Finally...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daves06lrenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I got my 2006 Liberty Renegade as "salvage" back in the start of Summer I have been fighting to locate wiring information (the number 8 (wiring) section was missing in all of my downloads).. I found a download that had it... I had to rewire the area going to the transmission and the transfer case because od a fire under the tunnel... That I got done the hard way by matching wire colors and guessing.... The final item I had to address was the strange one about the door switches and the dome lights... Chrysler has some strange ways of addressing problems... When I turned on the dome lights on the multi-function stalk it would turn "OFF" the dome lights...When I tried to adjust the dash cluster light brightness (turn off the dome lights) the dome lights would come on and that's no good driving at night...

So... I had to fight to see dim the dash cluster and I never had the dome lights come on when doors were opened... The problem was created when I replaced both passenger side doors and the swing out back door,,, The original doors were badly rusted out when I got the Jeep...I found and replaced them with good ones from a pull-a-part yard... Little did I know that the swing door from the factory when new or later on had the wiring harness crushed under the bracket for the door stop ass'y... That door never worked properly for the original owner!!

The wire to sense the swing door was closed was shorted to ground... The back window wiper also didn't work... I had "GLASS" showing up in the display but not "door"

Trying to diagnose these problems without schematics was maddening... Last night with my new found info I jumped into diagnosing the problem in the back door.... I disconnected ALL of the connectors and the dome lights still stayed on...so... I figured there must be a shorted wire in the wiring harness... when I went to pull out the harness i found it was stuck...That's when I found the wires were pinched.... I removed the pinched wires and repaired the one damaged wire and I now have all working correctly....

The "smart" electronics working backwards made a fool out of me (an electronic tech) :)

Simple wiring for door switches no longer exists and the BCM (body control module) is involved in almost all functions...

I hope this "might" help someone else in the future... Now to tackle the transfer case wiring that was burnt up during the fire...
Dave

BTW...I do have the complete service info including section 8 (wiring) if anyone needs it...

Last edited:

Joenavy85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sending the info.

I have an annoying headlight issue that now I can hopefully solve.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BCM's have been a "thing" for a lot longer than the KJ has been in production. They've been causing headaches for home mechanics since the early 90s at least.

My '94 Grand Marquis had one and it controlled a boat load of operations. I think the Panther platforms had a BCM going back into the 87/88 model years.

Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I am also an Electronic Tech although been retired for the last 12 years...retired early at 55 to enjoy the Bushveld here.

The frustrating issue for me is that modules like the BCM, PCM/TCM etc. are all shown as a "Black Box" ie. a square in the Wiring Diagrams with connections coming in and connections going out..cannot open up these boxes easily to diagnose if they are faulty.

Generally speaking though these module are pretty robust I believe...most problems are with wiring shorting to chassis or open circuit or bad connectors. And of course bad grounding!

I have posted this here often but the KJ Service Manuals...including the Wiring diagrams can be downloaded here....excludes 2004 Service Manuals.

Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

daves06lrenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Billwill...
My "job" went away back in 2009 when our country went from repairing electronics to the Chinese "throw away" mind set...

I have been involved in
Consumer Audio
Consumer Video
Commercial and Industrial Video
then service for large commercial multimedia accounts...
All areas stopped providing service/repairs...

I got involved in rebuilding "salvage title" cars because new and used cars were just too costly;;;
My family and friends are now driving cars that were "salvage" and rebuilt by me...
I just rebuilt a 2014 KIA Optima LX for my wife... I got it for $2250 US$ and with parts and paint have less than $3500 in a car that is only 4 years old and has under 52K miles on it...

So from an electronic tech to a body man and mechanic in my retirement... I'm 69 and still VERY active.... I have been a moderator on kia-forums.com since 2010...
My Jeep is my fun toy that will be very useful in northern OHIO, USA winters...

Hope to see you around this forum
Dave