Front driveshaft ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ken270741

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Should there be any forward and backward movement in the front driveshaft?
I have about a 1/16" or so play......trying to narrow down a noise. So far boots on the shaft look good with no grease thrown out yet.

Thanks
Ken

Daveos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think 1/16th an inch is minimal and wouldn't cause problems. If you are hearing noises from the front end, I would check the CV axels, hubs, ball joints for play, intermediate shaft for play. These are the most common culprits I have seen.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, fore and aft movement on the front driveshaft is OK. The front CV actually compresses so the shaft can be removed.

As Daveos listed, there are several other likely sources of the noise. My guess would be the intermediate shaft...

Bob

Daveos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The intermediate shaft comes out of the axle, and the CV shaft slides onto it. You could try and grab cv shaft where it slides onto the intermediate shaft and wiggle it in a circular motion. It should move a bit, back and forth, but not much up and down.

It is not very accurate. The best way is to remove the strut and CV shaft and inspect it by pulling it out and looking at how warn it is.

The intermediate shafts wear down where the CV shaft slides on, and where they ride on the axle bearing where it comes out of the axle.

Last edited: