Frankenlift or OME 927/Bilsteins?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, still trying to decide how to lift my 2007 KJ. Have read every one of the suspension posts and stickies and I come down to two choices: Frankenlift or OME/Bilsteins. The Frankenlift has the spacers and plates so it's going to give more lift, but I'm a little concerned about stress on the CV's. OME/Bilsteins - less lift, no spacers, less stress on driveline, but I know I'm going to chasing down parts (bumpstops, brake line relocator) for it at installation time. I'm looking for long term reliability with a minimum of complications, both for installation and subsequent use. Many thanks for your comments and suggestions.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
If you think you will be looking for the bumpstops,line relocaters get them before hand,if you read everything you know who to contact.

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, still trying to decide how to lift my 2007 KJ. Have read every one of the suspension posts and stickies and I come down to two choices: Frankenlift or OME/Bilsteins. The Frankenlift has the spacers and plates so it's going to give more lift, but I'm a little concerned about stress on the CV's. OME/Bilsteins - less lift, no spacers, less stress on driveline, but I know I'm going to chasing down parts (bumpstops, brake line relocator) for it at installation time. I'm looking for long term reliability with a minimum of complications, both for installation and subsequent use. Many thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Unless you want to make your own extensions. front left:
You must be registered for see images attach

back left:
You must be registered for see images attach

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need lift with minimum side efffects, maintain stock steering geometry

I'm probably going to go with the 927 coils/OME shocks. I'm looking for the lift with a minimum of side effects - maintain steering geometry, directional stability, alignment, CV joints, etc. Now, two more questions - do I need a bracket to relocate the rear brake line or do I need a new longer brakeline? Second question - with this moderate lift, can I continue to use the the stock control arms or should I go Jeepin' by Al control arms?

I had debated which tire size - 255/70 x 16 or 245/75 x 16, but I will probably go with the latter as the chances for rubbing will be less with the narrower tire.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You just need to extend the brake line bracket. No need for a longer brake line.

Stock control arms will work fine. JBA's are an upgrade, but not required.

frankinliftliberty

Reaction score
go with the franken, thats what I got and Ive had it on my liberty for 3 years and no problems with CV's, the only problem I have is my front tires rubbing on my arms

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still trying to decide!

First, much to my surprise, found a Tip-O-Tex Offroad, just a few miles from my home. He mainly works on Wranglers and large pickups from Mexico, but is willing to do the Liberty. He has modified some Xterra's, but very few Liberty's. First thing he said to me was to get the JBA UCA when I described them.

So I'm still trying to decide Frankenlift or OME coils with Bilstein shocks. I like the Frankenlift because it has most of the components. The plus on the OME without the spacers is that I chose the shock which will be Bilstein, and maybe a little less stress on the CV joints.

Need to decide quickly. Anyone with experience with both set ups?

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mr. Natural says......

Mr. Natural [underground comic guru from the 1960'] says..."Use the right tool for the right job."

In this case it means I go with the Frankenlift. A little more lift and assembled struts. Just wish they still used Rancho shocks! End of my incessant questions - you'll here from me next after it is installed.

Gene, in South Texas

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
either one works well
had ome coils/ rancho shocks for 100,000 miles
now have a very modified Frankenlift and still good