Gas Overflowing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dalek74

Reaction score
I've been having this problem for a little over 2 years with my 2005 Jeep Liberty. I had (or so I thought) the service department look at this about a year ago, and afterwards, it stopped spilling over. That lasted a couple of months, and then again back to the spilling. The most recent time I took my liberty to the dealership for routine service, I asked them to look at it again. I was told that the overfill device was inside the actual tank, and the only way that they could fix it is by replacing the fuel tank. They said that it would take a few days for the part to come in, and with parts and labor, it would run somewhere around $900.00. Typically, I try to stop the pump prior to it overflowing, and I check the fuel gauge. But even as recently as today, I think I put about $.75 - $1.00 worth of fuel onto the ground.

Wonder if replacing the fuel tank will solve the problem, or if, like someone else posted, it's not the tank that's the problem, but the design.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
there is an overflow canister with what is essentially charcoal in it.. its there to take the overflow from your gas tank when you top off. or whatever..
over time it fills up and becomes useless. and then youre forced to memorize how much gas your tank can hold. Its my understanding that theyre a bit expensive to replace so i just let mine go too..

i have this too... dont feel like spending the $ to get it replaced/reclaimed

desync0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The charcoal canister is for emissions, it traps fuel vapor.

Next time you fuel up insert the nozzle and notice that you can move it "up and down" when think you're getting close, try raising the angle of the nozzle.

That will point the end of the nozzle more downward and should trip the nozzles over flow stop sooner, works fine for me since I've started doing it. And NEVER top off after it clicks, as little as 15 cents after it's clicked has spilled for me.

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you guys with the overflow problem on my '05 Renny. Here in Jersey we have station attendants, no self service, so I try to go to the same (American owned and operated) station whenever I can, and they let me fill it myself. If I go a (non American owner / operator) station and attempt to explain to the non english speaking attendant that he can't top off my tank, I get the nod like he understands, then attempts to top off my tank anyway, and I pay for gas on the ground and running down the side of my Liberty.....:mad:

If I'm not paying strict attention I've had a few splash backs, sometimes they just can't be avoided, but if you take your time, run it in slow and listen, you can usually hear when it's just starting to hit the throat of the filler tube.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is an overflow canister with what is essentially charcoal in it.. its there to take the overflow from your gas tank when you top off. or whatever..
over time it fills up and becomes useless. and then youre forced to memorize how much gas your tank can hold. Its my understanding that theyre a bit expensive to replace so i just let mine go too..

i have this too... dont feel like spending the $ to get it replaced/reclaimed
Incorrect

The charcoal canister is for emissions, it traps fuel vapor.

Correct

mechanic guy ( might have been trying to rip me off) told me about the canister..
He is a idiot and does not understand what the EVAP system does or how it functions.

I "top off" every time I fill up,how much varies from fill up to fill up due to I hate odd #'s,if the pump clicks off at $15.10 I continue to $16 even.Never had a issue.

True story about "topping off" and the EVAP system...........

My old man has '96 Ford Exploder(one of many vehicles) that has always had a EVAP code for the vent solenoid,he bought it with that code back in '02(it had 91k miles).It never got very good mileage(302 V8 and AWD),about 11mpg city and 16mpg highway.He always topped off the tank when filling up,and would keep going until gas was at the very top of the fill tube.After 2 years of doing this he was driving down the highway with the cruse set at 75mph,the engine ****** very badly once and then all was normal again.The check engine light went off and it has ran much better and the mpg's went up to 18 city and 23 highway.All that liquid gas that is not supposed to get into or be in the EVAP canister finally unclogged the vent solenoid and the system started working correctly.

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also round up to even $. Cant stand the odd numbers.
Never had the splash back routine either.
However I set the auto cutoff at the slowest speed. Wait for the click off and round up.
Never an issue.
03, LE, 3.7, 45RFE, etc..

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same exact problem here with an 05' Sport, no topping off of the fuel. I've actually had this problem for all the 3 years I've had my KJ. It's under warranty and I asked the local dealer, they also said to pump slower. Since then, my local dealer was shut down, so I'd still like to talk with another dealer about it.

Over the years I've read A LOT of these complaints. It appears to also be an issue with some Dakotas, and the only true solution I've read is to have the tank replaced.

This is INCREDIBLY annoying for one -you get gas on your paint/fender and two - you smell like gas after cleaning it off.

jeepchic79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 02 and have been having this prob ! then when it over flow`s it throws code p0455 . Reset light and until it over flow`s again it will stay off ......

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never had a problem topping off in my 03 Renny. The only time I had an issue was when I tried to top off from $38.10 to $40 which was almost an extra gallon. I wanted to see how much could actually fit and that was the only time it's happened. Generall when I top off it's anywhere from $.15 to $.90

drinkNfight

Reaction score
Just thought id add my jeep to this. i cant use the auto stops anymore because it does not auto stop. I start filling, click the lever down or up(depends on where i go), stand there and wait, it never stops. If I was to leave it i could empty the gas stations tank(seems like that anyways) without ever autostopping. And i never top off. Getting that extra gallon is silly. What are you trying to "save" exactly? Anyways. I now have to figure out exactly how much room there is and go a little under that just to make sure. So this is certainly not a topping off issue. Its a "the damn auto off feature doesnt work on some libertys issue".

TigerPaw

Reaction score
My kj has this problem too. I have to do the whole "guessing" thing when im at the pump. When I get close what I think the amount is I let off the pump a bit so I dont over flow. Ive spilled quite a bit of gas a few times when it first started happening. It just sort of started out of the blue.

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is ridiculous. If it really is an issue with a check valve in the tank, and really is a safety issue, there should be a recall.
How do we get Chrysler to roger to up to the issue?

(Yes, mine has the problem)

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This used to happen to me every time. Now I know that when my gas light comes on it will take about 18 gallons...so I pump full speed until I get to 17....then I let off and go really slow until it auto shuts off. No more overflow.

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems to change with the weather and gas pump. I have had this problem too, hasn't happened lately and I am still filling up 1-3 times a week.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Topping off is not a good idea, which is why "they" tell you not to do it. That said, I will sometimes carefully top off my tank when driving a long distance. I can usually get almost an extra gallon in there, which equates to 15-20 miles of highway driving. I always pump slowly though, and I keep the nozzle fully seated in the filler neck.

5characters

Reaction score
This has happened to my wife 3 out of the 4 times she have refueled, and I had it happen as well, it’s as if the is no automatic shut off for the pump, even thou we have been to multiple gas station, that use different nozzle. We just fill it at half pull and watch the gallons, when it get around time to start spilling we stop it on the nearest .05, (but that mostly to keep our finances in order) Filling up slower really helped.

sailorbowman

Reaction score
Recall

This is ridiculous. If it really is an issue with a check valve in the tank, and really is a safety issue, there should be a recall.
How do we get Chrysler to roger to up to the issue?

(Yes, mine has the problem)

My 2006 just started overflowing after 6 years and 85K miles of troublefree fill ups.

I have not changed my fillup habits. Insert filling tube, fill on automatic, remove filling tube.

I have never tried to squeeze in more fuel after the click of the auto handle shutoff. Never. I know that it is a bad practice to do so. It can mess up the onboard evaporative system. Could this be happening right now due to these faulty fuel tank valves?

Your recall idea is a good one. I am going to complain to the NTSB when I get home.

I did one time before and I was treated like the perverbial red headed step child. I still filed a written complaint but ended up dumping the vehicle on the wholesale market to get rid ot it. (not a KJ)

They were about as bad as the FAA complaint resolution personel.

I will advise as to the outcome of this complaint.

Meanwhile, I will not fill up the tank. As previously stated by a bright poster, I will limit the purchase based on gallons needed.

Thanks.