Front Shock question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got myself a BDS lift NIB for a good price, but now need to get some front shocks.
So far I have seen options including:
OME NS131, at about $150 a piece
Bilstein BIL24-139168 about $95 a piece
Rancho RS5000 series, about $85 a piece

I was leaning towards the Bilsteins, any reason not to?
All front shocks show they are for a stock height, is there a reason why?
If they actually are the same height could I just use KYB, Monroe or basis replacements?
I'm young and don't need a perfectly smooth ride, but don't want to put something in that won't last.

Realistically the Jeep will be mostly on the road as my DD since I have a toy built XJ, but with 90k on the stock suspension its about time for a change, and when I found the BDS kit for cheap I figured why not lift it when replacing components.

And lastly when it comes to aligning the KJ, most shops want to align lifted Jeeps to factory specs, will this work with the KJ? Or should I pay the extra to take it the local 4WP, or even the Dealership who might know how to do it correctly.

Thanks!

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All front shocks for the KJ - lifted or not - will be the same length. But that DOESN'T mean you should use Monroes, KYB's, etc. Those just don't have the quality you're looking for - maybe not even as good as the factory units.

I have Bilsteins on mine and really like them. Good overall for off-roading and for use on the highway. Some like the Ranchos though the preferred Rancho shock is no longer made.

Replace the shocks with high quality aftermarket units - you'll be glad you did.

Bob