Front driveshaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83themule

Reaction score
Should I be able to turn my front driveshaft when in 2wd? Should I be able to turn my front driveshaft when I have my transfer case in neutral? Thank you!

83themule

Reaction score
Not if the front tires are on the ground. With the front wheels off the ground, you should be able to.
Thank you! for the response. I am new to the liberty model I have a rumbling, kind of clunking noise from the front-end and my friend was thinking the front axle was still locked because, the driveshaft would not turn in 2wd or in neutral with wheels on the ground. I was beginning to think I had a xfer case problem. How do I check to see if it is an axle or cv joint problem? Thank you! For your time

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Start by checking the rear CV on the front driveshaft
More than likely the rear boot on the CV has gone mossing ( worn out ) and let dirt etc in the CV and its went bad
Easy to replace and costs less than 40 bucks if you do it yourself

Libertys do not have locking front hubs so of course everything turns all the time even when not in 4 Wheel Drive

Start by checking that , and then you can go from there
You can remove the front driveshaft and run without it to check if that may be it

83themule

Reaction score
Start by checking the rear CV on the front driveshaft
More than likely the rear boot on the CV has gone mossing ( worn out ) and let dirt etc in the CV and its went bad
Easy to replace and costs less than 40 bucks if you do it yourself

Libertys do not have locking front hubs so of course everything turns all the time even when not in 4 Wheel Drive

Start by checking that , and then you can go from there
You can remove the front driveshaft and run without it to check if that may be it
Thank you! I will check it out tomorrow.

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You only need to jack up the drivers side front wheel to be able to turn the prop shaft. You can then shift in and out of 4 high to stop the shaft from turning as you remove bolts. Most the videos online say its held in by 8 mm, but I started to strip a bolt with 8 mm and got better fit from my craftsman 5/16