For anyone who is thinking about RELOCATING THE SPARE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I like it on the back....makes it feel like a CJ/YJ/TJ/JK....

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I finished relocating my spare and personally I really don't know why Jeep ever thought it was a good idea to mount it how they did but I guess it just gives people like me something to work on :p . Anyway I am really happy with what I did and I figured I would post up some pictures so anybody that is thinking about doing it could look at the pictures and that would help their decision. Here they are:

So, what exactly possessed you to obliterate the already woefully small cargo area of the jeep by removing the very conveniently located spare on the tailgate?

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got my 245/75/16 MT load E today and the idea of relocating the spare to the roof is out of the question that thing weights a ton, couldn't wait for the lift so I went ahead and mounted the spare, it almost didn't fit in the molding or the rear bumper and I defenetly can't open my glass window :( n but it looks awesome :)

Go to home depot and get about 40 flat washers
use them to space the bracket out off of the tail gate
That is what I did and every thing works fine

kylewilley

Reaction score
Yeah but this IS NOT a CJ/YJ/TJ/JK. I don't think the KJ was ever really even intended to go offroad but we all are doing it anyway. I personally like it much better the way I have it, but thats why it is MY JEEP. How boring would it be if everyone relocated the tire the way I did or if everyone kept it the stock way. Thats what makes this stuff so fun because everyone is trying different set ups. I just made this post so for anyone that was thinking about it could see the potential of it, so they could say "hey man I like that way better than the stock set up" or they could say "that looks stupid as I don't know what, I'm keeping it on the back!!!". Personally I love it the way I made it and I like it twice as much considering I do all the work. Just have fun guys :p

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
two topic should be merged, there are 2 of them out there.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to home depot and get about 40 flat washers
use them to space the bracket out off of the tail gate
That is what I did and every thing works fine

Cool ill do that man :) I kind of like to open the window only and is kind of unknowing to close the window and the gate at the same time.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah but this IS NOT a CJ/YJ/TJ/JK. I don't think the KJ was ever really even intended to go offroad but we all are doing it anyway. I personally like it much better the way I have it, but thats why it is MY JEEP. How boring would it be if everyone relocated the tire the way I did or if everyone kept it the stock way. Thats what makes this stuff so fun because everyone is trying different set ups. I just made this post so for anyone that was thinking about it could see the potential of it, so they could say "hey man I like that way better than the stock set up" or they could say "that looks stupid as I don't know what, I'm keeping it on the back!!!". Personally I love it the way I made it and I like it twice as much considering I do all the work. Just have fun guys :p

Sorry if I made it seem as that this was a CJ/YJ/TJ/JK thread....

I know that for some that mounting the spare inside is what makes them happy, so do it.

Do whatever mods make you most happy with your KJ. For me personally, I prefer it outside, but maybe the next guy doesn't and I wouldn't get in their way of doing it.

And your KJ looks great, kylewilley.....

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah but this IS NOT a CJ/YJ/TJ/JK. I don't think the KJ was ever really even intended to go offroad but we all are doing it anyway.
Guess you didn't know that the KJ was the last Jeep that actually earned the Jeep name the right way by successfully completing the Rubicon trail in stock form,granted you couldn't open any of the doors but it still ran and no broken suspension parts,and the D44 that was in it did not make the final cut to production but the front D30A did.

kylewilley

Reaction score
haha sorry didn't mean to sound so mean there, wasn't trying to... and so what if I am a "newb", gotta start somewhere right?? :D. But thanks on the compliments on the jeep. I am working on it a little bit all the time with a tight budget. I am really looking foward to widening it out and getting my mud tires back on when I'm done with school and don't have to travel so much.

kylewilley

Reaction score
haha I don't even wanna know how much money you have into that thing. I'm a broke college kid right now ...well more like a broke technical school kid I should say. I probably have under 500 into mine. I can't wait to throw some money into this thing :D

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha I don't even wanna know how much money you have into that thing. I'm a broke college kid right now ...well more like a broke technical school kid I should say. I probably have under 500 into mine. I can't wait to throw some money into this thing :D

HAHA
$500
I have spent close to that on 1 skid plate ,we are talking TJ now
just spent 1.5X that on my tires

put it like this if you ask me "how much do you have in that thing" the answer will depend on my wife being there or not
if she is there then I will play all dumb and be like "um I dont know not much"
if she is not then I will only tell you WAYYYYYYY to much

kylewilley

Reaction score
yeah I would love to do that but you know can't spend it if I don't have it :p

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I got a few $$$ into mine,just takes time.The link below is my parts list for the pending SFA(crossmember designs are sent to the manufacturer,belly pan plans will be shipped next week).It has taken almost 3 years collecting the parts and I by no means make alot of money.

http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=302821#302821

The biggest thing is to do alot of the work yourself,if you feel comfortable doing them.Makes you feel better about the work and gives you better knowledge when something goes wrong and you need to fix it,and saves money also.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
put it like this if you ask me "how much do you have in that thing" the answer will depend on my wife being there or not
if she is there then I will play all dumb and be like "um I dont know not much"
if she is not then I will only tell you WAYYYYYYY to much

Hahaha X2

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what makes this stuff so fun because everyone is trying different set ups. I just made this post so for anyone that was thinking about it could see the potential of it... Personally I love it the way I made it and I like it twice as much considering I do all the work. Just have fun guys :p

That is what it is all about in my opinion. Well said. Like you I have a very limited Jeep fund. Oh, and don't worry, I don't think I will ever not be a KJ newb, there is always so much more to learn about this vehicle.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
We've been KJ owners for two years and five months so far.

The first accessory I bought was two weeks after owning our Liberty,
and that was a 9500 pound winch, which was too good a deal to pass up!
Two weeks ago I ordered Mopar skid plates and they should be here any time!
I would of liked to of bought better quality skid plates but I cannot afford
those right now with all the other parts I just ordered and figure that
the Mopar skid plates are better than no skid plates at all...
So, depending on how hard I beat on our rig and how much abuse
my gimped up body can take will depend on weather I need the
higher quality/stronger after market skid plates!
Now, two years and five months later I finally ordered a standard Frankenlift I
and Al's upper control arms. That was yesterday.
Oh, I also said what the hell and ordered a Detours Off Road Backbone winch mount today.
At first I was going to buy a Daystar spacer lift and figured I'd rather
wait and go without a lift and do it right the first time with the Frankenlift lift kit!
Then in June. Real tires !
Which ones?
Either Goodyear Wrangler MT/R Tires (Probably the Kevlar ones)
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPi...=Goodyear&tireModel=Wrangler+MT/R+with+Kevlar
Kumho Road Venture MT (KL71) Tires
http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Kumho&tiremodel=Road+Venture+MT+(KL71)
or
Hankook Dynapro MT RT03
http://www.hankooktire.ca/product/tire_light_truck_detail.asp?pid=12

Then when all the parts and accessories are sitting in my rec room, I'll install everything all at once.

I am also a gear head and love my vehicles!
Seeing I dumped over $50000.00 into my classic 1976 Mini, it won't surprise me if I end up building
an SFA KJ down the road in the future!:cool:

I was debt free up until yesterday!:D
So on top of the costs of living and child suport...
And a meager disability pension, I have to spread it out over a longer
period of time.
But, like the age old saying "Good things come to those who wait"
I have a lot of Patience!
When I get everything done I'll be posting lots of photo's and I'll be happier than a pig in sh t!:D

RedJolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tire relocation.

Personally I think the original spare tire location is one of the things that gives the Liberty its personality.:)

Latest posts

Members online