Finally lifting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThatsMrGimp2U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I think im ready to pull the trigger on a lift set up for my liberty. Leaning towards the OME set up from rocky road with the gr2 front struts.

my number 1 concern is ride quality. I spend a ton of time in this thing and thats the main reason im lifting. I will take it offroading from time to time but for the most part this is going to be a 400 mile per week work jeep. That being said, am I okay to go with the GR2's or will the OME's ride much better?

Also I want to order the tophats and isolators so I don't have to disassemble the struts, along with front bump-stops and 2 hockey pucks per side in the rear. I really want to get it to a 2" lift at least. So spacing the clevis about a 1/4 inch and a pair of upper spring isolators in the rear (1 per) should get me there right?

Thanks!

I should add, its an 03, 150k on factory suspension.

*EDIT* Updated Parts List of what I have purchased for my lift:
OME 927 Front Coil Springs
OME 948 Rear Coil Springs
Bilstein 24-139168 Front Struts
Bilstein 24-185660 Rear Shocks
Teraflex Bump Stops
Bilstein Bushing Kit
Hockey Pucks

These items are not required, but give about another 1/2" of lift:

Mopar Rear Upper Spring Isolators (2)
2" Conduit Nuts - Buy these at your local hardware store. They should be 1/8" thick, maximum of 3 per side.

These items are only needed if you dont want to disassemble existing front strut/spring combo:
Gabriel Strut Mount (Left)
Gabriel Strut Mount (Right)
Mopar Front Spring Isolators (2)

*EDIT* I am not going to do a write up but I will post a few notes on my experience:
My struts were assembled at a Ford dealership. You will find many places do not have adequate compressors for these long narrow springs. Expect to pay ~50 for assembly, possibly more if they take apart your old ones.
You do not need to remove the tie rod, or abs sensor.
Disconnect the TOP bolt of the sway bar link BEFORE you detach the upper control arm.
Super easy way of spreading the clevis.
You must be registered for see images attach

You do not need spring compressors for the rear
You do not need to remove the center bolt over the diff (connects upper control arm in rear)
A little bit of grease helps IMMENSELY when putting in bump stops
And a baller torque spec list
Liberty Torque Specs

*EDIT* Before and After Shot

Thanks for all the help guys!

Last edited:

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ome is the way to go! When I lifted my libby I could not believe how much better the jeep handled, and the much improved ride over stock.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go with OME, the ride quality is the best out there
I have OME/Bilstein (a little cheaper setup shock wise) and it rides great
OME springs alone give you 2.5" of lift above new stock height (19" center of wheel hub to bottom of fender) as stated already and 1/4" clevis lift gives you another 1/2" of lift
Then you'd be at 3" of lift, which is a comfortable height
2.5"-3" is the sweet spot for most, me personally I'm sitting at 3 1/4" after settling in
Make sure you go with 927/948 combo which is the heavy duty springs
Also, the rear OME shocks are no longer made so you'll need to get Bilstein, shocks for a Dakota, or similar
Then, get bigger tires and it'll handle like a dream

Measure what you're at now and let us know where you sit currently

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I think im ready to pull the trigger on a lift set up for my liberty. Leaning towards the OME set up from rocky road with the gr2 front struts.

my number 1 concern is ride quality. I spend a ton of time in this thing and thats the main reason im lifting. I will take it offroading from time to time but for the most part this is going to be a 400 mile per week work jeep. That being said, am I okay to go with the GR2's or will the OME's ride much better?

Also I want to order the tophats and isolators so I don't have to disassemble the struts, along with front bump-stops and 2 hockey pucks per side in the rear. I really want to get it to a 2" lift at least. So spacing the clevis about a 1/4 inch and a pair of upper spring isolators in the rear (1 per) should get me there right?

Thanks!

I should add, its an 03, 150k on factory suspension.

Highlighted one mistake right off
Why from there and why those shocks??
Most everything else has been commented on

ThatsMrGimp2U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go with OME, the ride quality is the best out there
I have OME/Bilstein (a little cheaper setup shock wise) and it rides great
OME springs alone give you 2.5" of lift above new stock height (19" center of wheel hub to bottom of fender) as stated already and 1/4" clevis lift gives you another 1/2" of lift
Then you'd be at 3" of lift, which is a comfortable height
2.5"-3" is the sweet spot for most, me personally I'm sitting at 3 1/4" after settling in
Make sure you go with 927/948 combo which is the heavy duty springs
Also, the rear OME shocks are no longer made so you'll need to get Bilstein, shocks for a Dakota, or similar
Then, get bigger tires and it'll handle like a dream

Measure what you're at now and let us know where you sit currently

Will do, thanks for the info! When you guys measure do you go center of hub to bottom of fender? or ground to fender? Also, why the HD springs? I MAY wind up with a bull bar but will not ever have a full bumper/winch.

Highlighted one mistake right off
Why from there and why those shocks??
Most everything else has been commented on

Just a site I ran into, liked how you could order the packages. Should I be looking somewhere else?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Will do, thanks for the info! When you guys measure do you go center of hub to bottom of fender? or ground to fender? Also, why the HD springs? I MAY wind up with a bull bar but will not ever have a full bumper/winch.

Just a site I ran into, liked how you could order the packages. Should I be looking somewhere else?
Measure center of the wheel to bottom of the flare
927/948 combo is all I install, soon as you break them in ride is good
You can order packages anywhere, but if you look up RRO customer service is very hit or miss , sometimes there isn't even any. Another Ohioan still has money owed to him from 2004 before he knew better than deal there.
most deal with jeepinbyal can order just springs/ just shocks etc

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yes center of wheel hub to bottom of fender
You want the HD springs because they're a higher spring rate than the stock ones, the LD (light duty) are about the same so they won't feel as firm and will probably sag quicker
This is all what I would assume but someone else will pitch in with better info on the light duty
All I know is regardless of whether or not you're going to have a winch/bumper you want the HD
I have them and they're what give the 2.5" of lift

For ordering your parts don't look anywhere else but JeepinByAl Quadratec and Amazon
I ordered both front and rear shocks as well as my 927 springs from Amazon all with free shipping and some with lower prices
As for Quadratec, I got my 948 springs from them with free shipping
Everything else from JBA
It's easier to buy all of your parts from one place BUT JBA charges you for shipping, so you're looking at $100 or so more if you buy all parts from them
I got my parts from a couple difference places just to save money and I've had zero issues

ThatsMrGimp2U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not finding the same part numbers you had listed on your build thread, pertaining to the shocks and struts at least.

Front
Bilstein 24-139168 Shock Absorber for Dodge Nitro

Rear
Bilstein 24-185660 Rear Shock for Jeep Wrangler YJ

They look to be the replacements for an older part number. Just wanted to make sure these were good before ordering.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not finding the same part numbers you had listed on your build thread, pertaining to the shocks and struts at least.

Front
Bilstein 24-139168 Shock Absorber for Dodge Nitro

Rear
Bilstein 24-185660 Rear Shock for Jeep Wrangler YJ

They look to be the replacements for an older part number. Just wanted to make sure these were good before ordering.

Go here:
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f203/ome-bilstein-60258/index2.html
Post #14 has links to every part I ordered
If you're wanting to buy your rear springs through Quadratec make sure you call them and tell them you want the 948 HD springs because they only have the 947 listed on the website and those are NOT the ones you want
You have to call to get the 948s
ALSO if you're going with Bilstein rear shocks which are made for a YJ then you need to get the bushing kit from JBA as well because they are more narrow than our upper shock mount

Last edited:

ThatsMrGimp2U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ALSO if you're going with Bilstein rear shocks which are made for a YJ then you need to get the bushing kit from JBA as well because they are more narrow than our upper shock mount

is this something you did? Looks like I posted the same part number you wound up getting.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is this something you did? Looks like I posted the same part number you wound up getting.

It's what everyone has to do when getting the Bilsteins because if you don't then the shock won't be tight in there and will make noise

ThatsMrGimp2U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's what everyone has to do when getting the Bilsteins because if you don't then the shock won't be tight in there and will make noise

Awesome, thanks again! Time to start ordering! Where did you get the bushings btw? idk that I saw that in your list.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Got all the parts ordered. Thanks again for all the help guys!

Be good to have another lifted ( the right way ) KJ in the Toledo area
Be a lot of them from Michigan Indiana, Illinois, Pennsylvania, West Virginia come there to be lifted ! :gr_grin:
Was always fun to pull into Diversified lot and see the techs swarm mine. They had never seen a setup like I run:happy175:

ThatsMrGimp2U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be good to have another lifted ( the right way ) KJ in the Toledo area
Be a lot of them from Michigan Indiana, Illinois, Pennsylvania, West Virginia come there to be lifted ! :gr_grin:
Was always fun to pull into Diversified lot and see the techs swarm mine. They had never seen a setup like I run:happy175:

I have yet to step foot in there. I've called a few times and got the impression that liberty's weren't high on their list of things to be an expert of. I do however frequent big truck and auto next door. Close friend of mine works there.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have yet to step foot in there. I've called a few times and got the impression that liberty's weren't high on their list of things to be an expert of. I do however frequent big truck and auto next door. Close friend of mine works there.

I just always would stop in to mess with them some. The original owner was cool, great guy but after he passed away back in what 05 I think it was and the employees took over it went to heck quickly.
They had tried to lift a KJ for a customer with a spacer lift and messed it all up. One of their employees stopped me one day to see if I knew what to do since they saw mine all the time . LOL
But yes the JBA adjustable coilovers put them over the edge, every employee and every customer was out looking at mine one day. :gr_grin:

ThatsMrGimp2U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, last few questions...

I dont want to have to deal with dismantling the old strut assembly at all. What parts do I need so I dont have to do that? Strut mount obviously, with upper isolater. Was thinking about Monroe for this (decent price on RockAuto). I think I will need the lower isolator as well, but is their any type of "perch" I need for the lower portion? Or a boot?

Also going to be doing the clevis lift and rear iso lift. So grabbing a couple conduit nuts and a pair of upper rear isolators and I should be good right?

Latest posts

Members online