Gear ratio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Big Boulonnais

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need to be well over 23" flare to hub,more like closer to 24"-25"(5"-6" of lift) to clear 33" tires and still maintain full flex.

I'm at 9" of lift to get full flex while running 35" tires with full width axles(5" wider then stock).

Thanks again man. You've enlightened me on that particular subject.
Not that I believe in Santa anymore but there are guys on Facebook with KJ who say they ride on 33"s and their lift doesn't seem to be much higher than mine so that used to bug me.

I suppose all depends how they use their jeep I mean if it's just on Hyghways then that might be ok but for off roading there must be a proper lift to allow full flex.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You will need to be well over 23" flare to hub,more like closer to 24"-25"(5"-6" of lift) to clear 33" tires and still maintain full flex.

Agree completely
I have over 4 inches of lift (sitting at 23.50) in the front and I still wouldn't even try and run 33s even if I had a steel front diff. Then I'd want even lower gears even with 32s wish I had lower than 4.10s
Heres a 6 inch and 33s ( Blue one owned by JeepinByAl) sitting beside mine with 32s etc
You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks again man. You've enlightened me on that particular subject.
Not that I believe in Santa anymore but there are guys on Facebook with KJ who say they ride on 33"s and their lift doesn't seem to be much higher than mine so that used to bug me.

I suppose all depends how they use their jeep I mean if it's just on Hyghways then that might be ok but for off roading there must be a proper lift to allow full flex.

Yes there are some on Facebook who say they are running 33s but they have also hacked the "H" out of their fenders etc and still don't have that much room. Then others have thrown together lifts that I wouldn't drive down my driveway to fit 33s

The Big Boulonnais

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree completely
I have over 4 inches of lift (sitting at 23.50) in the front and I still wouldn't even try and run 33s even if I had a steel front diff. Then I'd want even lower gears even with 32s wish I had lower than 4.10s
Heres a 6 inch and 33s ( Blue one owned by JeepinByAl) sitting beside mine with 32s etc

Thanks Tom,

Great pic this one !! I can tell the difference of lift between the two but it's difficult to tell the difference of tyre size. Maybe yours seem a little bit narrower as I suppose you are on 32x11.50 and he is on 33x12.50.

Anyway yes I am going to seriously think about this as it's a really big expense and I wouldn't do anything that could jeopardise my and my passengers safety just to gain in tyre size.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the 23" mark you can run 265/75R16's on a 16x7 rim with 4" of back spacing and have very little rub and get some mad flex.

Of course not as much as what I currently run...

The Big Boulonnais

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the 23" mark you can run 265/75R16's on a 16x7 rim with 4" of back spacing and have very little rub and get some mad flex.

Yes bear in mind I have a CRD so the first thing if I want to go above 22" would be to get my CVs machined. If only I knew what needs to be done to the CVs I know someone who could do mine.

The Big Boulonnais

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course not as much as what I currently run...

Bloody Hell !!! Very impressive !!!

I couldn't see these pictures last night as I was using the computer at work. It allows me to log in sites like this but its Censorship doesn't download pictures.

This is mad to have so much suspension travel!! Really impressive pics Man!!
Thank you.

The Big Boulonnais

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tjkj2002

I sent you a pm. I would be very grateful if you could reply.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tjkj2002

I sent you a pm. I would be very grateful if you could reply.

Plus remember regearing will be needed with 265-75-16s

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question yellowcoyote said regear affects the different transmissions in different ways. How would 3.73s do behind a 700r4 transmission?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question yellowcoyote said regear affects the different transmissions in different ways. How would 3.73s do behind a 700r4 transmission?
Well your not talking about a KJ then and being the 700R4 is the 1st gen of GM electronic shifting OD trans(upgraded t350 basically) and generally found behind a V8 you not see the effects as much due to the V8 depending on what size you are going to.

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well your not talking about a KJ then and being the 700R4 is the 1st gen of GM electronic shifting OD trans(upgraded t350 basically) and generally found behind a V8 you not see the effects as much due to the V8 depending on what size you are going to.

Good to know in the middle of dropping a 350 in mine

The Big Boulonnais

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 8.25 in any year of the KJ,and KK,uses the same gears so be it a '02 KJ with the 8.25 or a '12 KK with the 8.25 you can regear to 4.56's.There are 4.88's out there but you must grind down some of the ring gears teeth to get the center pin back in.

Hi TJKJ, I don't want to be a pain in the back side but I am now looking at ordering all my stuff from JBA and I was looking at buying with the steel D30 Diff the 4.88 ring & pinion gear set but you said the other day that I would have to grind down some of the ring gear teeth. How can they sell ring & pinion gear sets with 1 year warranty if they need to be grinded in order to fit in the differential? Why would the 4.88 need to be grinded and not the 4.56?
I am sorry but this really does puzzle me !

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The 8.25 in any year of the KJ,and KK,uses the same gears so be it a '02 KJ with the 8.25 or a '12 KK with the 8.25 you can regear to 4.56's.There are 4.88's out there but you must grind down some of the ring gears teeth to get the center pin back in.

Hi TJKJ, I don't want to be a pain in the back side but I am now looking at ordering all my stuff from JBA and I was looking at buying with the steel D30 Diff the 4.88 ring & pinion gear set but you said the other day that I would have to grind down some of the ring gear teeth. How can they sell ring & pinion gear sets with 1 year warranty if they need to be grinded in order to fit in the differential? Why would the 4.88 need to be grinded and not the 4.56?
I am sorry but this really does puzzle me !
Without pictures right at hand its hard to explain to someone who has never done a gear setup but has to do with the size of the teeth etc. To try to explain in simple terms lower gears different size teeth, those teeth are large enough in the 4.88s that you can not get the pin in without first grinding the edge off of some of the teeth so you can slide it in.
I'll try and dig out some pictures later or maybe Troy will pop in and have some handy
But at least one tooth has to be ground down some, some prefer to grind 2 teeth down for better fitment .

Last edited:

The Big Boulonnais

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without pictures right at hand its hard to explain to someone who has never done a gear setup but has to do with the size of the teeth etc. To try to explain in simple terms lower gears different size teeth, those teeth are large enough in the 4.88s that you can not get the pin in without first grinding the edge off of some of the teeth so you can slide it in.
I'll try and dig out some pictures later or maybe Troy will pop in and have some handy
But at least one tooth has to be ground down some, some prefer to grind 2 teeth down for better fitment .

Thanks Tom that starts to make sense now. So do you think this is not too much trouble to fit the 4.88? I won't be doing the job myself but I was worried to start telling the guy who will do it that the gear and pinion would not fit in the differential without grinding the teeth.