Front Brake Pads / Rotors Question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to go ask what brand mine are because I honestly don't remember. It's been a couple years since I replaced them. But they don't dust at all.

jake1234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the adaptive one pads on the front and they were great. Def recommend then. Hardly any dust, stopped well. I had to replace them after the guide pin seized and they got very irregular wear, but other then that I could of gotten another 10,000 miles out of them.

I got stuck with semi metallic ones for the back, they didn't last as long, and scored the hell out of the rotors. Also, check your parking brake shoes mine were completely gone.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Going to Say Good Bye to Organic Brake Pads & Install OEM Ceramic Pad Up Front Monday.
48956[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

The backing plate has a bunch of #s on it none of which coincide with actual Part # strange..

Attachments

• JeepOEMCeramicBrakePads.jpg
    JeepOEMCeramicBrakePads.jpg
    814.6 KB · Views: 0

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Could very well be Jayme...
Here are the old Value line Organic pads...notice the difference from above ceramics...
48988[/ATTACH]"]

Here are New OEM Ceramics installed...35 miles to bed them in...much better x 5.
48990[/ATTACH]"]

And for those that might ask what are those blue things...SpiderTrax Wheel Spacers !

Attachments

• JeepFrontOrganicBrakePads.jpg
    JeepFrontOrganicBrakePads.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 0
  • JeepNewCeramicFrontPadsInstalled.jpg
    JeepNewCeramicFrontPadsInstalled.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 0

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NAPA shows that the OEM front pads are semi-metallic, so I went with their best (UP) semi-metallic pads. I've been very happy with them.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this thread is timely as the brakes on the jeep have not been inspiring confidence.

I'm thinking the black magic full kit, since I periodically tow heavy things with the jeep.
good call?

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this thread is timely as the brakes on the jeep have not been inspiring confidence.

I'm thinking the black magic full kit, since I periodically tow heavy things with the jeep.
good call?

I just did the full Black Magic setup a month ago. Is it better , I'm seriously not sure. I had Hawk on the front, replaced about 4 years and they had done fine, they did put down an annoying reddish brown brake dust. The rears were some crap Autozone that they put on when I bought it used. Not much wear , but they did little also.

So far - it seems that the BM do a little better at initial stopping. If you have the $$$ do it - I'm just not sure it warrants the premium price. It's probably 100-150 over what I'd do anyway and that was really no issue.

I also replaced all the calipers and even the master cyl so I don't have anything to worry about in the future.

I still want to bleed it some more as I don't feel it's as hard as possible - yet.

BM do seem to have a LOT of black dust. I have graphite colored wheels so it's hard to see.

The BM seem designed to do better cold , initial , grip. I have no idea yet how they might do in long , hard mountains. My crap Autozones would fade and fade bad. That's why I went to Hawk. They did great hot, but probably less cold grip than stock.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm a little low on dough and need brakes. Would the NAPA Premium Rotors suffice or are the Ultra Premiums the only ones worth getting?

Same question applies to pads, I suppose.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
So many options. I know many will still recommend Napa ultra premium..
Based on the success on my full size sedan, I think I will use Pro Grade RayBestos Ceramic pads & rotors next time on the jeep. I like to try different things.
Right now I have OEM rotors & just updated to Jeep OEM ceramic pads, which by the way are working well and low dust so far.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm looks like NAPA doesn't offer the Premium/Ultra Premium rears in semi-metallic.

Last edited:

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm looks like NAPA doesn't over the Premium/Ultra Premium rears in semi-metallic.

i think the best you can get for the rears through napa are the adaptive one pads (its been a while since i did my breaks so i may be wrong)

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm a little low on dough and need brakes. Would the NAPA Premium Rotors suffice or are the Ultra Premiums the only ones worth getting?

Same question applies to pads, I suppose.

In your situation, I'd buy the premium (not ultra) rotors and then get the best pads I could afford.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
You're all modified up front right?

I wish I could run Ford rotors on my KJ. My 98 Ranger has 145k on the originals and still going strong. Akebono pads for the past 80k on the Ranger.

BTW Raybestos pads (high end) on the KJ right now with NAPA (ultra premium I think) rotors. Works well but still sqeals.

Definitely did the ultras all around on my Avenger. The stock ones didn't last long. I drive that one like I stole it. Autostick is fun.

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the KJ prices but the difference was less then $5 for my Town Car and $10 difference for the Ford rotors I use on the front of my KJ.

It's like $20 a rotor for the KJ. :thumbsdown: :blah: The pads shouldn't be so bad though...