Gear ratio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tom that starts to make sense now. So do you think this is not too much trouble to fit the 4.88? I won't be doing the job myself but I was worried to start telling the guy who will do it that the gear and pinion would not fit in the differential without grinding the teeth.
heck they might have to grind some installing 4.56's in the 8.25.The 8.25 has no carrier break and why mods are required for gear sets lower then 4.10's as the 8.25 was never designed for lower gears then 4.10's.

There are some real oddball setups out there now.I have a high pinion D60 center section in the rear of my KJ(RockJock60) and at the time to get 5.13 gears that were not reverse cut(for front apps only) I had to get a ARB locker for 4.56 gears and higher and use Motive Gears "thick" 5.13 gear set.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes quite a few have had to grind for 4.56s
talked to a guy today that had to when his were installed

The Big Boulonnais

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heck they might have to grind some installing 4.56's in the 8.25.The 8.25 has no carrier break and why mods are required for gear sets lower then 4.10's as the 8.25 was never designed for lower gears then 4.10's.

There are some real oddball setups out there now.I have a high pinion D60 center section in the rear of my KJ(RockJock60) and at the time to get 5.13 gears that were not reverse cut(for front apps only) I had to get a ARB locker for 4.56 gears and higher and use Motive Gears "thick" 5.13 gear set.

Hi Troy,

I want to fit an ARB Locker in my 8.25 with 4.88 gears. Anything in particular I should know? Do I also need a bearing and seal kit?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not Troy
but yes you'll need a bearing/install kit
always want to replace your bearings, plus you get new crush sleeve etc

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So do you still need to grind some off the top of the tooth when installing a carrier like the DTT, 2.73 and higher carrier setup for say 4.56 gears? Theoretically if you don't have a center pin to put in, there should be no clearance issues, correct?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So do you still need to grind some off the top of the tooth when installing a carrier like the DTT, 2.73 and higher carrier setup for say 4.56 gears? Theoretically if you don't have a center pin to put in, there should be no clearance issues, correct?
You still have a center pin for a DTT,or a Detroit locker,and yes even a ARB airlocker.That center pin keeps the axles in place so the C-clips do not fall out thus letting the axle fall out of the housing.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You still have a center pin for a DTT,or a Detroit locker,and yes even a ARB airlocker.That center pin keeps the axles in place so the C-clips do not fall out thus letting the axle fall out of the housing.

found some installs for the xj, i see what you mean. didn't see center pin in the majority of the DTT glamour shots.