Fix-a-flat question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A screw in the tire, with some sillycone around it, can work as a makeshift seal. The wife seems to like picking up screws and such with her car. Last one she had, the head was almost ground off, been there a while, and the tire was holding air (yes it went all the way through).

Unfortunately, mine was completely flat this morning. I'm going to take the completely rubberized approach :emotions34:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would personally love a kit for off roading. What do you guys recommend?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tire is currently plugged. I must note that this hole is fairly close to the sidewall. Not recommended but I'll be watching it like a hawk. I don't need these tires to last an absurdly long amount of time. Ideally I would have liked to have them another 30k...but I'll be happy with 10-20k more.

I used the Rugged Ridge kit. The confusing part about the kit was that I got what looked like it was like a wax...but the instructions mentioned nothing about what it was for, nor did it have any mention of it in the list of included parts. I didn't use it. The plugs seemed plenty sticky to fill the hole. And sure enough it did. It's not going anywhere for a while.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I would guess that the wax might be to make it easier to insert the plug. I'm no weakling, but it took some pressure to jam the plug in my mom's tire last week.

Like I said, just a guess. :shrug:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of tire plugs, the NTB store by me has a jug on the counter with all the different "things" they've pulled out of tires. Anything from the typical nails and screws, to a screwdriver, part of a pair of pliers, knife blades, you name it. But the most entertaining one they have is a spark plug. That one must have hurt going in!! Apparently, someone followed some misguided instructions on how to "plug" a tire. :happy175:

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worst thing I've had in my tires. Brand-new Geolandar H/T-S on my '93 Bravada...as in 2 weeks old.

Tire guy comes out, with eyes as big as saucers, and says, you gotta see this. And he shows it to me on the tire machine so I'd believe he didn't just set me up.

Peeking out
You must be registered for see images attach

Reassembled
You must be registered for see images attach

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We hit it on a road at an intersection - unmistakable feel and sound - and another truck hit another tool right behind us. By the time we pulled into a parking lot (50 yds), our tires were flat.

I think it was pickup truck with loose tools in the bed crossing the major road too fast and the bump threw out some tools. We looked the next day in the light and there were still some tools there, brushed aside. I think the vehicle in front of me ran over the pliers and made them stand up just right for them to enter the tire handle first.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have ever seen a tire that has had fix-a-flat in it long term wise, you'd never put it in any tire. A car came in with a flat, wasn't the first flat that tire had. Tech pulled it off the wheel, brought it in the show room. The fumes alone made my eyes water, the inside was for the lack of a better phrase ''Looked like it was eaten alive'' the steel belts and cording were exposed in most areas inside the tire. How this tire did not blow out on the interstate has left me boggled. There was not sidewall dust or anything.