Forgive me Jeep for I Have Sinned...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, the gas prices have been killing me lately, to the point where my Frankenlift plans have been put on hold (minimum wage H.S. student job isn't exactly a lucrative career). Anyway, I have been bad mouthing the gas mileage and actually was looking at vehicles that got better gas mileage. However, I realized that the Jeep is worth the extra money and now feel like i have cheated the Jeep almost to where I am beyond redemption. Anyone else have this lately? I'm gonna have to do a few small mods to apologise I think. nervous.gif

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I felt couple of times 14mpg wasn't gonna cut it.. Well, hell with it, I am not getting anything tank lookingly huge such as ford or cadillac, or I am not going down to a CRV or Rav4 to get better mileage, so Stick to the Jeep.
Repeat to yourself, I shall not betray my jeep, she is an expensive treat, and I love it..

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why people complain so much about gas. Any of you who do your research, and feel free to back me up, know that in proportion to the rate of inflation; gasoline is still incredibly affordable. A middle-low class family can easily afford to pay for gas in a semi-efficient vehicle.

If you drive so much that you need a more efficient vehicle, than you need a more efficient vehicle; case and point.
That doesn't mean you shouldn't drive a Liberty; but it does mean you shouldn't take it on your bi-weekly trip from California to Maryland. drive.gif

Jeeps are a priviledge, not a right. We all work hard for them.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Yeah it hurts, but then I stop and think about all the fun im having with it, and how damn capeable the thing is. Then I start to smile again and life is good. And yeah prices are high, but we gotta start paying sometime. Things could be ALOT worse....think of how much a gallon of gasoline goes for in Europe. We can afford to pay the price here, we just don't want to pay the price.

Besides, its not like we're driving big guzzling Suburbanators or Excusrionators...or god forbid an H2.

Whether it be $2.50 or $5 a gallon, im keepin my Jeep.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
I don't understand why people complain so much about gas. Any of you who do your research, and feel free to back me up, know that in proportion to the rate of inflation; gasoline is still incredibly affordable. A middle-low class family can easily afford to pay for gas in a semi-efficient vehicle.

If you drive so much that you need a more efficient vehicle, than you need a more efficient vehicle; case and point.
That doesn't mean you shouldn't drive a Liberty; but it does mean you shouldn't take it on your bi-weekly trip from California to Maryland. drive.gif

You're completely right. It's hard to think of gas as cheap, but when compared to other areas of the globe, I guess we really do have it pretty good. What it all comes down to is being thankful for what you have and recognizing that there is no perfect vehicle that's gonna do everything while getting 30 mpg.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
damn CRD owners...LoL

we got the jeep knowing full well it's not gonna be economical..so we knew from the get go, that it's gonna be a steep price to pay at the pump.
having said that, driving the KJ is just like none other. maybe i'm biased towards it or what not, but having that and the blazer, i'd rather be in the jeep. I am kinda glad that gas is going up, now we'll see less of these monstrous SUV's roaming around. I see less H2's and suburbans this year than last year. still a lot on the road, but it's not as much as I can remember.

it's a blessing in disguise in a sense.

I'm glad I live in NYC, having a good public transport eliminates the jeep as a DD.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I consider that my KJ gets an avg. 22 on the freeway at speed compared to the 24 I got in my '98 dakota with a 4-******, I'm not really put out about it. I have altered my habits a bit, like riding the bus to work a couple of times a week, but that makes sense since the company pays for the bus pass \:D/ And it gives me more money to throw in gas for wheelin'!

richardkf

Reaction score
How would you like it if your power bill were to double in one years time, like in California when Enron was scamming the stock market and it's consumers? How would you like it if something so simple as your basic cable television bill were to triple in six months?

Gas is not affordable for middle or low income families.

I agree with you when you imply that people don't need to be driving around in ridiculously oversized SUV's vs. the Liberty or Escape (smaller ones). But here is a better case IN (not and) point - My other vehicle is a very fuel efficient car that I drive to and from work (about 275 miles a week round trip) and it STILL costs $40.00 to fill it up every 7 or 8 days.

While oil companies conitinue to report record profits and the price of gas STILL continues to rise, it is not affordable. It comes back to all of us ten-fold in the form of higher prices at the pumps, our airline tickets, cost of produce (remember the farmers?), cab fares in urban cities, home heating and subtle increases in local fuel taxes we pay to our states that is factored into the cost of each gallon of gas we pump.

It is not affordable. It is in DESPERATE need of government attention and regulation because it is an essential staple of day-to-day life in America (in Europe too, for that matter, where it is even lesss affordable).

Sorry, but comparing our high gas prices to higher gas prices doesn't equal affordable. It means a smaller rip-off compared to a bigger rip-off is still a rip-off.

jfortier777 said:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but comparing our high gas prices to higher gas prices doesn't equal affordable. It means a smaller rip-off compared to a bigger rip-off is still a rip-off.

I must agree with richard on the last part of his comment. We are just comparing our gas prices to Europe to just make ourselves feel better, not a thing more!

think of how much a gallon of gasoline goes for in Europe

And think of the cars they are driving. Unless you are upper class or high income society kind, there is no way you can afford a jeep or any american-made or german-fast-car types for that matter. These people are driving in 4 cylinder 92 hp vehicles. Most of the rest is diesel or hybrid, better yet some of them strap a LPG tank and drive around in a pressure built ticking bomb, god forbid if they get rear-ended by a semi.

No matter what people say there is already enough petrol in the world, when it really starts running out, there are reserves, and when that strats draining there are alternatives which we should start thinking about. Some one caughs and gas price is up... some sneezes and it is down. :-({|=

SavageSS27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess i can agree with that^^^ although the gas prices in Europe are insane, i think you guys kinda missed the fact that in countries like Venezuela gas is incredibly cheap. Like $0.12 a gallon cheap, now what does that say about markup, taxes and price gouging? here's a link to some global gas prices...

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/global_gasprices/

Now, yes, we are towards the bottom of that list, and gas prices could be MUCH higher, but i think this little chart shows that there is a major issue with how gas is priced, distributed and taxed throughout the world. If i could get gas for $0.12/gallon, i'd be happy as a clam. But for right now i'm just gonna have to deal with it. It's the price you pay for Liberty (pun intended).

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
richardkf said:
How would you like it if your power bill were to double in one years time
I would use more power efficient devices in my home and take steps toward its conservation.

richardkf said:
How would you like it if something so simple as your basic cable television bill were to triple in six months?
If its out of your budget than get rid of it or sacrifice something else.

richardkf said:
Gas is not affordable for middle or low income families.
I hate to be so blunt about this; but yes, it is.

richardkf said:

Those are strong words with little behind them to back them up.
It is only natural that a growing market will show increasing profits. If you feel cheated by them profiting than just go buy stock in the oil company of your choice.

Americans are cursed with the flaw of mixing their desires into the equation for computing affordability. I do not claim to be innocent of this flaw but I recognize it and budget accordingly.

The only reason people are angry about paying more money for gas is because it makes it more difficult for them to buy things they want, and don't need.

Gas is not expensive, nor does it put half as much pressure on individual budgets as said individuals will claim.

Thats my 2 cents, and I don't care if I cant buy a gallon of gas with it.[/quote]

Gopherbeats

Reaction score
good stuff

The way I see it, I like driving. I could buy a putt putt mobile (a kia for example) so yea I saved a couple g's.. now what if i got in a accident.. ouch.. broken every thing.. or perhaps death, which in that case I could not even enjoy the few grand I saved in purchasing the cheaper vehicle.

Everything in life has a trade off.

I like being able to drive over everything, I like being able to haul stuff, I love rocken out driving down the highway at 70
life is good

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like driving... I like driving my Jeep.

This weekend I had a loaner car from the dealer, '06, 5k Grand Cherokee. I couldn't wait to get my KJ back.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
I must agree with richard on the last part of his comment. We are just comparing our gas prices to Europe to just make ourselves feel better, not a thing more!

think of how much a gallon of gasoline goes for in Europe

And think of the cars they are driving.

And think of the distances they are driving. The US is VERY spread out compared to europe. There is just no feasible way to have public transportation fit the needs of everyone like it does in europe and places where cities are close like that. You basically need a car to leave the city in the US, train fare is just too expensive and there's no way for them to go everywhere that we need to. Europeans can use smaller cars because they don't use them often and they don't go far. They mostly drive around in the city with them, and for that, they are perfect. Put a smart car on a US highway and see how it does.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i tend to drive my moms corolla alot. To tell ya the truth Im getting ready to drive it on a 1.5hour trip! The libby gets to sit in the yard and wait for me to get back!