Good exhaust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoltzKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking to change the sound of my KJ, what would you guys recommend sounds great with this engine?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Magnaflow is best, tried the Flomasters, and they have bad drone at highway speed. With Magnaflow you can actually talk to the person riding with ya

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is some drone with the welded Thrush for local driving, but its gone at highway speeds.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard the Borla on the KJ a while ago and it sounded great. But DAMN was it expensive (if you are talking about the dual pipe Borla).

I have a Magnaflow muffler on my Jeep and I LOVE the sound of it. If I get on it, it has this deep bass to it that just sounds awesome. And as stated, at highway speeds it's not very bad at all.

Unfortunately I don't have the model number at the moment. Mine wasn't a 100% direct fit. I had to do some cutting and clamping with a couple of new pipes.

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a Thrush Welded on mine and it sounded great. A little drone at lower speeds but I also had my exhaust dumped right before the rear diff. Have one on my Titan too and love it.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard the Borla on the KJ a while ago and it sounded great. But DAMN was it expensive (if you are talking about the dual pipe Borla).

Yes I've got the cat back dual. It was on it when I bought it and I've put >90k on it since, so not a bad investment. Sounds awesome especially when you get it up to about 4-5000 rpm. :gr_grin:

Pretty sure my '11 Avenger (3.6L) has a Borla too from the factory. The similarities in looks are amazing and it sounds real good when you get into it.

I've got a Dynomax cat back on my 98 Ranger (4.0 OHV) with the ultraflow welded muffler and it sounds real nice and very inexpensive. Replaced a dual Heartthrob cat back (straight pipes with glass packed "muffler" tips) and the Dynomax might sound a bit better.

Last edited:

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I've got the cat back dual. It was on it when I bought it and I've put >90k on it since, so not a bad investment. Sounds awesome especially when you get it up to about 4-5000 rpm. :gr_grin:

I really, really want to like that setup. It sounds awesome and the dual tips look great... but I cannot stand that cross pipe and how low down it is behind the rear axle. I've thought about getting one and seeing if a local shop could 'massage' it a bit to tuck it up better, or something, but they aren't a cheap kit.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really, really want to like that setup. It sounds awesome and the dual tips look great... but I cannot stand that cross pipe and how low down it is behind the rear axle. I've thought about getting one and seeing if a local shop could 'massage' it a bit to tuck it up better, or something, but they aren't a cheap kit.

Yes that pipe makes the diff fluid swap interesting but really isn't that low on mine. Whoever installed it on mine did a really nice job. Maybe I'll have a different opinion when I get mine lifted a bit.

Geof3

Reaction score
I just put a magnaflow on mine today. Not sure which one, but I am very happy. Both with the sound (not obnoxious) and the performance feel. Definitely better throttle response. I did a simple install, muffler only.

HoltzKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone driven around with stock muffler without the tailpipe? I got hosed in buying my KJ so they did some backyard fixes on it and didn't even weld the tailpipe back on well, they left tons of holes in it and it looks terrible. I was going to take this off for now until i get a new muffler because the exhaust drone through their horrible welds is awful.:emotions34:

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone driven around with stock muffler without the tailpipe? I got hosed in buying my KJ so they did some backyard fixes on it and didn't even weld the tailpipe back on well, they left tons of holes in it and it looks terrible. I was going to take this off for now until i get a new muffler because the exhaust drone through their horrible welds is awful.:emotions34:

When I did my exhaust I went with a Thrush Welded and dumped it before the rear diff. I wouldn't see it being an issue with the stock muffler until you get it repaired or replaced.

jrogers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put a thrush rattler on my 06 and love the sound. I've had a thrush welded, flow super 44 and glass pack and the rattler sounds Much better than any of those and was cheap ($38).its deep and has a nice growl but no noticeable drone

Latest posts

Members online