Getting out of 4wd Lo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coffman45152

Reaction score
Help Please, (05 liberty Sport/90,000 miles/automatic)

I slid off the road and hit a sign going around a 90 deg. turn about 200 yards from my house the other night due to ice. Cracked the Passenger Side Bumper cover and turn signal. I've only used 4wd once or twice previously. Shifted the transmission into neutral and was able to put the jeep into 4wd Lo. Drove home at 25 mph. Now i cannot get the jeep back into 2wd. I followed the owners manual recommendation about driving 2-3 mpg and trying to shift back into 2wd while in neutral. The 4wd lever will not budge. I've pushed extremely hard multiple times, still no luck.

Any recommendations before i spend my life savings at the mechanics shop.

Thks.
Chris

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try driving it in reverse for at least 20 ft, then try shifting out of 4low. this sometimes helps

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Are you pushing straight down, or to an angle? Follow the pattern on the shifter (kinda have to push it in that direction). It's tricky the first few times. :)

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the lever toward your right knee while the ****** is in neutral and you're moving less than 5mph. When the lever moves to the left push it down to 2wd.

It's a good idea to put your Jeep into 4wd occasionally to keep the transfer case fluids moving and engaging the clutches.

Bob

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the lever toward your right knee while the ****** is in neutral and you're moving less than 5mph. When the lever moves to the left push it down to 2wd.

I'm remembering the shift pattern as such...

|2hi
|4hi
|||Neutral
|4lo

So I would say push the lever to the right a bit if you need.

Am I wrong? The way you're explaining it is like this (I think)...I forget though (it's all natural at this point...)

|2hi
|4hi
|||Neutral
|||4lo

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm remembering the shift pattern as such...

|2hi
|4hi
|||Neutral
|4lo

So I would say push the lever to the right a bit if you need.

Am I wrong? The way you're explaining it is like this (I think)...I forget though (it's all natural at this point...)

|2hi
|4hi
|||Neutral
|||4lo

That's correct. When going from 2wd to 4lo you pull the handle up till it stops, push to the right, then pull up again to 4lo.

When going from 4lo to 2wd you push the handle down till it stops, pull it to the left, then push down to 2wd.

Now for those of you with RHD Libertys/Cherokees you would be using your left hand and pushing/pulling the handle in the opposite direction. :freak3:

Bob

coffman45152

Reaction score
Gentleman,

Thanks for your input, however still no success. I've tried all your recommendations and i still cannot get it out of 4wd Lo. I can't even get the lever to go into Neutral.

Any additional suggestions that i might try?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
get all 4 tires off the ground then try it again, sounds like you have it bound up real good

coffman45152

Reaction score
get all 4 tires off the ground then try it again, sounds like you have it bound up real good

I put the jeep up on blocks so that all 4 tires could rotate freely. Turned on the jeep and put it in Drive then Reverse several times all while trying to Get it out of 4wd Lo. No Luck.

Are there any sensors or fuses related to this mechanism or am i looking at something mechanical? I only drove the jeep about 200 yards when i put it in 4wd Lo and even then i did not exceed 30 mph.

All suggestions welcomed.

Chris

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It takes a fair amount of effort to snap it free if it is stuck. No need to be gentle.

One time my sister went to rent a KJ at the airport, somebody put the transfer case in "N", nobody (bro-in-law, rental car employees) could get it back in gear and they had to take another rental.

coffman45152

Reaction score
Problem Solved,

Soaked the linkage on the transfer case overnight in Penetrating Oil. Tapped the linkage on the transfer case a couple of times and out of 4wd Lo it went. Tested the lever multiple times and everything works like new. Guess i need to start using 4wd a little more often.

Thanks everyone for responding to my questions.

Chris

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's good news!

Ya, take in the mud occasionally and throw it in 4wd. Keeps things operating properly and prevents weird problems with the transfer case.

Bob

BMCD

Reaction score
Just has the same problem with my 2007 Liberty. A short/slow drive up the block while trying to move shifter solved the problem.