Front Passenger wheel dragging in 4HI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Dragging or Binding? What kind of surface are you turning on?

Any surface that won't let the inner wheel slip (it has a shorter distance to travel) and it's going to bind.

quietjet

Reaction score
OK. I've never noticed it before. The surface was asphalt. The inner tire left a "skid mark" and the steering was heavy. I thought the front differential would have compensated for the different wheel speeds.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. I've never noticed it before. The surface was asphalt. The inner tire left a "skid mark" and the steering was heavy. I thought the front differential would have compensated for the different wheel speeds.
Nope since the front diff is being turned faster then the rear diff due to the gearing difference between the front and rear diffs.

When in part time 4wd(and 4 low) the front and rear drive shafts are locked and spinning the same speed no matter what.Being the KJ uses a D30a front diff and a 8.25 rear diff the gearing can not be exactly the same so the front will spin 1%-5% faster then the rear and that is to much for the open diff to compensate for while turning or even going straight.Why it's called "part time".Full time 4wd,if you have the select trac t-case,has a open diff in the t-case allowing the front and rear driveshafts to spin and different speeds so you don't get that binding on high traction surfaces like dry/wet pavement.

Latest posts

Members online