Got New Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My tires finally took a dump, after 2 long years and whatever previous thrashing they took from an ex KJ'er where I got them from. I had 265/70/16 BFG AT/KO's on the Cragar Soft 8's 16x8 wheels. What horrible rubbing have I had over the last 2 years when A.) Backing up and turning, and, B.) Undergoing any articulation. LOL.

I ordered some new BFG's but in 245/75/16's and boy have I eliminated any and all rubbing (except in full lock backing up there is slight rubbing on the fog light area). I am totally pleased with the new tires and yes I kept Black Wall out (Black on Black). The tread is awesome since I have become used to the "no tread" I had on my old set. Oh, my wobbling of the steering wheel is gone now to which indicated that my old tires had severe cupping, slanting, or incorrect weights.

I got them from DiscountTireDirect with 5% off and free shipping. I followed a Microsoft Live Link which gave me an additional 30% Cash Back reward. So basically for the 4 tires I picked them up for $650 shipped - 30% = $455. That is a hell of a deal for the BFG's. My local tire shop mounted them and balanced them for $50....

It drives so much better now haha. Crazy.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome, and that is a helluva deal!

Where did you get them all mounted and balanced for $50? I'd like to keep that in mind. That's one of the major reasons I never purchased tires online - by the time shipping and mount/balance are factored in, I always thought it'd end up a wash. I thought Mount/balance would run $20-$25 a tire.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome, and that is a helluva deal!

Where did you get them all mounted and balanced for $50? I'd like to keep that in mind. That's one of the major reasons I never purchased tires online - by the time shipping and mount/balance are factored in, I always thought it'd end up a wash. I thought Mount/balance would run $20-$25 a tire.

There is a auto shop called "Advanced Auto" at 10mile/Hoover (its attached to a Sunoco gas station). There are only two guys in there and the owner wouldn't quote me over the phone. I drove it up and I asked him how much is he going to charge me. He said $60 but then I told him it's only 4 not the 5th (spare) so then he said $50.

The two guys there are very friendly and considerate. I hung out with them in the garage while they swapped them out and chatted throughout. Very friendly and I will go back there. I was shopping around at Belle Tire/Discount Tire and they were charging upwards of $20 - 25 per tire.

I recommend checking out Advanced Auto shop (not the store) next time you need something done to the vehicle. Oh! They greased up my upper ball joints too!! haha.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know, I'd be willing to make the drive there for good service.

Also glad to know I wasn't that far off on the "big box" shops' pricing. I thought it'd be around $20-$25 each.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I'm Laughing so hard Phil. You should know why. Congrats on the new tires..again... :)

Eww... 10 Mile and Hoover... my bad luck zone. I try to stay away...

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eww... 10 Mile and Hoover... my bad luck zone. I try to stay away...

What.......you don't like "the girls" that hang there??? .....:D

Good deal on the tires, Phil.

Dave

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My local tire shop mounted them and balanced them for $50....

It drives so much better now haha. Crazy.

That seems like an awfully good mounting and balance price. I seem to recall it was like $19 per tire for the shop I went to.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seems like an awfully good mounting and balance price. I seem to recall it was like $19 per tire for the shop I went to.

Not to mention if they disposed of the old ones - did they Phil?

10 and Hoover doesn't have too many (or any) girls working the corner, does it? I think Marlon's pickup joint is further south.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I've seen "girls" at 10 and Hoover (Read: 1) but not nearly as many as 8 and Groesbeck or heck even 8 and Hoover.

The reason I hate 10 and Hoover ... I've been pulled over by Warren Police too many times there for stupid reasons like 1. Looking too young to drive (when I first got my license) and 2. Making a left turn on a yellow. (Don't ask...) I now take a shortcut. :D Enough of my bad luck, back to Phil's low-cost tires. :D

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to mention if they disposed of the old ones - did they Phil?

10 and Hoover doesn't have too many (or any) girls working the corner, does it? I think Marlon's pickup joint is further south.

Yea they disposed the old ones to. The shop guy asked if I wanted them at the end but I told him to throw em or sell em hehe.

Marlon....I know why you were laughing haha

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What.......you don't like "the girls" that hang there??? .....:D

Good deal on the tires, Phil.

Dave

Thanks! I do not typically order things like this online but I couldn't ignore the Microsoft Live thing offering cash back. The only place I saw "the girls" around here is at the Home Depot. They kept asking for a ride and you know the rest....

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Thanks! I do not typically order things like this online but I couldn't ignore the Microsoft Live thing offering cash back. The only place I saw "the girls" around here is at the Home Depot. They kept asking for a ride and you know the rest....

Home Depot?!?!?! You mean to tell me I gotta stay away from there TOO?!?! :p

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Just looked outside... Phil looks like you got those tires just in time! Did you get the Blazer any new rubber? Gotta keep her safe on the roads you know. ;)

tdamocles

Reaction score
I got them from DiscountTireDirect with 5% off and free shipping. I followed a Microsoft Live Link which gave me an additional 30% Cash Back reward. So basically for the 4 tires I picked them up for $650 shipped - 30% = $455. That is a hell of a deal for the BFG's.

Does discount tire have an ebay store?

Ooops, just found it...

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Man Phil wish I would of known you were getting new tires, I need a spare 265-70-16 BFG AT, and I knew you always talked about rubbing but I don't have a bit of rubbing full lock or anywhere?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Man Phil wish I would of known you were getting new tires, I need a spare 265-70-16 BFG AT, and I knew you always talked about rubbing but I don't have a bit of rubbing full lock or anywhere?
These tires were so screwed up from the get-go that I don't think you'd have even wanted them as a spare. :p