Getting the lift itch

Discussion in 'Lift Kit Discussion' started by CRD2005, Aug 14, 2017.

1. CRD2005

CRD2005 Full Access Member

Well, I was going to post a new topic asking all these questions about ride height, which springs, do I need control arms blah blah blah.. Then I read the FAQ's, and took all the fun away from posting this!

Anyway, I'll probably start out with an JBA silver package. Probably pull the trigger in about a month or so.

Stock height CRD sitting at about 18 inches in the front measured from the hub, tired of it looking like a Jeep station wagon.

2. tommudd

tommudd Moderator Staff Member Moderator

So you are already at the low end, meaning sitting an inch lower than stock height
    The Silver package is a great way to go, JBA coilovers are great as far as ride, handling etc on and off road. 4 inch on my 04 and 2.5 inch on my 03 .
    Make sure you get the one for the CRD since it requires the higher spring rate .
    Let me know if any other questions, be glad to walk you through the process. Just have to decide now how high you want to go.
    I've lifted a few CRDs here and they seem to do best in the 2.5 to 3 inch range since on the CRDs the front diff sits over to the left side more and much more and the right side CV is on a steeper angle

3. CRD2005

I think I'll be happy with the 2.5-3" for sure. I don't want to go crazy on this thing and want to keep it reliable. I've gone overboard on lifts before and have learned my lesson. Sometimes less is more!

Do you have pics handy of your 2.5 lift? What tires are you running? Would love to pick up something like this.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/wto/d/jeep-wrangler-rubicon-wheels/6249702023.html

4. tommudd

First those wheels won't fit, 5 inch bolt pattern compared to our 4.5
    Second you'd need at least 4 inches of lift and a regear to pull them around
    Third way too much for them, everyone and their Mother has them for sell since no one wants them.
    For 2.5 inch lift 245-75-16s or 265-70-16s , same height basically

5. tommudd

All pictures are being held captive by Photobucket, need to change around and get something else so I can post again

6. towpro

towpro Full Access Member

I agree with photo bucket making most of this near useless. Also at 18", looking to go 2"-3" for beach clearance, but stock size tires. What is a JBA? What is OBM or what ever springs you talk about? I am already have a jobber account for parts, but I need to know part numbers do I can dig them up [emoji3]

7. CRD2005

good to know on the bolt pattern.. didn't even consider that since they are both 5 lug and Jeep!

It's got 245-70-16s on it now, looks like the options you gave net me about 1" more tire.

Re-gear? I got torque for days! (jk) :happy175:

8. CRD2005

:pics-stfu::grd::favorites13:

9. CRD2005

JBA = Jeeping by Al
    JeepinByAl

OME springs.. They are on the above site also. :happy160:

10. tjkj2002

tjkj2002 Full Access Member

Wheeled with a guy that had a CRD,3" of lift and 235/85R16's and he thought he "had torque for days" also till he re-geared to 4.10's and was totally amazed at the difference it made.

11. tommudd

Not with larger tires !
    To do it right no matter if gasser or CRD need a regear

12. CRD2005

guys, guys! I was just kidding! I know the importance of gears with larger tires. Torque likes to break all the stuff between it and the tires without gears.

I'm excited though. Can't wait to get some altitude.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  13. wheeee32

wheeee32 Full Access Member

Re-gear is a beautiful thing once you do it. You discover lost power.:gr_grin:

14. Charlesthe2nd

Charlesthe2nd Full Access Member

Can confirm on need to re-gear. I get horrible gas mileage. Also, I end up leaving overdrive off and switching b/t 1st and 2nd while driving around town, so essentially doubling down on my poor gas mileage.

My next upgrade will be a re-gear. It ain't cheap, but it'll help tremendously

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. libordemise

libordemise Full Access Member

After driving my kj for a year with 4:10s i am now dying to build something bigger so i can run bigger gears and tires... I wish i had a place to do an SFA!! and the knowledge hahaha

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk