiver but you lose out on some of the accessories that use the 2" receiver without gaining any extra pulling ability.

Class I up to 2,000 pounds
Class II up to 3,500 pounds
Class III up to 5,000 pounds
Class IV up to 10,000 pounds
Class V over 10,000 pounds

Last edited:

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score

3 and 4 have 2", 1 and 2 have a 1.5" receiver.

And the vast majority of accessories such as cargo baskets, bike carriers, tow hooks/shackles etc are made to fit the 2" size.

I agree a class IV would be the way to go especially if using it as a recovery point.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just make sure you do not get a universal hitch,weak as all hell.Also you mustr use all 6 bolts to hold it on the KJ,some aftermarket KJ hitches only use 4 bolt holes.Make damn sure you use metric grade 10.9 bolts only,the size is M12x1.75x40mm(you can use longer if needed).

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just make sure you do not get a universal hitch,weak as all hell.Also you mustr use all 6 bolts to hold it on the KJ,some aftermarket KJ hitches only use 4 bolt holes.Make damn sure you use metric grade 10.9 bolts only,the size is M12x1.75x40mm(you can use longer if needed).

Is that the strongest bolt grade for that size?

KJNJJeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked out the specs and it comes with the M12x1.75x40mm CL8.8 bolts. I will take a look around for the 10.9.

KJNJJeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check this out..
Class 10.9 Zinc Plated Steel Hex Bolt, M12-1.75, 40mm Length (Pack of 50)
Price: $30.94 on Amazon..
The steel used in these fasteners has a tensile strength ranging from 100,000 to 150,000 psi (pounds per square inch). Zinc Plating helps to prevent corrosion.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score

3 and 4 have 2", 1 and 2 have a 1.5" receiver. You could get a 2.5" receiver but you lose out on some of the accessories that use the 2" receiver without gaining any extra pulling ability.

Class I up to 2,000 pounds
Class II up to 3,500 pounds
Class III up to 5,000 pounds
Class IV up to 10,000 pounds
Class V over 10,000 pounds
Agreed, I just measured my hitch receiver and it is a 2 inch. More accessories in 2 inch!
Now Troy has me wondering since my Kj came with the hitch is it factory or after market mounted with 4 bolts, don't know will have to look!:shrug:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Just took a photo of my hitch mount. It is 3 bolts per side. Dealer installed it before I purchased KJ as the lady wanted a bike rack. So when I bought the Jeep I had to get them to wire it and buy a receiver. (so I knew Kj had never pulled anything) how good is that! Looks like there is room for one more bolt !
37061[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• JeephitchMount.jpg
    JeephitchMount.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 0

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check this out..
Class 10.9 Zinc Plated Steel Hex Bolt, M12-1.75, 40mm Length (Pack of 50)
Price: $30.94 on Amazon..
The steel used in these fasteners has a tensile strength ranging from 100,000 to 150,000 psi (pounds per square inch). Zinc Plating helps to prevent corrosion.
Just for everyones FYI about bolts..........................

As you can see a grade 8.8 bolt will fail before a grade 10.9 has any sort of signs of being stressed.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Good advice tjkj2002, nobody wants to arrive at their destination without the trailer they left home with.

I use my Class 3 trailer hitch to tow about a 22' travel trailer a couple of times a year, a 16' floater and a small utility trailer (my big wheelbarrow). Plus it's my rear tow point.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running the universal hitch, class III, perfect for what I need, most I'll ever pull is a trailer with 2 snow mobiles on it. introduced it to a couple curbs... that was startling. stabbed it into the ground a couple times... when it's time for me to do radical things that should require that, I hope to be sporting a custom rear bumper to attach to.