Get OBD readings using key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I've read about it before on here, but I cant seem to remember how to get codes to show up using just they key.

Isn't it true that the key method will sometimes display codes a scanner may not?

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the key method worked on the original obd systems. but i dont know if that works anymore. in order to use it it was turn the ignition key on and off something like 5 times in rapid succession, ending in key on. i used it a lot in our old dodge neon. but that system was not always error free. on one occasion, it said the car needed a tps, when in reality it just had a bad plug wire. that was an expensive plug wire!

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It stopped working from the 2005 KJs I believe.:confused:

XRench3 can try it on his 2005 KJ.

Without starting the engine, rapidly turn the ignition ON/OFF 3 times.

After the last ON action leave the ignition ON and the Odometer display will show stored codes from the oldest to the latest.

You cannot erase codes using the KEY method but the last few codes can be investigated...the first codes to roll out could be ancient and no longer valid.

The Export Models such as I have seem to need 4 ON/OFF actions...I will check to see if 3 actions work on my 2002 Export CRD!

My Jeep uses only PCI Bus and even the local Bosch agents cannot pull codes or erase codes...only the Dealers with their DBIII readers can do so.:mad:

You guys with newer Jeeps should find a code reader that works on your Jeep and make use of it!;)

Yesterday my Jeep "Pinged" at me and died. I pulled out my Laptop which I always carry with me...pulled the last codes using the KEY method which pointed to the Oil Pressure Sensor according to the codes I have stored on my Laptop along with the 2002 Service Manuals, Tools, a big hat and a Multi-meter.

I topped up with oil...which I always carry with me and Jeep seems OK!;)

This old girl KJ of mine does burn oil and leaks a bit....fortunately the Owner does not leak yet!o_O

Last edited:
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good reader that works with Jeep’s? I have one, but it’s just a basic run of the mill engine code puller and such

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pull codes for my 08 from my Scangauge II, which is always there.

You must be registered for see images attach

Old pic!!! I now have 174K on the odometer!! :eek:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
A few of us have the less expensive ScanGauge copy.
Autel ****-Trip which works well for code reading/clearing & Viewing Gauges through the OBD2.
You must be registered for see images attach

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought one of those elm327 devices on amazon years ago and use my smartphone with torque pro app to read codes. I have an old auto xray scantool but I have never used it on my 06 KJ

Latest posts

Members online