Gas Overflowing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktsmalls21389

Reaction score
I've had my Liberty for a little over three years, and recently when I go to get gas, it overflows, the gas pump seems to shut off right as it's overflowing. I've gone to a few different stations, to make sure it wasn't a particular one. I'm not sure how to fix this, and wasn't sure if anybody else has encountered this problem.

any information on fixing this would be excellent!
Thanks so much! :)

BMR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happens to me all the time... I think I read something somewhere about Liberties having short fill tube necks or something of the sort.

Doesn't really help much, I know. But you're not alone!

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never had it overflow on me, I normally let it stop automatically, and squeeze it again, maybe 2-3 times. The only time it overflew was when the nozzle had a lot of gas in it after it shut off and that kept flowing.

ktsmalls21389

Reaction score
okay great! I'm waiting to see if maybe it will just stop overflowing on it's own, but it's good to know I'm not the only one having this problem. I just found somewhere online that someone took there liberty to get it fixed and had to spend 300 dollars to have it repaired.. I'm not sure that's quite worth the money, I mean, it's not leaking THAT much fuel. but thanks again! :)

beartard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To the OP, does your locality require vapor-recovery hoses at gas pumps? I've never had mine overflow, but the pumps here definitely stop a lot more quickly than places I've been without them.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay great! I'm waiting to see if maybe it will just stop overflowing on it's own, but it's good to know I'm not the only one having this problem. I just found somewhere online that someone took there liberty to get it fixed and had to spend 300 dollars to have it repaired.. I'm not sure that's quite worth the money, I mean, it's not leaking THAT much fuel. but thanks again! :)

I had that happen to me a few times over the course of a month. Then it went away. It just leaked enough for me to hear the gas hitting the ground then the pump stopped.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had it happen to me but only if I try to round out the price after the pump shuts off. Mine doesn't like being force fed and will spit it all out all over me. So I just do not do that. I also do not pump it at full blast. I use the medium setting.

We don't have any vapor recovery nozels/hoses here as we're still backward in Upstate NY. Maybe that makes a difference as someone elce asked.

Dave

ktsmalls21389

Reaction score
Yeah, I've actually heard from a lot of places that it's caused from topping off, however, although i got the car 5 months used, i've never myself topped off. I'm not sure if the gas stations around here have the vapor recovery nozels/hoses, but I'm sure that could play a part. I guess from now on, when I fill up, I'll use the medium setting, maybe that will help :)

thanks so much!

rxraptor02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does this just about everytime as well. The dealer never heard of this issue. I was told to not put the nozzle all the way into the tank. That didnt help....

I just watch the gallons and when I think it is getting close I trickle it in until it stops. Now I only over fille it 1/2 of the time.

I am glad that I am not the only one with this issue as well.

-James

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually just stop where the pump stops because otherwise it'll overflow on me, and I'd rather not smell like fuel. In my experience, even trying to get a few clicks more out of the pump results in an overflow, so I would suggest just leaving it when it stops.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
Before I got my Liberty I always topped off because I hate change! But, I guess the short tank neck makes since if I hit the nozzle one extra time to bump it up 3 cents here it comes back out and straight to the ground, so like many others have said I just don't top it off anymore lol.

dm1tonram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my wifes does the same thing, and we have never topped it off. the length of the fill neck shouldnt be as much of an issue as the diameter right? If its a smaller diameter the fuel fills it much faster so it doesnt shut off fast enough. Has anybody fixed this themselves with a larger fill neck or some sort a tee at the top of the neck by the fill so the fuel has somewhere to go other than out?

Boiler

Reaction score
As I read these threads one thing is clear to me. People that do not have the real problem just can't help but read "fuel overflowed when topping off" even when people actually say they aren't topping off, but just setting the automatic pumping.

The fuel overflows for a split second right as the automatic shutoff clicks. Its quite the pain in the rear and it happens to me every time, no matter how I vary my pumping.

I like to check milage, so not filling up all the way is a pain. Plus, I'd be getting gas more often, as sometimes its hard to judge how much gas you need anyway...

wagonbldr

Reaction score
I noticed that the Liberty is much less forgiving about topping off the tank. I was used to my Cherokee. I could usually get another gallon in after it clicked off. Almost overflowed the Liberty the first few times. Can only get another tenth or two after it clicks off. The short filler neck issue makes scence. So now I am more careful when filling it.

Powers978

Reaction score
My '05 Liberty used to do the same thing. Really used to piss me off because I was afraid the the gas may slowly start to eat away at the paint or body work. Took it to my dealer. I at first suspected that there may be debris somewhere in there causing back pressure of some sort. Had a friend look at it and said that it looked like it was missing the door to the tank. Took it to the dealer. Had them replace the entire tank. I was told that it was the valve that is used to prevent fuel from spilling everywhere after a vehicle rolls over. The value was faulty and stuck in place a guess. Seems like a common liberty problem for some reason. For those of you with the problem I would highly suggest correcting it soon because it is both a safety and environmental issue. Hope I helped. Unsure if this is the same problem in your Jeeps, although the symptoms sounds the same.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed that the Liberty is much less forgiving about topping off the tank. I was used to my Cherokee. I could usually get another gallon in after it clicked off. Almost overflowed the Liberty the first few times. Can only get another tenth or two after it clicks off. The short filler neck issue makes scence. So now I am more careful when filling it.

I guess I'm still confused. Could this be a vehicle year thing? I was on my way to Canada the other day and wanted the free discounted lift ticket for buying $10 of gas at a Shell station. I was at like $9 and was trying to squeeze that last dollar in there and filled it so high the gas was sitting outside the small orifice into the gas cap area but I still never overflowed it. I actually had to run the car for 15 seconds to suck the gas down in there so I could put on the filler cap. Kinda scary to see how fast your vehicles uses gas... anyhoo...

I've overflowed other vehicles, but never the KJ. I remember in the "old days" of unleaded fuel when they made the unleaded have the really small opening you could overflow some of those vehicles. My dad overflowed the hell out of his 1980 Datsun 810 and it hosed the finish on the paint.

brightdog

Reaction score
I'm having the very same problem with my 05 3.7L. Started happening back in January...had never happened before that, not even once. but since then, it happens most everytime I fill up. I've tried different stations but the problem persists no matter where I go.

And I'm not trying to top it off...Just filling until the pump shuts itself off results in gas flowing back up through the neck and running down the side of the fender....really ****** me off.

I tried to troubleshoot it a bit by disconnecting the vent tube that runs from the tank up the side of the neck and goes into neck at the top where you fill it. There is a quick-connect fitting that you can access from underneath the car. I disconnected it and there was fuel in a low hanging section of the tube. I blew it out hoping that was the cause of the problem, but unfortunatly it didn't make any difference.

I think Powers978 is probably right about a valve at the bottom of the next down in the tank not closing properly, but it looks like the only remedy for it is to replace the tank....and that' not something I'm prepared to do at this point.

So instead I've gotten used to the idea of running it down to about 1/8 of a tank left, and then pumping 15 gallons into it. Not an ideal solution, but a lot better than the cost and effort of replacing the tank.

If anyone else has a solution that doesn't involve replacing the tank, I'm all ears.

Reaction score
I've read a lot of replies on this thread regarding people topping off their vehicles at the gas station. DON"T do this. I work for the state fire marshals office in the state that I live, and my job is gas station inspections. If your using a vapor recover nozzle, when the gas gets up to the nozzle it flow into the vapor recover system and goes back into the stations tank. You are paying for gasoline that your not getting. When we check the stations inventory at the end of the month to see if they are leaking fuel. The inventory often shows they have more fuel than they pumped during the month. This can be by hundreds of gallons. Part of the reason is fuel entering the recovery system. There usually is a sticker on the pump that says do not top off. I also have a liberty that overfills and I think the only solution is to fill it slow.

JMSMN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have put 11000 miles on my 06' sport since I have bought it and never had fuel spray back out at me once. And every time I fill up I always bump the nozzel a few more times to get it to the nearest dollar. Im must be lucky I guess.

cwatson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same problem on my '05 Sport, glad I'm not alone. I don't "top off", just let it shut off automatically. Paint hasn't been affected yet, but the plastic fender shows some discoloration. Makes me angry!!