G'day from Australia

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turner

Reaction score
Hey there all.. I've just joined this site as I am having the greatest amount of trouble with my much loved 02 3.7lt KJ (cherokee over here) and I thought I would go to all you experts over there..

After I removed and replaced the dash to check on the blend door actuator, and I also flushed the heater core my 3.7lt, the car begun to idle rough. It was just rough at idle but thats it, other then that it ran ok.. While trying to work this problem out I drove the car on short trips for a couple days but nothing to much. After leaving a local auto shop with a radiator flush in the system as I thought i'd re-flush and bleed the system again, the car stepped into a really rough idle and I couldn't drive faster then 20km/h. About 500m down the road, the car stalled not to start again.

-I removed the dash again to check the wiring
-Replaced the crank angle sensor
-Checked wiring and cleaned all under bonnet conections
-Cleaned MAP sensor on the front of the intake manifold and the other sensor on the side of the manifold
-Changed spark plugs

Heres the funny thing. After I changed the plugs, the car started.. It idled extremely rough for a couple minutes and when I went to move the car off the road into the drive, it died again and won't start. I removed a brand new plug and it was covered black, dry carbon so I figured the fuel was getting there..

A week later I removed a coil pack and spark plug to earth and check for spark.. When I cranked the engine to test for spark, the car started!! It was running (not well of course) with only 5 spark plugs in.. I put the plug back in, and back to square 1. It cranks but won't run.. I did the same on another plug and coil, and again it started and run on 5, but not when I replaced it...

Im thinking that the dash removal and core flush may have been a co-incidense but I really don't know and am out of ideas with not much money to through into it. Also, I did the ignition trick for the codes and the only one that came up is the radiator fan relay circuit code that is there because I had the fan removed at the time I guess. No other codes, and now i can't seem to get that up with the off,on,off,on,off,on trick.

If any of you knowledgeable Jeepians over there in the home of the Jeep have any input you could give I'd love to hear it..

Thanks in advance..

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(welcome) Mate!

Great to have you here on the forum. I'm much better with mechanical versus electrical issues but I would think the issues you're having may have something to do with the dash removal. Seems something is disconnected or a wire is frayed and that is related to your issues.

Very interesting that you're able to get the Jeep to start when you remove one of the plugs and coil packs - that points to the firing order being incorrect. Had that happen once when helping on a shakedown cruise for a twin engine yacht - one engine would not run and we traced it back to the ignition wiring being run to the wrong plugs (from the factory believe it or not.)

The BCM is located in the left footwell (I believe yours is in the same place as the LHD models but if you don't find it there then look in the right footwell.) Maybe a plug was pulled out during the dash removal/installation process.

Repost your question in the General Discussion section as you'll get more responses there. Billwill - our resident electrical guru from South Africa - is likely to see it there and he is very good at diagnosing gremlins like the one you're experiencing.

All the best :waytogo:

Bob