Frt. Drive Shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dano4003

Reaction score
??? on the front drive shaft

I am having a lot of problems with a whine under my liberty, first I was told it was the rear pinion gear bearing and the shop referred me to the dealer. The dealer tells me that the boot on the front drive shaft is torn and the drive shaft is bad, and is why I'm getting the whine. The dealer is also telling me that the front drive shaft is not serviceable and has to be completely replaced at a cost of $700.00. So is this front drive shaft rebuild able???

Also...I have removed rear drive shafts before, no problem. How hard is to remove the front drive shaft on a 2004 Liberty???

Thanks

:wtf2:

G36 Shooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The frt. D-shaft is not hard to remove, 6 bolts at the frt. and 6 bolts at the rear. push the shaft to the frt. push it up and drop it down. after what I have been through with the rebuilds check out CCI Driveline, they do an upgrade that does away with the rubber boot and CV Joint. This will be my next step.

dano4003

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. It came out really nice. Now that it is out I read in these post that I should drive with in 4 wheel HI, is that the case??? Since I thought the t-case was turning weather it was in 2 or 4 wheel drive???

G36 Shooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My frt. D-Shaft saga continues. This is the second time the boot on the rear CV joint has failed! only 2000mi since being replaced, WTF! any help on this? will be at the shop tomorrow to find out what is the problem.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Come on 2000 miles and the boot is torn again?
If so you have some other issues going on for sure.
I've rebuilt 6 or 7 now,including mine, just did one yesterday and none are having issues with theirs.
Does the shop doing it know what they are doing? Are they just using a new boot or replacing the whole " head" ?
The driveshaft does not really move just spins around so there has to be something catching the boot and tearing it I would think

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my cv head last oct, still going strong,

and I even screwed up the install when tyring to put the clamp on the boot I tore the boot a bit, I then just grabed some zipties and put them over the tear at the clamp,

G36 Shooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know they are replacing the whole assy. The shop I am dealing with is sending the shaft out for rebuild. I know that the shaft only spins, no up or down movement, because of the design, frt. diff mntd. on a cradle. That is why I am so mad about this. Any help?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
That is where transfer case skids come in handy....
Wont save your CV boots though if a stick attacks.

G36 Shooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have the T-case skid. Took the KJ to the shop this AM, up on the hoist everything is good, all the mnts. etc. so they removed the shaft and will have it repaired again, will be back there tomorrow. Some how maybe the boot is twisting and causing it to rip?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
No way for the boot to twist really, I mean its under the cap and the front part goes over the shaft, if its twisting then you have bigger issue's such as the driveshaft is worn out/ spinning which I can't see happening at all?
Doesn't make sense if they are using the right boot etc. Where are they getting it from?

G36 Shooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know where they get the parts from, hope to get a good answer tomorrow, will let you know.

G36 Shooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the re-re-re-built frt. d-shaft was put back in today, no one seems to know why the boot is coming apart, will hope three times is a charm. Heading to the UP (Drummond Island) next week will keep an eye on it.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Off topic... make sure you take pictures when you're up at Drummond. That's up there on my to-do list. :)

Good luck with the driveshaft!

G36 Shooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roger that, last time up there was 18yrs. ago and my wife and I backpacked, this time pop-up camper and a KJ.

G36 Shooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well for the fourth time in 10,000 miles the rear boot on the frt. drive-shaft has failed! WTF! I am looking for answers to this problem. Any help, please.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd go somewhere else or do it my self, heck its only a 30 minute job at most. I've never seen any go though them like you are there is either a problem with the driveshaft, the parts they are using or the nut behind the wheel

G36 Shooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After all that I have been through with this D-shaft I should have done it myself, then I would only have myself to blame. As far as a problem with the D-shaft if it is out of balance would this cause a problem with the boot? I don't feel any vibration when driving. On Mon. I will be speaking with the shop that has been doing the rebuild.

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
still on my original repair done last Oct, from the kit, no problems

how often do you use 4x4?

not that it should cause it to break that soon and so many times