Front top plates and JBA Y-link extension install ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geof3

Reaction score
I've done the "basic" OME lift shocks and springs. I did not install the front upper strut spacer however. I wound up with a 2.5" lift total with the front having the same basic chassis attitude as stock (lower nose). Doing this resulted in my pinion/T-case output shaft angle to be out of whack. The rear pinion is about 4 deg out, upward. I am considering installing the front plates, with the thought that perhaps this could correct for the angle offset a bit. Or, alternatively, install the JBA Y-Link extension as is allows for a bit of adjustment of the pinion. This all came about because of some funky vibes about 75mph. Also found out my T-case was shot and installed a new one (my diff guy did anyway) Thoughts?

Another thought entirely is going big and doing the bolt on 4 link...???

Also, is it necessary to pull apart the entire front end (like doing the new springs/shocks) to install the upper plates? Or, is there a quick "easy" way to get those plates installed?

Last edited:

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Top plate won't change the pinion angle. Only thing that charges the pinion angle is changing by adding or taking away height from the rear. Now the tri link extension from JBA is what you need to get the pinion angle back.it will alow for the top of the rear to tilt forward to it pre lifted angle.
Yes you have to pull the front shocks to get the top plates on. Know way around it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised the pinion angle is that far out of whack with just the spring lift - your KJ is only about 1 inch higher than factory with the new springs so it shouldn't be that far out. The vibrations you're feeling could be coming from the u-joints - the new angle may be just enough to expose the u-joints wear.

The 4-bolt will give you more adjustability than the link extension and gets rid of the tri-link issues with worn bushings and the center ball joint. It's a lot more money than the extension but you have a lot of options in the future should you want to go higher with your lift.

As rjkj said above the entire shock/spring tower has to come out to install the top plate.

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've done the "basic" OME lift shocks and springs. I did not install the front upper strut spacer however. I wound up with a 2.5" lift total with the front having the same basic chassis attitude as stock (lower nose). Doing this resulted in my pinion/T-case output shaft angle to be out of whack. The rear pinion is about 4 deg out, upward. I am considering installing the front plates, with the thought that perhaps this could correct for the angle offset a bit. Or, alternatively, install the JBA Y-Link extension as is allows for a bit of adjustment of the pinion. This all came about because of some funky vibes about 75mph. Also found out my T-case was shot and installed a new one (my diff guy did anyway) Thoughts?

Another thought entirely is going big and doing the bolt on 4 link...???

Also, is it necessary to pull apart the entire front end (like doing the new springs/shocks) to install the upper plates? Or, is there a quick "easy" way to get those plates installed?

Have to pull out the whole assembly to install the top plates
The vibes could be from even worn u-joints that are now at a different angle
But either the extension or the 4 link work great , have ran both setups

Geof3

Reaction score
The u-joints were done about 500 miles or so ago... Initially, that is what I thought might be the problem. Had the shaft balanced as well. The output shaft on my T-case could literally be moved up and down, and replacing that certainly made a difference. I'm more concerned with long term wear. My diff is in good shape and the tolerances are good as well, so as of now, no issues there. But with that much offset it seems it could wear stuff out pretty quickly.

I will try to take a picture of the upper link. It is obvious, based on the angle of the ball joint, that it is pretty stressed. Is it possible it is binding somehow? The truck has 120k wouldn't surprise me at all if the thing is shot.

I haven't realigned it yet after the initial lift alignment, could that make a difference?

Regarding the front plate, I wasn't very clear on my question. Is it possibly to drop the front shock enough without having to break the upper ball joint etc. Can the upper mount be exposed enough if the sway bar is disconnected to wiggle the plate on? Or, does the lower clevis pin need to be pulled as well? I should have just done it the first time, but was worried about the potential upper control arm issue.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The u-joints were done about 500 miles or so ago... Initially, that is what I thought might be the problem. Had the shaft balanced as well. The output shaft on my T-case could literally be moved up and down, and replacing that certainly made a difference. I'm more concerned with long term wear. My diff is in good shape and the tolerances are good as well, so as of now, no issues there. But with that much offset it seems it could wear stuff out pretty quickly.

I will try to take a picture of the upper link. It is obvious, based on the angle of the ball joint, that it is pretty stressed. Is it possible it is binding somehow? The truck has 120k wouldn't surprise me at all if the thing is shot.

I haven't realigned it yet after the initial lift alignment, could that make a difference?

Regarding the front plate, I wasn't very clear on my question. Is it possibly to drop the front shock enough without having to break the upper ball joint etc. Can the upper mount be exposed enough if the sway bar is disconnected to wiggle the plate on? Or, does the lower clevis pin need to be pulled as well? I should have just done it the first time, but was worried about the potential upper control arm issue.

Don't think there is enough room to drop it enough to install top plate, just pop the clivis bolt out and slide it down some may be enough room. Never installed just a plain lift so not 100% sure.
As far as the pinion angle with only 2.5 inches of lift certainly not enough that should cause any issues at all. I've ran a lot more lift than that and installed a lot with more lift and no issues .