Good mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today, i took my first semi long road trip (for me) And i averaged about 25mpg on the freeway. Doing about 65-70mph. I am happy with that, just have a K&N filter drop in, in the stock airbox. Also got some bigger tires on it so i think thats good for a kj.

I live in the small town of maple ridge where my average commute a day is about 5-10km. So a 150km trip is long for me lol! Anyways, the kj performed great, got a new scratch while in the parking at the beach, little pissed about that, but it should just buff out easily.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant believe you got that mpg with that size tire! Sounds good though!

I get around 18-20 with my 245/70/16 tires on my Steel rims. I use those in the winter and the mpg is always worse in the winter anyway. Ive never used them in the summer.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 255/65 is actually SMALLER in diameter than the 245/70 (29.1 vs 29.7)which would probably help the MPG....but it is wider.

Last edited:

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that just means the wheels spin more, wouldnt that make it worse? lol I was always told taller tires help because then they dont have to rotate as much to cover the distance compared to a shorter tire.

Also just to rub it in more, i had the back stuffed with beach gear and food and about 350lb of passengers.

Here are a few photos taken, crappy camera phone quality:

Arrival with Gf wanting in the picture:
You must be registered for see images attach

Parking lot at the beach:

Quick pic of mpg, i was doin 135km here so it was a bit worse but the road was smooth so i took the pic:

Last edited:

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
smaller diameter means it takes less effort to get the vehicle moving. it's like having a higher gear ratio...as in a 4.10 axle ratio would generally get worse MPG than a 3.55 axle ratio. in your case, it's probably not enough of a difference to really matter all that much though.
another example: remember riding a bike? ever try to start from a stop in one of the higher gears? it's alot harder to get moving in the higher gear...kinda the same with the tires, the smaller the tire the easier it is to get moving.

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
meh, i prefer the wider stance over the tiny bit of height lol. Still good especially since it was filled with gear and a full tank a gas ontop of that

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh, no doubt. i routinely get around 24 mpg in mine when i take trips...so 25 in a 4wd is not bad at all!

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
um where was the beach in those shots? you look like you're in the woods man!

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the beach is too the right in the photo lol. I was parked farther away so i could park in the shade and not burn my ass on the leather when i got back in

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the one beside me? yea its a lifted chevy duramax runnin 40psi of boost. Thing is a monster, makes my kj looks so small :(

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey there ryan sorry i missed your post. The dealership end up giving it to me for 17300 askin was 25000

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like the Duramax lol. If I could get one, I would. As far as the gas mileage, I'm jealous. 19 mpg seems to be the best I can do now.

Tline155

Reaction score
Well i drove a couple hundres miles this weekend, 90% highway. I got a bout 20mpg. I think i could have got more but had a total of about 75-100miles of highway that was 20mph average due to traffic. Sometimes i hate the traffic where i live. :mad:

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats why i love smaller towns, i was able to cruise home from the movie theatre all the way home down the main street doing about 70km and only 1 red light with very light traffic