Front Brake Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to hear what sounds like metal-on-metal on my left front wheel and I'm going to take it apart tomorrow to check the pads.

In case I need new pads what do you recommend? I have an Auto Zone right near me.

I've searched the site and don't want the asbestos ones but don't know if I need ceramic.

Thanks...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to hear what sounds like metal-on-metal on my left front wheel and I'm going to take it apart tomorrow to check the pads.

In case I need new pads what do you recommend? I have an Auto Zone right near me.

I've searched the site and don't want the asbestos ones but don't know if I need ceramic.

Thanks...
If your metal on metal you will need both new front rotors and pads.If both sides are metal on metal or one side is and the other is within 1/16" from being metal on metal it would be a very good idea to get new caliphers also since the calipher piston seal has been stretched beyond it's max and could be damaged when the piston is pushed back into the bore.

The OEM pads are ceramic pads,asbestos brakes have been banned for like 20-30 years now.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

I thought there were metal pieces on the pads to let you know they were going out? Maybe I'm dating myself on that one. I felt the rotor (on the left side) and it didn't feel grooved or bad in any way.

Also, it's not a constant sound and it's not a pulsing as in warped rotor. Just something I can hear every now and then.

OK, calipers and pads. I'll have to look at the service manual for the calipers but the pads seems easy enough.

Thanks again...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive heard napa has good pads(ceramic) and rotors.

Wait to check the boots on the calipers before you spring for those.

Latest posts

Members online