Fix-a-flat question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jms

Reaction score
I'm planning on a three day camping trip in Death Valley which will involve driving some rough roads - I'll have the spare tire with me, but in the event I get a second flat along the way somehow, I don't want to be stranded a good hundred miles from the nearest town...

So I'm thinking of bringing a can of fix-a-flat as a last resort. Question is...

a) How much does this f-up the tire? Can it be repaired easily afterward?

b) How far could I drive safely on a tire using this?

c) Anyone got a better alternative?

Thanks.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a last alternative, it's better than walking.

It will probably gum up the TPMS sensors, if you have them, and your mechanic will complain about it when he goes to change the tire out.

AFAIK if it stops the leak, you can re-air and drive all you want on it. It's basically an epoxy that will be pushed out of the hole by the escaping air, and seal it up. However, it will coat everything inside the wheel in gunk.

But if your 30 miles out into the desert on a flat tire, it's what you've got.

Before I used a fix-a-flat can, though, I'd try to use a tire leak repair kit. It's basically the same epoxy, but you get little 'knots' of rubber and a tool to push them through the hole. You coat the rubber knot with the epoxy, shove it into the hole, then clip the excess off. After a few minutes you re-fill the tire with air.

Neither Fix-a-flat or the repair kit will work on massive holes or gashes.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Get one of the tire repair kits
read up on proper use and they are much better than that slimy fix a flat crap
The plugs you get with the repair kits work great when done right and if you have a bigger slit/ hole you can put several in

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm thinking of bringing a can of fix-a-flat as a last resort. Question is...

a) How much does this f-up the tire? Can it be repaired easily afterward?
--softens up the rubber and most places will not repair a tire that has that crap in it,tires looses structural integrity.It's also very toxic and will ruin TPMS sensors if you have them.Expect to buy a new tire if you use it.

b) How far could I drive safely on a tire using this?
--99.9% of the time that junk never works so depending on how big of a leak you may get 0 miles to a few miles.

c) Anyone got a better alternative?
--Tire repair kit and on-board air supply.

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. ..what he said X2!

Spend a few dollars and get a decent plug kit. I've plugged some pretty big holes with those things! Stay away from the can crap.

Sent from my mystical handheld gizmo.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your tire changer will hate you if you ever take it in to be swapped out...and may refuse to work with it...

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, I made up a tire repair kit. You can do that or just buy one. Check any auto parts store or even wallyworld.

Dave

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tire plug kit you are looking at looks great. As for a good compressor you want one that is at least 1 CFM or you will be out there forever filling up your tires. I have 2 compressors I have one cheap little one from harbor freight and I have a larger one that is on my air skid in the back of the jeep that goes to my train horn. The one I have for my air skid is the one. http://www.amazon.com/Industries-MV50-SuperFlow-High-Volume-Compressor/dp/B000BM8RT8

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have that same compressor (MV50)... Inexpensive and works great for refilling when I air down...

Sent from my mystical handheld gizmo.

neald

Reaction score
Tire plug kit for sure! Plus fix a flat was reformulated a few years ago for safety reasons and it ha been pretty much useless ever since. It wont save you in a situation where you would actually need a plug, and if you use it for a case where you just have a slow leak it will most likely throw that wheel/tire way out of balance. Good luck

nocTurNalX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The tire repair kit makes a lot more sense. I think I'm gonna go with this one, which is a bit cheaper but still seems pretty good.

Amazon.com: Rugged Ridge 15104.51 Tire Repair Kit: Automotive

Any reccomendations on a good 12V air compressor would be welcome!

Have you tried the kit already?
I'm on the same boat for a 2-day camping. I was looking at Rugged Ridge kit but a close friend here recommend this kit over rugged ridge
Smittybilt Tire Repair Kit | 4WheelOnline.com

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried the kit already?
I'm on the same boat for a 2-day camping. I was looking at Rugged Ridge kit but a close friend here recommend this kit over rugged ridge
Smittybilt Tire Repair Kit | 4WheelOnline.com
Best to use a kit that uses "safety seal" plugs,they are the best plugs on the market.

If you compare safety seals plugs to others side by side you will understand the difference and only opt for safety seal stuff.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to be trying the rugged ridge plug kit this weekend. Got a screw in my wheel :favorites68: :favorites68: :favorites68: :favorites68:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Going to be trying the rugged ridge plug kit this weekend. Got a screw in my wheel :favorites68: :favorites68: :favorites68: :favorites68:

If you have a screw in your "wheel" you'll need more than a plug kit :shrug::icon_lol:
Now they work great in your tires though ......................:gr_grin:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Pulled a roofing nail out of my mom's tire and patched it with a plug out of a cheap HF kit. Still holding air a couple days later.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A screw in the tire, with some sillycone around it, can work as a makeshift seal. The wife seems to like picking up screws and such with her car. Last one she had, the head was almost ground off, been there a while, and the tire was holding air (yes it went all the way through).