Fram Filters, junk???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over the years I've heard a lot of people say they hate Fram oil filters. I've heard horror stories about them, but I've never had one single problem with them.

I often wonder if this is a case of people being sheep. Somone heard someone say they didn't like them, so naturally, they don't like them.

My uncle said Mobile used to be one of the worst oils you could run years ago. It was plagued by sludging problems. It's no longer the case though.

Has anyone encountered any problems with Fram filters, or seen any first hand?

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the rubberized grip on one of them just disintegrate. I run the Motorcraft filter because it is the same filter as my Escape and when I compared the internal to the FRAM it looked quite a bit more durable.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I ran a Fram filter for about 6300 miles on my KJ, didn't have any problems with it, but that's it... never ran them other than that, after I read the horror stories about them. It was a Tough Guard, the one with the rubber on the bottom. IF there were any issues, I didn't notice any.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I too run a Motor Craft filter in the KJ. Next time I will run a Purealator 1....as it filters 99%. Fram Tough guard is 95%.

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually run the NAPA Gold filters, but am running a Tough Guard right now because of a special Autozone was having. I'm not losing sleep over it, but I plan to switch back to NAPA Gold once I use these two filters up...

Personally never had problems with them and I did use them religiously with my Talon (before hearing about their reputation).

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had them orange filters on mine twice, never had any issues, in fact they were in much better condition than others that I replaced.

karter

Reaction score
The Autozones of the world give them away for a reason ,their cheap . I race Spec Miata class and many racers have had problems with cheaper oil filters ,from case ballooning (swelling ) to the filter media inside disintigrating . Use a quality filter ,Wix (Napa Gold) and give yourself some peace of mind . The average consumer doesn't know and doesn't care but anyone on these auto forums expects a little more from their vehicles .

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have run Fram filters since i bought my first used pickup, so a VERY long time now... Never had one problem, no failures, nothing...

I have about 20 years of Fram filter use on my vehicles, and my dad has been using them for that amount of time as well. I think some just like to bad mouth one product or another, thats fine, let them do it. But i can buy Fram right here in town, if i want anything else i have to drive 25 miles, so i will stick with what i got. I also use Castrol GTX for oil and some online don't like that either, i prefer it, i have seen a few times now how much crap it pulls out of an engine with its anti-sludge formula as we have bought different vehicles, the first few oil changes i do the oil is black by 2-3k, after those first few changes the oil looks clean when i change it, makes a guy think you could leave it in longer, but i like regular oil changes.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Oil Filters

I read a comparison test of 10 brand filters, in conclusion it was stated that the best filters were: Purolator and Mobil 1 (made by same company) and K&N. not sure where link is, posted it a while ago.
I use the K&N because it has the 1 inch nut on the bottom and makes it real easy to remove.
Just curious if anyone knows what the oil pressure actually is at the filter? I would only want a quality casing, who needs a blow out and loss of oil, Fram..I think not.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a newer oil filter study that I found on the net then the mini mopar filter study:

Oil Filters - Dissected

I was wondering what the differences were between some of the current oil filters. The study done at Engine Oil Filter Study is quite dated. So, I bought some oil filters from the local stores, grabbed my hacksaw and away I went. All filters had an anti-back flow gasket.

You must be registered for see images attach

Findings:

The basic Fram is still crap. Fewest pleats and therefore least amount of filter area. Cardboard end-caps.

The TG Fram is better. Still has cardboard end-caps but has 15% more filter media and a screened by-pass valve.

The XG Fram is, can't believe I'm saying this, a decent filter. This is the only filter tested that used a different type of filter media. It was more fiberglass in nature vs. paperish for all the rest and is supported with a metal mesh. So even though it has less area, it is 2-3 times as thick.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
STP and SuperTech are the exact same filter. Decent filter area but cheaply made and the felt end caps detached from the filter media with frightening ease. No by-pass valve.

Mopar and Purolator PremiumPlus are the exact same filter. Plenty of filter media with metal end caps which are impossible to remove from the filter media as seen by the dead Mopar filter.

Purolator PureOne and Bosch are the exact same filter. Largest amount of filter media with metal end caps which are also impossible to remove from the filter media.

All four of the latter are made by the same manufacture with the only difference between the two sets is the Mopar/Purolator PremiumPlus has the by-pass valve in the front, built into the stem..

...and the Bosch/Purolator PureOne has the by-pass valve located in the back via a 45-speed record adapter spring thingy along with 4 more pleats of filter media. Also, the PureOne has the best paint job. A nice royal blue w/ pearl coat
You must be registered for see images
(Now has a nice Yellow coat of sandy grip paint)

The Wix and NAPA Gold are the same filter but the NAPA Gold had 4 more pleats (61 vs 57) than the Wix. Was this by design or was it a machine assembly variance, probably the latter since everything else was exactly the same. The filters were similar to the Mopar and the Purolator PremiumPlus but made by someone else. They had a similar stem based by-base which was not attached to the filter media but loosely sits in the end-cap without a gasket. The Wix and NAPA Gold also had the second least amount of filter media. They had metal end-caps with the filter media permanently attached.

The Mobil 1 and the K&N are exactly the same filter less the 1" bung thingy on the K&N. Both are heavy due to their thick bases and smaller inlet holes. They too had the stem based by-pass valve firmly attached to the end-cap but only had 55 pleats, the second fewest. It did have the deepest pleats which equals fifth in area and the filter media was slightly thicker than most. Had metal end-caps with the filter media permanently attached.

Here the #'s (sorted by price):

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, and as soon as someone pays me to use their filter i will switch from my Fram that i have been using for nearly 20 years.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also find it interesting that over on the PT forums i visit there was a similar argument, Mopar or Fram filter... Umm yeah, one guy thats on there actually works for a dealer, and i know him personally, and posts up "you guys do know that Fram makes the filters for Mopar now right?" That shut them all up..

He has actually asked corporate and was told that Fram is producing their filters, just get a different paint job and twice the price.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Certainly some interesting feedback and some interesting information. Thanks people.

Just out of curiosity, has anybody done a poll on this to see what the perfered filter is?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also find it interesting that over on the PT forums i visit there was a similar argument, Mopar or Fram filter... Umm yeah, one guy thats on there actually works for a dealer, and i know him personally, and posts up "you guys do know that Fram makes the filters for Mopar now right?" That shut them all up..

He has actually asked corporate and was told that Fram is producing their filters, just get a different paint job and twice the price.
To bad that is not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.