Gearing for Oversized Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RonT

Reaction score
Only had my Liberty for a few weeks. Had a 2.5 inch lift kit installed, and put on new wheels & tires. Stock tires were 29", new ones are 31". I haven't noticed any big change in drivability, but I know the math doesn't lie. I understand I can have gearing changed (in the differentials, correct?) to make the drivetrain get back to stock specs. What exactly does that entail? In the meantime (because I'm sure it will cost more money), anything I can do to minimize damage to the current drive train? Drive gentle? What part of the drivetrain is most prone to damage? Issue same/better/worse in 2 or 4 wheel drive? Lot's to learn, thanks for any guidance!

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your not going to cause any damage. You'll find yourself staying out of overdrive more in town to keep the Trans from shifting up and down so much. As far as re gearing. Most go to 4.10s. They find the diffs out of a 4 cylinder liberty and swap the whole axle out front and back. Some do some dont. There are some out there running 275/75r16s. That are still running the stock gears (3.73) and are happy with the set up. Gear calculator doesn't even show a 4.10 change until 265/75r16s

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running 265/70's and I regeared to 4.10's and am very happy - basically back to stock ratios.

If you don't regear you should turn your overdrive off when driving around town to keep your transmission from constantly shifting into and out of overdrive. When running 55mph consistently then use the overdrive. Without regearing you'll notice a drop in gas mileage and power.

Regearing to 4.10s is going to run you a nice chunk of money since you'll need an experienced mechanic do it for you - it isn't just a swap - plus the cost of the gears and installation kits. There are specific tools and measurement devices used to set the gears up properly.

The "easier" way is to do as rjkj2005 indicated - find a KJ with a 4 cylinder engine. It's differentials come with 4.10s and you swap out the entire front differential and rear axle. Not a technically difficult job but one you'll want experienced help with if you haven't tackled something like it before.

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Your not going to cause any damage. You'll find yourself staying out of overdrive more in town to keep the Trans from shifting up and down so much. As far as re gearing. Most go to 4.10s. They find the diffs out of a 4 cylinder liberty and swap the whole axle out front and back. Some do some dont. There are some out there running 275/75r16s. That are still running the stock gears (3.73) and are happy with the set up. Gear calculator doesn't even show a 4.10 change until 265/75r16s

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You will cause damage to the transmission and motor due to running larger tires / more weight etc. Transmission works harder , engine doesn't run at a good RPM, keeps lugging down etc
Have heard of only a handful over the last 12 plus years that went bigger tires and stayed stock gearing and say they were happy, well they did when they finally regeared ! :icon_lol:
Gear calculators are not even close to being right for the KJs , but with a 32 inch tall tire it would work out to a 4.25/4.27 or so to be in the right range. So with say 245-75-16s or 265-70-16s ( same height ) 4.10 is perfect for the KJ

I ran for a week with 265-75-16s and 3.73s couldn't even use OD until 70-75 and then still kept shifting back and forth
BEST thing you can do is regear

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What model years did the 4-bangers come with 4:10 gears? My long-term plan for my 05 KJ is to do a lift and use larger tires, so I should be on the lookout for these used diffs.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I think Johns was an earlier model and the last one of mine was from an 04

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do 05s still have the dual brake line and abs? This is the next step for me

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the meantime (because I'm sure it will cost more money), anything I can do to minimize damage to the current drive train? Drive gentle? What part of the drivetrain is most prone to damage? Issue same/better/worse in 2 or 4 wheel drive? Lot's to learn, thanks for any guidance!

Auto or stick? The manual trans won't be hurt by the larger tires.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Auto or stick? The manual trans won't be hurt by the larger tires.

BUT still should regear manual or automatic
Most find that 5 or 6th gear is useless when running larger tires, just like with the automatics, regearing brings the engine back into the right torque range

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny thing is Mopar 'degeared' the KK manuals to 3.21. KJ's 3.54 was too deep I guess. :shrug:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Funny thing is Mopar 'degeared' the KK manuals to 3.21. KJ's 3.54 was too deep I guess. :shrug:

NO the funny thing is they were just trying to get an extra .0111111 MPG:happy175:
Driven manuals/ automatics etc over the past 40 plus years that have been lifted and with UP TO 44s and no matter which transmission or motor, they all benefited from a regear when larger/ heavier tires and wheels were added.

jharrisliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope the 4 channel ABS did not appear till '06 and the demise of the 2.4 gas engine and 4.10 gears.

I was planning to regear at some point and possibly go this route. Would this still be possible with my '06 or at that point would it just make more sense to just take the 4.10 gears out and swap them.