Frustrated Newbie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hbogan

Reaction score
First....I love my 04 Liberty. Black on Black, low miles...Love it.

But, I'm frustrated with my current situation. I have owned the vehicle a total of 13 days and the following things have been 'unearthed' with the Jeep.

1 - Power Mirror quit working (No biggie they were already set where I wanted them)
2 - Blower control motor quit working (Its freakin cold here too!)
3 - Sway bar bushings need... greased? Replaced (According to the dealership, replaced)
4 - ...and this is the biggie....leaking transmission and/or transfer case.

Of course I have an extended warranty for all this work, but, to make a long story short... this was supposed to be a 'certified' vehicle, they can't find the paperwork to prove it was ever certified. The reason this is a big issue is the dealership has to certify the vehicle in order for them to be eligible for an extended warranty purchase. Kind-of a different situation huh? (blarg)

I never even had the opportunity to run it in GRASS, let alone off-road sad2.gif

Big A

Reaction score
Woah... I am sorry to hear this!

I bought my '04 in December with 24,000 miles and so far it's all in great condition.
I also bought it from a Dodge dealership that certifies their pre owned, And they presented all the carfax, dealer checklist ect before i took possession.

If all else fails, Sewttle for nothing less than a full refund and buy another one from a different dealer

Good luck!

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1 - Power Mirror quit working (No biggie they were already set where I wanted them)
2 - Blower control motor quit working (Its freakin cold here too!)
3 - Sway bar bushings need... greased? Replaced (According to the dealership, replaced)
4 - ...and this is the biggie....leaking transmission and/or transfer case.

1 - Check connections and fuses

2 - Easy fix. Resistor is behind the glove box. Very common problem. I had the same issue when I first bought my KJ. Check this how-to: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26012&highlight=blower+motor

3 - Spray some silicon lube on them weekly, or do this mod: http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12494&highlight=

4 - What do you mean "and/or"? Where is it leaking? The ****** pan? Probably needs a drain. Not very hard, drop the pan, replace the filter (****** is 42RLE), get a gasket or red RTV. Put 4 qts (?) ATF+4 thru the dipstick. Here is a how-to: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32338&highlight=transmission

Never heard of someone having a problem with their t-case leaking?

Hope this helped :)

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course I have an extended warranty for all this work, but, to make a long story short... this was supposed to be a 'certified' vehicle, they can't find the paperwork to prove it was ever certified. The reason this is a big issue is the dealership has to certify the vehicle in order for them to be eligible for an extended warranty purchase. Kind-of a different situation huh? (blarg)
Just my opinion, but if you have written proof that the dealer sold you the extended warranty then that would imply that it was certified and it is on them to honor it, regardless of whether they can find the certification paperwork or not because at some point they DID have it. I would take that proof down to them, drop it on the desk and say 'I want it fixed' (might make a copy first).

Big A

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but if you have written proof that the dealer sold you the extended warranty then that would imply that it was certified and it is on them to honor it, regardless of whether they can find the certification paperwork or not because at some point they DID have it. I would take that proof down to them, drop it on the desk and say 'I want it fixed' (might make a copy first).
Good point.

Mine did come with a bumper to bimper 3 month, 3000 mile warranty. This should apply to your deal also.

hbogan

Reaction score
1 - Check connections and fuses

2 - Easy fix. Resistor is behind the glove box. Very common problem. I had the same issue when I first bought my KJ. Check this how-to: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26012&highlight=blower+motor

3 - Spray some silicon lube on them weekly, or do this mod: http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12494&highlight=

4 - What do you mean "and/or"? Where is it leaking? The ****** pan? Probably needs a drain. Not very hard, drop the pan, replace the filter (****** is 42RLE), get a gasket or red RTV. Put 4 qts (?) ATF+4 thru the dipstick. Here is a how-to: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32338&highlight=transmission

Never heard of someone having a problem with their t-case leaking?

Hope this helped :)

I checked the fuses, they were fine. Service guy said it was the power mirror switch. The blower, and bushing are easy fixes I agree, but the leaking trans/case is not something I can do -- Im not that mechanically gifted. I thought that it was just the transmission but the service guy said the 'and/or' part.

I have already made the calls to the service managers asking that this be taken care of because I have copys of the warranty contract, and others.

jeepkj...thank you for all the links above. Thats alot of work to do just for a newbie like me. That is MUCH appreciated! :)

Last edited:

2003KJ

Reaction score
First thing I would do is verify where exactly the leak is coming from. Leaks in the front can run down everything and make it look like it's all leaking from everywhere.

Run it up to the local quarter wash. Spray down everything with a bottle of your favorite degreaser (just don't get caught if the owner of the carwash is up there at the time....don't ask :rolleyes:) and spray down everything underneath. Then blast it all off with the wand, and drive it. Keep checking a couple of times a day after driving to see if you can verify where the leak is coming from.

It's not uncommon for the transfer cases to leak from time to time (the input and output seals...but it's usually the output).

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Dont get too mad and think all Jeeps are like this, you just have a couple of small problems to deal with and hopefully you got it from a good dealer there in Columbus. Mine has over 96000 and not one problem so they are good vehicles just get yours fixed and it will serve you good!

I am down in Columbus all the time either passing through or to meetings down town, may have to look you up someday!

Tom

hbogan

Reaction score
Dont get too mad and think all Jeeps are like this, you just have a couple of small problems to deal with and hopefully you got it from a good dealer there in Columbus. Mine has over 96000 and not one problem so they are good vehicles just get yours fixed and it will serve you good!

I am down in Columbus all the time either passing through or to meetings down town, may have to look you up someday!

Tom

nah, I don't think that all Jeeps are like this. A good buddy of mine has an 01 cherokee and he loves his and has had zero problems. As of this evening, they still have my Jeep and said that I would probably have it tomorrow afternoon.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.