For anyone who is thinking about RELOCATING THE SPARE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slapakiss

Reaction score
My jeep is looking like yours. I took the spare tire off to bead blast the holder and repaint since it was rusting... What kinda paint did you use for your fender flares?? Or are they rhino'ed?

kylewilley

Reaction score
well, they are rhinoed... kinda! It is almost the same type of material, it is simply "truck bed liner" in a spray can. Much cheaper and maybe not quite as good as rhino but hey it works great for me. It has not chipped and is pretty tough and gritty.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, they are rhinoed... kinda! It is almost the same type of material, it is simply "truck bed liner" in a spray can. Much cheaper and maybe not quite as good as rhino but hey it works great for me. It has not chipped and is pretty tough and gritty.
Just wait,it will shrink and crack in a few weeks in the hot sun.

kylewilley

Reaction score
haha how can you all tell me it will crack when i have had it for almost a year through many many hot sun days. if you do it right, it will not crack!!! I'm sure it is not nearly good as the more expensive stuff but even still it works good and doesn't crack for people like me that simply can not afford anything more expensive!

Last edited:

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have had loads of Land Rovers with the spare on the bonnet. Doesnt cause much problem with view due to the seating position in them (bolt upright!!)(censored). Makes lifting the bonnet a 2 ****** affair tho LR Wheels and crossply mudgrip tyres ain't light.#-o

Anyhoo, have a Cherokee now (Liberty to yoos guys)poke.gif. I wouldn't use up VALUABLE real estate in the back with a spare.poke.gif
As for big wheels and tyres....I dunno. My grandfather used a Jeep in WWII in the Islands(bowdown) and they only had standard tyres and suspension. They got where they needed to go(flagusa). Same with the British in Africa expanding the Empire.(kneel) Bog standard LRs. :eek:

Will be an interesting debate for years I guess untill we are all not allowed to have 4x4s unless we can plug em in!! Yuk!(blarg)

Last edited:

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been considering the same idea because my spare tire gets in the way everytime I go to hookup a trailer to my Libby.

Myself I wouldn't put the spare inside unless I could spare the room. When I'm on the trail it seems I need every spare cubic inch I can find.

And putting it on the hood like a Land Rover won't work because the hood's sheet metal likely would take the weight. Plus there's the visibility issue.

Nobody has mentioned putting their spare on the roof? I know a 33" tire is too heavy to lift up onto the roof but a 31" tire isn't too bad. And really, how often do you expect have to change your tire?

kylewilley

Reaction score
I still have plenty of room in the cargo area, because although it is not in the pictures, I very recently made a shelf that holds my flashlight, hitch+ball, breaker bar with 3/4" socket, jumper cables. There is plenty of room in the middle on the shelf and I still have room on the sides of the spare tire. For me that is plenty of cargo space considering there really is nothing else I would need to put back there anyway. I will post pics whenever I get a chance to take some. :D

sport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:DAww come on!!!
The only thing that gets in the way are people anyway.:D
I'm six foot five... I can see over most things!
All that other stuff is just... Stuff!
J/K

How do you even fit in the Liberty!?