Forgive me Jeep for I Have Sinned...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
call soapbox=1; rant mode=ON

Se7enLC said:
There is just no feasible way to have public transportation fit the needs of everyone like it does in europe and places where cities are close like that.
Add to that the fact that Americans tensd to be impatient. I rode the bus to work yesterday, almost an hour to go 12 miles. There are some people I work with that would go crazy having to do that on a regular basis.
jfortier777 said:
The only reason people are angry about paying more money for gas is because it makes it more difficult for them to buy things they want, and don't need.
Agreed. 'Man, I can't buy those cool new LED rims 'cuz my I need money for gas. Wish my car got better mileage when I'm racing down the freeway at 80mph'. Not saying that all young drivers speed; I know there are plenty my age who do it too, and thats another sign of the impatieance in this country. The speed limit could be 90mph and there would still be people who think it's too slow.

Anyway, I'm done for now...

call soapbox=0; rant mode=OFF

richardkf

Reaction score
Your reply is defensive and empty. Sorry to be blunt - but read any newspaper and there is plenty to back up every word I wrote. As for using more "efficient" devices in your home if your power bill went up, or cancelling your cable .... dream on. You'd be on the same bandwagon as the class-action lawsuit against Enron and other power suppliers that Southern California mounted.

I make a pretty good living, but it doenst make me blind to the obvious.

Free Market societies give rise to the absence of larger social and moral responsibilities (like not gouging people on essential items necessary to survive), anybody can see that - unless they listen when their television tells them not to.

jfortier777 said:
richardkf said:
How would you like it if your power bill were to double in one years time
I would use more power efficient devices in my home and take steps toward its conservation.

richardkf said:
How would you like it if something so simple as your basic cable television bill were to triple in six months?
If its out of your budget than get rid of it or sacrifice something else.

richardkf said:
Gas is not affordable for middle or low income families.
I hate to be so blunt about this; but yes, it is.

richardkf said:
Sorry, but comparing our high gas prices to higher gas prices doesn't equal affordable. It means a smaller rip-off compared to a bigger rip-off is still a rip-off.

Those are strong words with little behind them to back them up.
It is only natural that a growing market will show increasing profits. If you feel cheated by them profiting than just go buy stock in the oil company of your choice.

Americans are cursed with the flaw of mixing their desires into the equation for computing affordability. I do not claim to be innocent of this flaw but I recognize it and budget accordingly.

The only reason people are angry about paying more money for gas is because it makes it more difficult for them to buy things they want, and don't need.

Gas is not expensive, nor does it put half as much pressure on individual budgets as said individuals will claim.

Thats my 2 cents, and I don't care if I cant buy a gallon of gas with it.
[/quote]

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
Corwyyn said:
The speed limit could be 90mph and there would still be people who think it's too slow.
You must be registered for see images attach

Been there, done that. It ain't fun.

WTF! Our guages are reversed, I never noticed that.
You must be registered for see images attach

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
yep, they changed it starting 05...
notice the cruise light is in ur odometer area as opposed to a light in the dash...

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
So is mine, Jon. The Liberty's gauge cluster has been changed SEVERAL times over the years. We all compared gauge clusters in some thread a while ago.

The switch-around was one of the first things my sister noticed when she got the keys to her KJ.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not only that, watch the type:
zooming in on my avatar...
You must be registered for see images
(whistle)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting - switched gagues and 2 types a 35 and a 43 - - - i have a 43!!!!!.....................

Anyway since this is a gas thread I'll make a statement. When I got my first car gas was .25 - yes that's twenty - five cents per gallon - and we used to all chip in and get $2.00 worth and drive around all night in a big hunk of Detroit Iron chasing women. Beer on tap was .10 - - and yea we used to catch some women once in a while. And we complained when the price went to .30

Right now gas down the street is 2.79 and at the marina it's 3.95

Yea....I'm an old coot.

dnm45227

Reaction score
I work for a US agency that regulates products that .25 of every dollar in this country is spent on (at leats the last estimate I got). While regulation works in some cases, by and large the free market economy model is the way to go.

If you take the profit motive out of the market, innovation won't happen.

dnm45227

Reaction score
Ya, but he'll be singing another song for years to come. I know that won't put the wrongs right, but why scrap the system because someone abused it?

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't want to get into a long political or philosophical discussion on the subject but regulation does not lead directly to elimination of profit anymore than it does to stifle innovation. In fact there is a lot of data out there that indicates that really large business wants some regulation since it tends to help limit competition in some ways from upstarts. Right now we have rather limited controls on the energy market and there is very little innovation so the whole arguement is pretty much a strawman.

I live in an area where there is is a rich history of REA's Cooperatives and Public Utilities. Each of them is more efficient than the local for profit utility although they had done well enough through the years. In the 90's one of Lay's guys was imported out of Texas by the local "for profit" utility and in about 4 years he pretty near took a stable 100 year plus company under. They kicked him out and have gone back to their roots and will survive now that the Texan is gone.

The bottom line is that when a market is young free enterprise works but as it matures there in growing integration until the industry is controlled by a handful of giants. If upstarts challenge them they get squashed and the consumers get taken............unless there is government oversite.......regulation.

Dave - I got you beat. The best price I ever got on gas was 16.9 cents and I paid $2,000 for my new Maverick. I was making way over minimum wage ($1.25) at $1.65/hour and working 7 days a week at three jobs! I also walked uphill to school both ways in two feet of snow!!! :^o

dnm45227

Reaction score
Agreed on the stay away from politics, and that a mix of both are optimum.

I've got a better one;

My wifes Uncle was going through some of his Mother's (my Wife's Granma's) old papers, and he looks up and says something like "wow $12,000, that must have been an expensive car!". She looks over the papers, starts laughing and says "that wasn't a car, it was the house".

dnm45227

Reaction score
Funny how we only complain when the price goes up on the things we buy, but expect the things we have baught to go up.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was talking to my brother the other day about how his neighbor that he just moved in next to bought his house 30 years ago for $15,000. The value in that area now is probably near 150k easy.

I sure hope for profit like that on a 30 year home loan.

dnm45227

Reaction score
I hope a get that kind of return.

That kind of reminds me of a saying that the former Mayor of Cincinnati (Carles Luken) has said, and a that radio station host plays regularly. May you have the bank account of a Republican and the sex life of a Democrat.

MikeD0106

Full Access Member
Reaction score
desertkj... I think you've been threadjacked.gif

I think what everyone is trying to tell you is that you'll be fine. Now go buy your KJ an air intake *cheap and easy mod compared to the lift* and that will help the healing process. Oh, while installing the cold air intake apologize and carress your KJ until she forgives you. crazy.gif