Food for thought

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 3.7 is a reliable engine - it is powerful and fuel efficient for it's size because the 2v\cyl heads breathe excellently, also making the engine a perfect candidate for turbo-charging - don't believe it? - millions have been sold in single and dual-turbo versions: check out all the turbocharged\waste-gated V6 engines in 2-door and 4-door coupes and sedans from the Mitsubishi (and Chrysler) stables - your 3.7L V6 is just an up-sized Mitsu 3-liter V6 - the recent Mitsu Montero V6 was at some displacement near 3.7L, iirc, tho not turbocharged

- the ECM will handle positive manifold pressures based on feedback from the Manifold Air Pressure sensor, also referred to as the Boost sensor - the upgrading parts are out there in local boneyards, and all that may be required is an upgraded ECM program that works with pressure above Baro, rather than below - vacuum, all important to a gasser (patooie!) engine, is just any pressure level that is less than Barometric, or atmospheric, pressure

- stock feedback from the O2 sensors and knock sensor should pull fuel before extensive damage can occur from extreme fuel\air ratio lean-out, and a relay could be added to the warning indicator on the instrument panel to control the wastegate as further protection

- you would also need to deal with EGR, as the valve is expecting vacuum in the intake, as well as specific exhaust gas pressures which will increase drastically when adding the t\c

- you would also need a charge-air cooler, which DCJ thoughtfully provided in the KJ CRD, an exact fit to those less-fortunate KJ versions using that other fuel

- your 3sp\od trans is just a kiddie-sized version of the 48RE used behind the Cummins, and a junior-sized version of the 46RE used behind the 318 Magnum engines in the Dakota\Dacoma\Ram 1500 trucks, so upgrades from the DCJ stables are likely possible, not to mention the aftermarket segment such as Transgo and Suncoast

- the manual transmission may require the clutch\pressure plate from the V8 version to manage the extra power, also the aftermarket segment should have some upgrades

- check it out, should be no hill for a stepper - that's my story and I'm stickin' to it................

Note - the 4-cyl and some Mitsubishi V6's have 4 valves per cylinder - this version has only two per, derived from the base V6 in all platforms - turbocharging applies to the 4 ****** as well as the bent 6

The concept is sound, whether 2v or 4v per cylinder - your engine is an air pump - there are three ways to increase airflow\volume (and fuel rate ) in any air pump\engine in order to increase it's output:

- increase displacement: bore and stroke
- increase rpm: camshaft, valves
- increase applied pressure: turbocharger or supercharger

The last method involves little additional engine modification as the original cam timing, crank (stroke) and pistons (bore) work well with increased pressure to 15psig, even more if the engine is of modern design - if the engine is 140hp at one atmosphere (Bar) 14.7psia, then power can be nearly doubled at two atmospheres (2 Bar) 30psia, or 15psig Boost, as the engine is now pumping twice the volume to which can be added twice the fuel - more air\fuel = more btu = more power - the turbo is essentially free power, operating off the normally wasted btu in exhaust gasses - a supercharger requires parasitic drain from the crankshaft: takes bunches of horsepower to drive that auxiliary air pump

The turbocharger is the easiest route to power, and your engine, at various stages in it's past, was factory-equipped with one or two turbochargers - find the stuff and adapt it - easy enuff, compared to similar upgrades on other engines - try it, you'll like it...............

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pistons on the 3.7L can't handle boost. The upper ring is too close to the top of the piston and the piston will chip under boost.

Additionally, I could be off here, but I think the PCM will not function properly under boost, it'd need to be reprogrammed. The vehicle would run and all, but I think boost would need the PCM to run outside of it's factory-programmed tolerances. You'd probably blow something up (or at a minimum, not see nearly the full value of the power-adder) with a stock PCM.

Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Um, what?

The Chrysler 3.7L V6 has absolutely NO RELATION to ANY Mitsubishi V6.

... and the 42RLE / 45RFE are in no way related to the 48RE used in the HD Dodge Ram... The 48RE is actually a modernized 4 Speed TorqueFlite.

.... huh???

Last edited:

gmctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think you're confusing the 45RFE 5sp auto with the 42, 46, 47 Rx 3sp with o\d series - the 45 is a 4sp or 5sp based on TCM programming - takes a simple reflash to convert it - you are right, and my bad on the 42RLE as it has no bands, unlike the 727 concatenations - I was, of course, thinking the 42RE - and you're right: Mitsu never made a 3.7L - the Montero V6 is their largest

Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Think you're confusing the 45RFE 5sp auto with the 42, 46, 47 RX series - the 45 is a 4sp or 5sp based on TCM programming - takes a simple reflash to convert it - and you're right: Mitsu never made a 3.7L - the Montero V6 is their largest

Just looking at the two engines shows no relation. The 3.7L (Chrysler) is a 90º V6.... The 3.0L (all displacements) Mitsubishi V6 is a 60º V6.

Not confusing any of the transmissions.....

The 42RLE is based on the A604 4 Speed Automatic
The 45RFE/545RFE was an all new design back in 1999.
The 48RE is in fact based on the TorqueFlite.

Regardless, Turbocharging a Liberty isn't a very good idea unless you have a 4 Cyl KJ with the 2.4L. SRT-4 anyone?

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 3.7 is a V6 version of the 4.7 V8. It has NO relation to ANY Mitsubishi engine.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
What about supercharging the 3.7?

That wouldn't work either. There was a supercharger for the 4.7L V8. The reason why you can't boost the 3.7L is the same reason why you can't boost the 4.7L. The engine just doesn't take to boost. As previously said, the piston rings are too high (to help emissions). Boost blows the piston rings, and guess what? That leads to a rebuild.

Boosting the 3.7L/4.7L and expecting reliability and longevity just doesn't mix.

Want a turbocharged KJ? 2.4L or 2.8L CRD.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think you're confusing the 45RFE 5sp auto with the 42, 46, 47 Rx 3sp with o\d series - the 45 is a 4sp or 5sp based on TCM programming - takes a simple reflash to convert it - you are right, and my bad on the 42RLE as it has no bands, unlike the 727 concatenations - I was, of course, thinking the 42RE - and you're right: Mitsu never made a 3.7L - the Montero V6 is their largest
The 45RFE and the 545RFE share the same case but the guts are different to give one more OD gear.You can not reprogram a 45RFE to have the same gear ratio's as the 545RFE,you need to swap some internals for that.A common mod for Grands and Dakota's with the 45RFE is to make the 2nd "2nd" gear ratio available all the time besides just certian speeds when passing at highway speeds.

mikes07kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I'm a newbee here but I have an idea, why not leave a good thing (a jeep thing) alone. Not counting lifts, tires, wheels, armour and lights of course.:D

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You want a turbo, get something made with/for/to handle a turbo. I have put some miles on my Son's Ceyane Turbo. It pins you back into the seat and blows your socks off. It is fun to drive. He also had a Audi A4 turbo I drove to Florida. Nice turbo but the Ceyane is 10x better to drive.. He since has sold the A4 but still has the Ceyane. But they get old fast too. Might as well just throw your drivers licence out the window........Still, he drives his jeep most of the time as it is more fun to drive, he says.

Turbo the 3.7L and watch parts fly.

Dave

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get get some forged pistons if you really want to boost the 3.7. Get a cam, reprogram the puter, 4:10 gears, get a new TC and shift kit, enjoy.. :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I know I'm a newbee here but I have an idea, why not leave a good thing (a jeep thing) alone. Not counting lifts, tires, wheels, armour and lights of course.:D

For a newbie you are pretty darn right on, more so than some of the so called experts that come on here:eek::D:D:D:D:D:D

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone verify this.
My best friends brother is a Chrysler mechanic/tech and claims that the 3.7 liter is actually a 318cid V8 minus 2 cylinders (which would come in a 3.9 liters)
Wrong engine,the 3.7 V-6 and the 4.7 V-8 are the same platform,the 318 is a totally different platform(being a pushrod engine and all).

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
While we're talking about V8 swaps, I've noticed that it's possible to grab a high miles '02 Liberty for the cheap these days.

How about one with a blown 3.7L? :D Think one could be obtainable for about $3k?